Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condition of dual carriage way at Bunratty

• 31-10-2011 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Are the council going to do anything with the sinking road in bunratty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Start of the 2020 tunnel?

Seriously though. hasn't that dip always been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

phill106 wrote: »
    Start of the 2020 tunnel?

Seriously though. hasn't that dip always been there?

Not as bad and boths sides of the road are affected now, is the blasting in the Quarry a contributing factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Yeah, it is like a roller coaster, especially right pass the overpass going towards Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Didn't they do loads of work on it a few years back? Is it still sinking or did they just stabilise it but leave it dipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Its not dangerous at the moment, just good craic when you drive through it fast. That road is built on bog though and is no doubt sinking. It will become an issue at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I like to pretend I'm Bo from the Dukes of Hazard while I drive there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

MarkR wrote: »
    I like to pretend I'm Bo from the Dukes of Hazard while I drive there.

Could be dangerous to someone who is not aware of the condition with that section of the road, if they didn't have full control of the steering they could panic and veer into someone.

Also the the additional wear to our cars.

Travel that road everyday and it has got worse, there is a section of the bumps which are directly above the underpass when your heading Ennis bound, hopefully there isn't a cave in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Can someone tell me where exactly this piece of road is because I drove in and out it Sunday and I can't say there's any part that struck me as particularly off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

brian2me wrote: »
    Could be dangerous to someone who is not aware of the condition with that section of the road, if they didn't have full control of the steering they could panic and veer into someone.

Also the the additional wear to our cars.

Travel that road everyday and it has got worse, there is a section of the bumps which are directly above the underpass when your heading Ennis bound, hopefully there isn't a cave in.

I was unaware I was driving over an underpass in that section of road ..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Saw sparks from a car there a few weeks ago when iit bottomed out. any bit of extra weight in the car will cause this.

Needs to be fixed but do CCC have the budget?

• Advertisement

Twin-go wrote: »
    Saw sparks from a car there a few weeks ago when iit bottomed out. any bit of extra weight in the car will cause this.

Needs to be fixed but do CCC have the budget?

My car is lowered a silly amount (passat, and the sumps on them are low), and i can do 100kph(*cough*) on either side of the carriageway without any issue.
    Always have car seats, and maybe a buggy in the boot.
    Its kind of like an anti-speedbump, but not those horrible brick ones, more like those long wide ones.
    Actually....If they popped in a speedbump, would nearly even it out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Drove galway-limerick with 4 passangers and lots of heavy equipment last weekend. The motorways in much worse condition round galway. Car was rocking all over the place.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I nearly spilled my beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

brian2me wrote: »

Ah, lighten up. If you are within the speed limit (:P) there is no way that you'd have to swerve on this. I drive a shameful car that has suspension as soft as a water bed and i've no problem there.

Nothing wrong with a little danger folks, reminds us we are alive :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My daughter screams in pain anytime i have to drive this road. She has hip dysplasia and it causes her a lot of pain going over the bumps. Its ridiculous that i have to cause my daughter pain anytime im on that road.

Is it all bumps (like speed bumps etc) that would cause her pain? Would be a nightmare. Roads will never be perfect everywhere, so is there a different type of car or carseat that may help her more? inflatable pillow perhaps?
    Not being flippant, im serious!

Nope, its just that section of road. Its really strange. She screams for me to slow down and stop as soon as i go over the first one. Ive often slowed down to 30mph and it didnt make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's quite bad from a little bit after setrights until around the Shannon turnoff. They did tonnes of work a few years ago to little avail it seems. Some of it is not even lined....

It's quite bad from a little bit after setrights until around the Shannon turnoff. They did tonnes of work a few years ago to little avail it seems. Some of it is not even lined....

Ive only noticed it from the Bunratty bridge until just before the turn-off for Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Melion wrote: »
    Ive only noticed it from the Bunratty bridge until just before the turn-off for Shannon.
    yeah, from exit 6 just before the bridge to exit 7 going toawrds Ennis is the worst, not too bad on the other side

• Advertisement

Now that it has been mentioned, I have been looking out for it as i drive, tis some dip alright just after bunratty turn off, and for a few miles ahead it happens a few times.

Advertisement