Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting laptop to tv

• 30-10-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

my toshiba doesn't seem to have a port other than for usb's.has any1 seen this before? what do i get to watch movies from it? or can i do it from my external hardrive? tv has hdmi connection. thanx for reading and for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭asgaard

my toshiba doesn't seem to have a port other than for usb's.has any1 seen this before? what do i get to watch movies from it? or can i do it from my external hardrive? tv has hdmi connection. thanx for reading and for any responses

What's the model of Tosh is it? You might have VGA or S-Video port.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭loishasdied

thanx for reply! i have a vga port but can i get a cable from it to hdmi? or what do i need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Most modern tv's have a vga port then you can jack the sound in separately.

thanx for reply! i have a vga port but can i get a cable from it to hdmi? or what do i need?
    You can get it on ebay or here http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/hdmi-vga-cable/1074067

wow! i was told my both the shop who sold me the tv, and the laptop that that cable didn't exist. is it definitely legit?

• Advertisement

wow! i was told my both the shop who sold me the tv, and the laptop that that cable didn't exist. is it definitely legit?
    Yep, it's legit. The store staff might have no clue about those type of cables/connections. We are only human :)

haha, tis true! so have you used it? a fiver seems too good to be true!

haha, tis true! so have you used it? a fiver seems too good to be true!
    I used DVI-VGA cable. Yep, fiver sounds good. It's worth trying anyway, but it will work. If You have any more queries we are here to help You sort it out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

I'm pretty sure the HDMI to VGA cable in the Adverts.ie ad is for connecting HDMI output to VGA input (e.g. Monitor).

To go the other way you need an something similar to this VGA to HDMI Converter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but my question is related so no need to go starting a new one.

I've just got a new laptop which has a VGA port. However, my TV is ancient and only has an S-Video port. Is it possible to get some sort of VGA to S-Video cable? Or an adaptor or some sort? Does such a thing exist?

I was asking a guy in a local electrical / computing store and he said the only thing i could use is some sort of gaming converter box thing. Is this true? They had them in the shop and they're pretty damn expensive. If needs be I'll get it but if there's a simpler, cheaper alternative, I'll go for that.

Alternatively, could I get a USB to S-Video converter of some sort?

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless here. Any advice or recommendations will be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

^^^

anyone?

Advertisement