Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Galaxy Tabs and Galaxy S2s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Could be a hijacked account, definately seems too cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Could be a hijacked account, definately seems too cheap
    True. Had someone selling big double door fridges from my account a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

You should be covered using PayPal anyway, so I hope it works out.

I'm always a bit concerned when there are obvious grammar errors like;
    WHEN THERE GONE THERE GONE
    it should be;
    WHEN THEY'RE GONE THEY'RE GONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The S2's are far too cheap anyway, they're currently going for about €470 sim-free on amazon so watch out... Expensive risk to take

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The S2's are far too cheap anyway, they're currently going for about €470 sim-free on amazon so watch out... Expensive risk to take
    No risk really. Worst thing that happens is money back.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, just not familiar with what the procedure would be with an item not showing up, or the item not being as described.. If all goes well, could be a saving of over €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Time for you to read up on ebay scams, one of them is they send you an empty box recorded delivery, as far as PayPal are concerned you got the goods when you signed for them. Make sure you open the box with the delivery guy present before you sign for it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Spotted this seller on eBay selling cheap Galaxy tabs (almost too cheap)

Now I know theres always a risk but transactions are completely covered by Paypal. I've just bought a 64GB Tab for under 500 including postage. Their 750ish RRP

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/magliulo2000/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

The seller also has feedback going back to 2006!

Guy posts with tracking an appropriately weighted package of rocks etc. says contents must have been stolen in transit paypal tells you to follow it up with courier once he has tracking number your life gets very difficult.

paddyp wrote: »
    Guy posts with tracking an appropriately weighted package of rocks etc. says contents must have been stolen in transit paypal tells you to follow it up with courier once he has tracking number your life gets very difficult.
    An item not as described dispute then :)

An item not as described dispute then :)

Read up on other people's experiences of how smoothly all that goes;)

Personally I would never buy a high ticket item from a listing like that.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

really seems wrong, only feedback for things he is selling now is from account that had no activity for past few months

seller has more than 10 items on each listing, and already more than 60 of s2 sold, that is way more than €40000 worth of cellphones listed
    from account with no such activity up to this date

plus, if it is real you may find that there is no manufacturer warranty, etc.

if it seems too good to be true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Sounds to me like counterfeit Chinese. Eventhough the seller is UK based; the offer is too good.

I've bought SD cards from an irish seller, but the post mark has been Hong Kong when I got them.

And no, they didn't have the advertised memory.

Surely if he withdraws your payment from his PayPal account immediately you're screwed as regards a PayPal claim? If there's no money in his PayPal account they can do nowt!

Surely if he withdraws your payment from his PayPal account immediately you're screwed as regards a PayPal claim? If there's no money in his PayPal account they can do nowt!
    No they cover it themselves under protection.

Starting to regret it now but sure whats done is done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

YOURE right to regret it;) Paypal cover is not a banker in this case, and only a silly person would gamble on this one. Its too good to be true, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Do-more wrote: »
    Time for you to read up on ebay scams, one of them is they send you an empty box recorded delivery, as far as PayPal are concerned you got the goods when you signed for them. Make sure you open the box with the delivery guy present before you sign for it.

Had something like this happen to me before. Bought an item on Ebay and lets just say I received an envelope with a coin in it which was registered. Long story short I contacted Paypal who were well up on the scam. Guy said it was a regular and that even the coin was a fake. I had to report it as a crime to my local Garda startion and got a full refund from Paypal.

dodzy wrote: »

YOURE right to regret it;) Paypal cover is not a banker in this case, and only a silly person would gamble on this one. Its too good to be true, simple as that.
    What will be will be

If you are regretting it discombobulate, then it might be worthwhile giving PayPal a ring this morning to say that you are afraid it is a scam and see if they can stop your payment. If there is a problem, and I hope for you there isn't it might be better for you to be proactive about it.

