Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molex connector wiring- thermoelectric chip

Options
  • 30-10-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

I've managed to get a thermoelectric chip from a scrapped stock at work.
    It runs on 12v DC, so what i would like to do is to put a 4 pin molex connector on it so it can run off the PSU rather than having to have the transformer plugged in along with the PCB it runs off.
    Can anyone tell me which coloured wires are live and neautral on the molex connectors?
    Cheers :D
    Daniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Forgot to say- will be using the chip to dramatically cool my CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yellow +12V
    Red +5V
    Black ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

You would want to be sure that your PSU can handle it. Assuming it's some kind of Peltier cooler they tend to draw huge amounts of power (100W+).

The hot side of the plate also needs massive cooling capacity and from what I have read you won't really see any advantages at all unless you have a monster water cooling rig cooling the hot side of the plate. The cooler will burn out pretty quickly if not adequetly cooled as the hot side is always "hot" regardless of CPU load. I looked into this before and it dosen't turn out to be worth the trouble really.

Thanks guys!

Its a chip taken from an Oasis Homecooler. I'm no electrical expert, but it runs off 12v DC so i think it'll be ok. They don't have a massive heatsink on them, so I imagine a good CPU block will suffice.

Redisle wrote: »
    I looked into this before and it dosen't turn out to be worth the trouble really.

Got it for free so I'm just going to experiment with it to see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I've a TEC from a Dell XPS H2C I want to re-use in a water cooling system so I'll be going something similar (hopefully)... you may find some useful info in http://www.overclock.net/peltiers-tec/
    but good luck anyway. +1 on the comment from Redisle about the power requirements - you should be able to find out what kind of wattage your TEC needs depending on it's size, but they're very power hungry.

edit - for comparison, here's a kit with a 62mm sq plate, http://www.arqtik.com/products/285TDD.html which draws between 180 and 220 watts.

Second edit... will a molex connector be okay with 12 or 13 amps going through it? are they rated for that kind of current normally?

Advertisement