Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Battlefield 3] Sunshine & Lollipops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On 1para tonight and one of my squad managed to get a beacon behind C on Damavand, they had CDE and i got behind them and murdered them all at C.

Called all sort of names but with a 200 round PKP i murdered them all :D

And then TIG got banned for talking about the boards league :D

Double win....funny **** altho i missed most of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Getting a proper kill with a jet was a pain alright, all I can say is thank god for the F35's hover and xmas noobs :D
    Ah you can't be serious. The F35s are a heap of sh!te for any sort of a dogfight, which makes them a heap of sh!te full stop because you have to be able to defend against/attack other jets and helicopters.
    raze wrote: »
    Once you're used to jets I think the F35 is a nightmare to maneuver in a dogfight, and its cannon while powerful looks like a peashooter. If you've got rocket pods and air radar the easiest way to get a quick kill in a jet is watching out for jeeps in conquest (you'll see them on the radar, and you can work out which flag they're heading for).
    Err...You sure this actually happens? It's called "air radar" for a reason, i.e. picking up things in the air only. It even says it in the stats, that it reveals all friendly and enemy aircraft.
    This isn't just for the gamerscore - personally I think jets should always play the objective and I hate seeing spawnkilling and runway patrolling. I played yesterday all game in a jet, went 10-0 and about 8 of those kills were from destroying vehicles on the ground. Not only do rocket pods aid teamwork, it's a lot more productive than just shooting other air support.
    Agree 100%.
    I think jets should have a finite number of flares, their engines should stall if you brake too much, they shouldn't have heat seekers, they should glide a lot less when coming in to land and using it as a bumper car against choppers should be a kickable offense. Don't know if many would agree.
    I think this would make it too realistic, and I believe the game isn't meant to be simulator. I'm not sure why you think they shouldn't have heat seakers, as these exist in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

the power of the ban button in a 17 yr olds hand...
    powermad:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Decryptor wrote: »
    Err...You sure this actually happens? It's called "air radar" for a reason, i.e. picking up things in the air only. It even says it in the stats, that it reveals all friendly and enemy aircraft.

I'm 100% sure this happens. I rely on it, doubly so in choppers so I know where tanks and their CITV stations and deployed SOFLAMs are.

Basically, anything that you can spot from infinite distance will show up on the air radar whether or not it's actually spotted - so not just air vehicles, the air radar shows: tanks, mobile and fixed AA, jeeps, MAVs, spawn beacons, SOFLAMs, motion sensors. I think it's a priceless perk.
    I think this would make it too realistic, and I believe the game isn't meant to be simulator. I'm not sure why you think they shouldn't have heat seakers, as these exist in real life.

The only reason I hate heat seekers is that it breeds ineffective pilots. Anybody who has Under The Radar unlocked will NEVER be shot down by heat seekers - and that's a vehicle upgrade, always on and not part of your loadout.

Far too often inexperienced pilots line up behind me and just give me an audible warning that I'm their target. If they shot main cannon I would be at a severe disadvantage.

As it is I can deploy flares while dumping height - remain low until flares restock, and then begin evasive flying to try get behind them.

Everybody struggles with the cannon to start with - and it took me a long time to realise it's the most effective way to take down jets. Heat seekers are a distraction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

I'm 100% sure this happens. I rely on it, doubly so in choppers so I know where tanks and their CITV stations and deployed SOFLAMs are.

Basically, anything that you can spot from infinite distance will show up on the air radar whether or not it's actually spotted - so not just air vehicles, the air radar shows: tanks, mobile and fixed AA, jeeps, MAVs, spawn beacons, SOFLAMs, motion sensors. I think it's a priceless perk.

The only reason I hate heat seekers is that it breeds ineffective pilots. Anybody who has Under The Radar unlocked will NEVER be shot down by heat seekers - and that's a vehicle upgrade, always on and not part of your loadout.

Far too often inexperienced pilots line up behind me and just give me an audible warning that I'm their target. If they shot main cannon I would be at a severe disadvantage.

As it is I can deploy flares while dumping height - remain low until flares restock, and then begin evasive flying to try get behind them.

Everybody struggles with the cannon to start with - and it took me a long time to realise it's the most effective way to take down jets. Heat seekers are a distraction.

Rarely I actually enjoy reading posts these days, but I agree with your style and it never really occurred to me! Will be testing that setup today! Great post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Sry if im wrong but you must be on console flying low in pc means nothing ull get blown to bits (it can help lose a lock on but you still need to come back up to shot) and as for air rader on pc it only picks up air and air only as of the last patch which ps3 didnt get not sure about xbox.