Even if the funds have already been transferred out of the sellers Paypal account PayPal's fraud department will be able to look and see if there are tell tale signs that it is a scam and reverse the payment if you let them know soon enough.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

As Jasmine Tasteless Stork says above - You only get your money back if it's there. I'm still owed the last tenner from a scam transaction over 4 years ago, I was quick enough to manage to catch the first €240.

I'd call Paypal now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It seems too good a price to be true... I'm getting this account checked out.

Opened a dispute anyway. It went straight to a claim as it said the seller is unable to respond. Leeson learned. Dont impulsively buy items too cheap after an afternoon in the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Opened a dispute anyway. It went straight to a claim as it said the seller is unable to respond. Leeson learned. Dont impulsively buy items too cheap after an afternoon in the pub!

Hope it works out in your favour DCB. Hate seeing people getting screwed this way......even if they are laced with alcohol when hitting the "confirm payment" button;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've bought SD cards from an irish seller, but the post mark has been Hong Kong when I got them.
    eBay needs to stamp this out.

if I wanted to buy from Hong Kong I wouldn't have picked Ireland or UK :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There is hardly any point in looking up UK / IRE listings anymore for some categories.

Gone. All items now removed.

Let this be a lesson kids.....if it's too good to be true then it usually isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 artax

I ordered one of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phones. I contacted ebay last night saying I was concerned it was a scam. They checked my account and the purchase and said I should wait the 15 days delivery period and then if it doesnt arrive file a complaint then. At least I've flagged it up as a possible issue, maybe it might even come ?!

artax wrote: »
    I ordered one of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phones. I contacted ebay last night saying I was concerned it was a scam. They checked my account and the purchase and said I should wait the 15 days delivery period and then if it doesnt arrive file a complaint then. At least I've flagged it up as a possible issue, maybe it might even come ?!

Insist Paypal block it now.

Insist Paypal block it now.

So can I contact paypal seperately from ebay, what would I say?

• Advertisement

So can I contact paypal seperately from ebay, what would I say?

Yep, they have a Dublin call centre. If you tell them you believe the sale to be fraudulent they should be able block the transaction.

Sadly the money has already been taken from my credit card via paypal.

I'd contact the seller, for reassurance or, if it was a hacked account, confirmation.

I've contacted the seller regarding delivery times, lets see what happens.

Sadly the money has already been taken from my credit card via paypal.

Call paypal directly and report the suspected fraud. Then call your credit card provider and outline the situation to them also. Don't rely on anyone else to sort it out for you, you need to take action yourself to drive it forward yourself.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This does seem like a scam but FWIW I got a Galaxy S2 brand new here (Hanoi) in a shop for €385 a few weeks ago. They were all foreign carrier models which is maybe a bit strange, but unlocked and boxed with all the sticky plastic stuff still attached. I have a Telstra Australia one but they also had Orange France. I wonder if they buy them abroad subsidised and then do a runner on the contracts?

Galaxy Tabs start even cheaper. You see a lot of people using them or iPads in the cafes.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    This does seem like a scam but FWIW I got a Galaxy S2 brand new here (Hanoi) in a shop for €385 a few weeks ago. They were all foreign carrier models which is maybe a bit strange, but unlocked and boxed with all the sticky plastic stuff still attached. I have a Telstra Australia one but they also had Orange France. I wonder if they buy them abroad subsidised and then do a runner on the contracts?

Galaxy Tabs start even cheaper. You see a lot of people using them or iPads in the cafes.
    Fairplay on that one. Afaik, in some countries, phones cannot be locked by law. In that case, bunking off does sound like how they were got! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

http://www.vatgia.com/home/quicksearch.php?keyword=samsung+galaxy+tab

This would give you an idea of the Tab prices here. 1USD = 21,000VND, 1EUR = 28,800VND. Note some are the older model and some are second hand but new 10.1s seem to start around 9.38m (€328.)

I wouldn't be in a rush to order online but if you happened to be here you can pop into a shop to buy them in the flesh :-) Saigon/HCM is a touch cheaper than Hanoi for electronics. Non-phone electronics are not as dramatically cheaper, suggesting there is some advantage being taken of foreign carrier subsides all right.

Looks like paypal have blocked the sellers account. I've just had the following contact from the seller. It seems like he's potentially legit but as people have complained thinking it was a scam paypal have blocked his account and we've all lost out on a bargain. Shame :(

"hi
    i am not able to send any items sold and paid for to the customers that have bought and paid for them.
    this is because PAYPAL have frozen my account and will not allow me to get your payment to send your item out.
    please understand that this is not my fault i am a hounest seller but i can not send you your item because PAYPAL has your money not me.
    you can get your money back in full from paypal.
    sorry to everyone and please understand that this is not my fault and out of my control as paypal are holding your money not me.
    "

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Looks like paypal have blocked the sellers account. I've just had the following contact from the seller. It seems like he's potentially legit but as people have complained thinking it was a scam paypal have blocked his account and we've all lost out on a bargain. Shame :(

"hi
    i am not able to send any items sold and paid for to the customers that have bought and paid for them.
    this is because PAYPAL have frozen my account and will not allow me to get your payment to send your item out.
    please understand that this is not my fault i am a hounest seller but i can not send you your item because PAYPAL has your money not me.
    you can get your money back in full from paypal.
    sorry to everyone and please understand that this is not my fault and out of my control as paypal are holding your money not me.
    "

Dave

Lack of capitalisation and spelling mistakes would set alarm bells off for me.

Had sent a quick message to Paypal and they said it should be a formality after the review process

• Advertisement

Did the seller do anything to reassure you he was genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Loool. People jump the gun and ruin a good bargain.

Had sent a quick message to Paypal and they said it should be a formality after the review process

What should be a formality, getting a refund or getting the goods?

TheChevron wrote: »
    Loool. People jump the gun and ruin a good bargain.

If the seller really is legit then there are ways for PayPal to verify it. If you look at this seller his history is of normally selling items of £1-£2 value with the very odd £50 item, he has also sold a few cars for a couple of grand a time he certainly doesn't have the appearance of someone who can all of a sudden turn around to selling £50,000+ worth of stock of a few items.

Selling high value electronics at discount prices is the number one target for fraudsters on ebay.

I very rarely buy anything over €100 on ebay and then only from power sellers with a good history and feedback of selling similar items otherwise you are playing Russian roulette.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/ebayscam-teen-14-led-playboy-lifestyle-2915215.html

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    If the seller really is legit then there are ways for PayPal to verify it.

All he has to do is show who he intends drop-shipping with. ...or if he has the stock, he must prove it.

What should be a formality, getting a refund or getting the goods?
    Refund. No hope of getting the goods i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

All he has to do is show who he intends drop-shipping with. ...or if he has the stock, he must prove it.

London rioters maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 0oHawko0

Hey people, Sad my first post is regarding this seller magliulo2000 too.

Im also in the same boat and it dosnt seem good.

If someone which knows ebay / paypal better than i do could point me in the right way, id dont want to wait till the end of the month to start claim if its unlikely i wont recieve my item.
    So im asking for idiot instructions to cover myself and hopefully get my money back, do people usually get their money back ?
    Did anyone get any contact details ?

0oHawko0 wrote: »
    Hey people, Sad my first post is regarding this seller magliulo2000 too.

Im also in the same boat and it dosnt seem good.

If someone which knows ebay / paypal better than i do could point me in the right way, id dont want to wait till the end of the month to start claim if its unlikely i wont recieve my item.
    So im asking for idiot instructions to cover myself and hopefully get my money back, do people usually get their money back ?
    Did anyone get any contact details ?
    Hi you should log on to your paypal account and then go t the resolution centre. You should start a dispute for item not received. It will then ask you if you wish to escalate this to a claim. Select this then. After 10 days you should get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 0oHawko0

Only thing is ive been told to wait till 16th Nov before i can claim or is this wrong. Even phoned bank and they said same thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement