Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers uk use or avoid them?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'll been getting parts for my new computer from amazon and was going to get the gtx570 off them but went out of stock before I could get it, it's also out of stock on komplett.I had a look at OCuk and they have have it in stock with the new batman game with it.

A friend of mine has had bad experience with them and I was wondering if I should get the card off them or use another website(any recommendations)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

You could try scan.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Probably the best in the European market by miles.

I keep going back because of the support I get from them, had a horrendous time there few months back with new RAM and SSD and they talked me through it on the phone and the replacement of parts was simples.

I believe price wise they are pretty much OK.

I buy all my parts from them, and two years ago bought one of their rigs that they sell, and it was a fantastic bit of business.

Couldnt recommend them enough, I'm looking for a new GFX card and if its not on overclockers, I'm not buying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I second the above, I use them a lot and I've never had an ounce of trouble.
    Even price wise when they're not the cheapest I still use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SweetZombie Jesus

Which delivery service would you recommend using on OCuk, Royal Mail, DHL or DPD?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I use the general one, usually get stuff within 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I have used scan and ocuk and find them both good.I use scan mostly for the cheap shipping. Its only GBP3.00 (free uk shipping for members of avforums so just add on the extra for Irish customers). Just have to order over the phone. Their daily offer section can be good for a bargain also.

Scan always DPD and I have found them ok to deal with. Their depo is near by aswell so handy to collect in the evening.

Which delivery service would you recommend using on OCuk, Royal Mail, DHL or DPD?

DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I'd avoid OcUK like the plague. Had a horrific time getting a refund from them recently. Getting my money returned was like getting blood from a stone.

That said, I understand they're supposed to be quite good as long as you don't need to get cash back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

never had any issues with them, ordered several times and delivery by dpd courier is usually spot on.

did have some trouble with not being able to process an order once and posted on the forums and it turned out to be some kind of corruption on my account which they had it sorted very quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I haven't had any direct experience with them so this is all second hand information based from various tech forums. You take the advice of people who have directly dealt with them ahead of mine.

That being said, overclockers seem to have prompt delivery service and relatively good prices (Scan would generally be cheaper). However should something go wrong their customer service is apparently pretty woeful. If you can get the same GTX 570 from scan I think that would be a better option.

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Here's a bigger sample of what you can expect when dealing with this company. It is largely a positive experience, but in reality their rating of 3.8/5 isn't as good as most other top retailers...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/seller?ds=pr&pq=gtx+570&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=20&gs_id=2c&xhr=t&q=gtx+570+overclockers&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=509&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&zmi=overclockers.co.uk&sa=X&ei=IAOwToiALofDhAeqnom_Ag&sqi=2&ved=0CFsQqQwwAg

As far as their prices are concerned, I heard from someone who's dealt with them since they started that they put a 20% mark up on all their goods over a certain value. On their lower value items they would put a much bigger margin on them.

Something I don't like about them is the fact that they auto-accept 5 star reviews on their products, but don't publish any negatives on products or on their service on their own website. That's just being plain dishonest imo :(

If you weren't too set on getting the free game with the card from ocuk you could get the card from dabs.ie and keep the tax money in Ireland.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/pny-geforce-gtx-570-732mhz-1280mb-pci-express-2-0-dl-dvi-i-hdmi-7934.html?refs=4294945034-464760000

Not sure what the delivery charge is, but I'd say it'd work out cheaper altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Effluo wrote: »
    If you weren't too set on getting the free game with the card from ocuk you could get the card from dabs.ie and keep the tax money in Ireland.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/pny-geforce-gtx-570-732mhz-1280mb-pci-express-2-0-dl-dvi-i-hdmi-7934.html?refs=4294945034-464760000

Not sure what the delivery charge is, but I'd say it'd work out cheaper altogether

Pretty sure Dabs have free delivery for orders over like €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Effluo wrote: »
    Here's a bigger sample of what you can expect when dealing with this company. It is largely a positive experience, but in reality their rating of 3.8/5 isn't as good as most other top retailers...

Something funny with that 3.8 rating as well. They've more 1 & 2 star reviews than 4 & 5 star reviews (way more. They've actually got more 1 star reviews than the combined 4 & 5 star ones - take a look).

Running the numbers, it looks like the average review should be sitting at a 2.8 rating (2.748 to be exact).

More helpfully, it looks like a lot of those 1 star reviews are cut from the same cloth as my own problems getting that refund. Ignored messages, delaying tactics and wilful ignorance of DSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

That's odd alright, maybe google uses their own formula which takes into consideration the ratings of their competitors too???

odd

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Had a problem with monitor I ordered with them. Colors were all wrong. Send it back to them (45e) , they kept it for a week, they "test" it,said the colors are fine, charged me for testing 15£ plus extra 10£ for delivery back to me. They didnt even bother to put power supply back in the box. Send it to LG, they agreed colors are wrong and gave me replacement within 2 days.when on the phone with LG support, they were actually really surprised I had this monitor send back bu ocuk. So my experience is really bad. I spend there over 1200 euro, and I am sure I will never buy from them again.

Also wrote to complain letters one for the fact that monitor was not tested, second one for a lack of power supply, got no response.

After reading all the bad reviews about them I think I've been extremely lucky not to have had any problems.
    I'm making a big enough order next week so I might give scan a go instead.

Advertisement