Oh and air jammer on a heli isnt very good in my opinion, with all your diving il just let my gunner pump holes in your heli for above.

Iv come across people with the set up you use and 9/10 time flares will win over jammer cause jammer will go off before iv even let me lock on missiles off giving me a free shot

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Ah you can't be serious. The F35s are a heap of sh!te for any sort of a dogfight, which makes them a heap of sh!te full stop because you have to be able to defend against/attack other jets and helicopters.
    Like everything it depends more on how good the other guy is than what jets are involved.
    In the F35's favour on Oman I can dive low around the buildings for a quick hover to lose an enemy jet and its really handy for taking out choppers as you can pretty much point blank them with two heatseekers and the main cannon :)
    It does however have a huge turning circle unless you risk a hover and the targeting for the main cannon is all over the place.

@raze I tried out the rocket pods but found it hard to make good use of them, I have the guided missile as my next unlock so hopefully that will give me some ground attack firepower.
    I do agree with the heatseekers being a bit of a crutch alright but I need the points until I get my service star :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Yes, but there are strategies when it comes to heat seakers. :) Personally, I don't use them since I unlocked rocket pods and guided missile, but I found them great for getting these inexperienced pilots you mention to turn as soon as the hear the lock on, then shooting them down with the cannon. :D
    Sry if im wrong but you must be on console flying low in pc means nothing ull get blown to bits (it can help lose a lock on but you still need to come back up to shot) and as for air rader on pc it only picks up air and air only as of the last patch which ps3 didnt get not sure about xbox.
    That must be the case, because I've never yet seen any land vehicles appear on the radar. Obviously it would be far easier to shoot tanks and AAs if they did, although I did manage to kill mickfitz twice two nights ago on Kharg with my guided missile. :D
    Like everything it depends more on how good the other guy is than what jets are involved.
    In the F35's favour on Oman I can dive low around the buildings for a quick hover to lose an enemy jet and its really handy for taking out choppers as you can pretty much point blank them with two heatseekers and the main cannon
    It does however have a huge turning circle unless you risk a hover and the targeting for the main cannon is all over the place.
    I suppose they do have the odd good point. :p
    I tried out the rocket pods but found it hard to make good use of them, I have the guided missile as my next unlock so hopefully that will give me some ground attack firepower.
    Rocket pods are probably better than the guided missile. Guided missiles only disable tanks, and then you have to fly off and loop around again before it reloads, so the tank would probably have been repaired at that stage. It's a direct kill though if the tank is down a bit in health, and it does blow up jeeps straight away.

I play BF3 on Xbox mainly, but also have it for PS3. I've just tested on PS3 - and if there's a difference in Air Radar it's just that ground vehicles don't always show up. Normally, if someone is in a tank or whatever they'll always show up on the Air Radar. Post patch it seems that they show up only if they are firing, or if they are spotted. But they do still show up.

Was there a different patch for PC than the recent one for PS3?

As for the Under the Radar perk - I have no idea if that is in the PC version. As it stands on consoles, if you are flying low enough to clip your wings on the ground then in that time you 1. are not on the Air Radar, and 2. cannot be locked onto by heat seekers (it doesn't do anything for laser lock on).

It's tricky because you need to gain height before you can turn, but like I said, if someone is trying to use heat seekers instead of main cannon they are just missing the opportunity to kill me easily.

As regards ECM/air jammer - I don't trust it. In choppers I'm not always playing with people I know, so I can't trust my gunner to know when to use flares as I won't be on a mic with him - so I take that responsibility. Also, ECM seems to only delay a lock, it doesn't actually break a lock if someone is in a position to fire, you still need gunner's flares. I agree with you, if I get a lock after the ECM cloud I fire both barrels straight away. On jets ECM seems to be pointless, you've got afterburners and a high ceiling - you can outrun pretty much any laser lock on.
    @raze I tried out the rocket pods but found it hard to make good use of them, I have the guided missile as my next unlock so hopefully that will give me some ground attack firepower.

You really need clear skies to take full advantage as you'll have to take time to make a lot of distance between your target, gain height and line up while dropping speed. I try to spot armour, then I use afterburners to travel as far away as I can to a position that will give me a long line of sight to the target. Typically on conquest you can make an educated guess which flag the tank will be heading for. As I turn I gain height (I guess around 650-700ft), and hold onto the brake to fly as slowly as possible. Once I've got the jet turned and on target I put the crosshair just below the orange spot icon, or lead the shot by about the length of one tank - the travel time on rocket pods isn't much. If you get the hang of it you can empty your rocket pods fully, then immediately switch to fire a full burst of main cannon and immediately switch back to restocked rocket pods. That needs a really, really long run up, about the distance from A flag to the RU spawn on Kharg, 800+m - but in my experience the pods and cannon will disable a tank, and if you've time for the second set of rocket pods you'll destroy the tank in one pass. However, as an example of a shorter run ~500m - turning from the top of the mountains on Kharg you can disable a tank at C flag and then try take another pass.

They're good against hovering choppers too - just aim high because most pilots gain height when they take fire, but it's a bit of a waste to fire pods on a moving chopper, when the target noses down it's hard to lead the shot so main cannon is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Started messing around with the M26 Mass assault attachment over the weekend. It's not that bad actually, very handy with buck for close quarters like metro or seine. I think it's frag rounds might be more effective than usas's in that the spread its bigger and got a decent range. Got a sniper at A there the other day in seine from across the river, he was behind a barricade but 2-3 shots took him out, got locutus a nice one on karkand from an awkward angle at a. Not sure what the dart ammo does.

Horrible rate of fire would be its only let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Locking onto some pilots show me how bad they are. Some drop flares straight away, others crash into the ground :rolleyes:

=-=

On Wake Island I hovered with the plane and gutted the buildings with the rocket pods, but on a more open map I would've been hit from the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

the_syco wrote: »
    others crash into the ground :rolleyes:

When you say crash into the ground, do you mean they fly straight into the ground or do you mean they clip a building while flying low?

Because I generally try to shake off enemy jets by flying low and trying to weave in between buildings and other structures and well, it doesn't always work out. :pac:

Like this one time, on a laggy server, I was using afterburners and I flew into a crane before the game had loaded it in front of me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

For a long time I've been trying to unlock the soflam, but absolutely suck at sniping, so was getting nowhere. Played a game of conquest on Caspian there and just kept capping b and c over and over again as they kept getting snatched. Banged up over 4k points on recon, got it at last! Ah playing the objective, it makes life so much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

For a long time I've been trying to unlock the soflam, but absolutely suck at sniping.

Pull out a SMG and stick with a squad, Recon can help with spawn beacons and MAVs and such. Especially on Rush game modes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

For a long time I've been trying to unlock the soflam, but absolutely suck at sniping.

Pull out a SMG and stick with a squad, Recon can help with spawn beacons and MAVs and such. Especially on Rush game modes.

I went ahead and tried SMG's out for the first time tonight ... sweet Jesus!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally got to sit down to BF3 again last night for the first time in weeks, thoroughly enjoyed it. Forgot how awesome it is with Teamspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Finally got to sit down to BF3 again last night for the first time in weeks, thoroughly enjoyed it. Forgot how awesome it is with Teamspeak.

On boards TS were ye ? We were all on Craggy TS

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SeantheMan wrote: »
    On boards TS were ye ? We were all on Craggy TS

Yeah I was

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Recently been playing BF3 more than I ever did, getting more involved in dragging my squad(s) around each points. Using vehicles a bit more (but love infantry combat).

Unlocked the L96 for recon yesterday, loving it!
    With less bullet drop and using 8x instead of 12x my accuracy is 42% compared to about 37% or so with other bolt-actions.
    Can't wait to get the straight pull bolt for it! I unlocked the M40A5 around the same time so I might give it a try tonight too.

I tend to go evenly enough between the classes depending on my squad composition, favourite class guns would be:
    Assault - M16A3/AK-74M are beasts, Can even go full auto over medium and long ranges and still kill!

Support - M249. I've always enjoyed bipod deploying, makes me feel like a gunner holding the frontlines!
    Recently trying foregrip/silencers on the support guns, changes the support to more close quarter situations and is a fun difference.

Engineer - Scar-H I have the most kills with but I don't find it a stand out weapon. I've always loved MP5's so when I unlocked the G53 I was in heaven.
    Obviously not the best over longer ranges, but is great when weaving around buildings, especially in Karkand.

