Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underactive Thyroid Symptoms??

Options
  • 30-10-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey everyone,

I've seen alot of posts talking about weight gain etc with under active thyroid gland. I've had an underactive thyroid since i was about 11 and i'm 24 now, however i have no problem with weight gain. I actually can't put on weight and i'm a size 8. Is this extremely unusual or do others have this? I am on 150 of eltroxin daily.

My main question however is what are the symptoms of an underactive thyroid? I'm very bad at taking my meds and because i've had this since i've been so young I don't know whats a symptom and what is just me?

Also has anyone noticed any symptoms from not taking their meds? Sometimes i can go weeks without taking any. Pure forgetfulness.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I suggest you read through the thread on "thyroid misery" which has lots of useful info from some very knowledgeable sufferers.
    Thyroid disorders have a large number of different symptoms but affect individuals in different ways.
    I'm presuming you've discussed all this with your GP/Endo.

Not taking your meds regularly isn't wise as messing with hormones will upset your whole system.
    The one thing I can recommend is that you get back copies of your blood results & learn to understand them. This will allow you to see how your thyroid is functioning after your annual blood tests.

Also read Mary Shomon's article on thyroid on www.about.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, I moved your post from yesterday to the thyroid thread, where you will find lots of useful info.

there's no need to start another thread on thyroid stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement