Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where buy garam masala?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Anyone know where you can buy garam masala?
    Tried Tesco, no luck.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's fairly available, any Indian or spice shop would stock it. My greengrocers have it on a spice rack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Asian shop near the Luas stop at the Jervis centre in Dublin have it. Some supermarkets should have Schwartz jars of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The asian shop on The Quay in Waterford always has it.
    But that may not of use to you. It would help if you told us your general location & then we may be able to give you more relevant advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dubgal101

make your own, its so handy and the flavour is much better.

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
    2 tablespoons black peppercorns
    1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon, broken up
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon saffron (optional)

Put the cumin, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves in a dry heavy pan over medium-high heat. Toast the spices, stirring occasionally, until they turn several shades darker and give off a sweet smoky aroma, about 10 minutes. Do not raise the heat to quicken the process, or the spices will brown prematurely, leaving the insides undercooked. Cool completely.

Working in batches if necessary, transfer the mixture to a spice mill or coffee grinder and grind to a powder. Stir in the nutmeg and saffron. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

Garam Masala keeps for 3 months.

Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm sure you've tried, but I got mine in Dunnes about 2 months ago after failing to get any in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My local Tesco has it, so maybe the bigger ones stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

buy tesco

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Whilst we're here, any recommendations for what to do with it? I've not used it all that much, but have a good jar of it lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Whilst we're here, any recommendations for what to do with it? I've not used it all that much, but have a good jar of it lying around.

Garam masala is usually made up of the more aromatic spices - cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms etc - and so is best added towards the end of cooking in order to retain the flavours. I usually add a tsp or so about 5 mins before the end of cooking a curry.

Advertisement