BTW, I saw a video of a recon moving his MAV up into the sky and leaving it there. Will the MAV spot on its own, and will it start floating back to earth?
    Wait, found it, might be of interest to some of you:
    A built-in motion sensor can passively detect moving infantry and vehicles beneath the MAV.
    This function detects enemies in an infinitely tall cylinder around the MAV, capable of detecting enemies through roofs and other map features.
    However, the motion sensor function can only detect moving enemies, and it does not provide real-time data on enemy movement, only "pings" of their locations that appear on friendly minimaps.
    If left unattended, the MAV can continue to provide surveillance, and the operator will gain both Spotting and Motion Sensor Assists.

Shy_Dave! wrote: »

BTW, I saw a video of a recon moving his MAV up into the sky and leaving it there. Will the MAV spot on its own, and will it start floating back to earth?

It will drop back down to the ground if you stop using it

• Advertisement

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    it does not provide real-time data on enemy movement, only "pings" of their locations that appear on friendly minimaps.

Worth noting that have to be actively using it to 'spot' enemies and put the triangle over their heads - on its own it just puts them on the minimap. So it'll work as a motion sensor if you're near it, but if you can't see where it is on the minimap it's a bit pointless.

If you're just getting used to the MAV it's worth noting that it can destroy recon equipment, including other MAVs if you can target it you just press the fire button to blow up spawn beacons and the like. Worthwhile if you want to take out a sniper who has glitched his way onto a rooftop, but don't want him to spawn back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If you're just getting used to the MAV it's worth noting that it can destroy recon equipment, including other MAVs if you can target it you just press the fire button to blow up spawn beacons and the like. Worthwhile if you want to take out a sniper who has glitched his way onto a rooftop, but don't want him to spawn back there.

Then after you've destroyed his beacon, use the MAV to nudge him off the roof. He'll be too confused as to wft is going on he won't open his parachute in time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Got my first MVP medal after a solid 70 hours gameplay. :D Anyone notice that they get feck all MVP2/3 in relation to the amount of MVP1s they get?

Anybody else find using the MAV to destroy equipment a bit buggy, as in even though its reloaded it just wont fire or lock on to targets?

There are few things more satisfying than getting almost 1,000 points from taking down a base-raping enemy attack helicopter with stationary AA. :)

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    There are few things more satisfying than getting almost 1,000 points from taking down a base-raping enemy attack helicopter with stationary AA. :)

Headshotting the pilot and watching it fall slowly to the ground while the gunner still keeps shooting as he doesnt realise whats happening :P

I love that quiet moment of expectation when you wonder whether the chopper will be stupid enough to try to base-rape. You watch as he comes over the brow of a hill, and you hold off firing because it could give him time to escape. Then just as he gets close enough, when momentum will keep taking him past your AA, you start firing and watch his crude masterplan come apart at the seams.

I took it personally yesterday when someone tried to spawnkill our team, or maybe just steal our vehicles. Our team was doing well on Firestorm conquest, so I dropped out of the squad and stayed back at the spawn just to prevent their easy kills/thefts. I repsawned as recon, any time the Viper came close it was SOFLAMed, if it didn't listen I jumped in the AA gun, and after it was down I sprinted to the hill outside RU spawn on Firestorm and sniped the opposing helipad. You may kill me in my spawn, but I may kill you at 1309m with a headshot (when I get inordinately lucky).

Halfway through the game (ie after 4 vehicle disables) the chopper seemed to realise there was stuff it could do on the main part of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I don't mind the vehicle theft, compared with spawn raping. It's funny when they parachute out of their chopper to steal your attack heli just as you spawn in it and fly off taking out the chopper full of a squad while the team mate runs around in a panic as the out of bounds timer expires.

Always make me laugh :)

I don't mind stealing vehicles. It's annoying when all four jets and both choppers in the air belong to the other team, true, but there is a risk in getting out on foot in the enemy uncap and trying to reach the other team's airborne vehicles on time.

But there is almost no risk in sitting behind an attack helicopter with heatseekers primed, waiting for the blades to spin up. :mad:

• Advertisement

I don't mind stealing vehicles. It's annoying when all four jets and both choppers in the air belong to the other team, true, but there is a risk in getting out on foot in the enemy uncap and trying to reach the other team's airborne vehicles on time.

But there is almost no risk in sitting behind an attack helicopter with heatseekers primed, waiting for the blades to spin up. :mad:

They're usually both connected though, enemy spawn rapes and then steals.

Its actually kind of funny when they start stealing vehicles on some maps as it leaves them with no-one to fight in the air and completely outnumbered on the ground :pac:

Advertisement