Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish dogs emigrating then returning to Ireland

• 30-10-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

We may be emigrating soon to the Middle East or further, and taking our dogs with us.

They have ikc papers and are microchipped. So will they need to be quarantined on their return?

Also as mentioned the dogs have both been microchipped, but we have not registered them yet. We were given the microchip numbers but where do we actually register them? The breeder did not give us any info on this at all.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I am only familiar with the procedure of bringing dogs over from an EU country, but if you check here you will find the information you need (information refers to bring pets to the UK, but from there it's no problem bringing them back to Ireland:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sezzie22

You should register your chip in Ireland with FIDO.ie and there is a European registration database called europetnet.com where you can also register.......Microchips are worthless unless registered and seeing so many dgs in pounds who's owners have gone to the trouble of microchipping their pets but have not registered them is astounding!
    Please register your pet as soon as possible!!!
    You may perhaps have to get them new tags if you are going to the middle east- as I do not know if their is any registration database for the UAE.....so perhaps a tag on their collar adding info such as 'SCAN ME I AM MICROCHIPPED AND REGISTERED WITH EUROPETNET.COM or something similar?! In relation to quarantine.....I am unsure but most likely on return to ireland you may have to....however most countries class Ireland as a low rish nation and as such dogs leaving Ireland have limited to no time in quarantine (please speak to your vet about this when you are doing your pet passport, rabies vaccine etc)
    Also- when getting the passport the dogs have to have a clear bloodtest a number of months (??Not 100% on length of time) following their rabies vaccine so I would get the ball rolling on that as soon as possible to ensure your pets are ready and clear to travel when you are. Best of luck with the move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Actually, the rules about rabies blood testing and quarantine changes as of Jan 1, 2012.
    My advice- get Irish pet passports for your dogs (easy as they're already chipped), but as someone else said, make sure your contact info on microchips is current.
    You then have to get a rabies vac something like 21 days before entering Ireland, that's all. I believe you'll also have to get parasite treatment 48 hours before travel into Ireland and have a vet sign off on it. When contacting your vet for the passport, ask them what the current law is (or what it will be as of Jan 1) and they should be able to help you.
    I'd also advise getting recommendations for a local vet in your destination country and meeting them once you arrive to discuss parasites/diseases/toxic plants or animals/etc that we don't have in Ireland that you may come across in your new home (Ireland is pretty lucky in that we don't have many poisonous animals or exotic diseases). Probably worth checking import requirements over there too.

Advertisement