Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is switching from James Wellbeloved to Purina a terrible idea ?

• 31-10-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I am currently switching from James Wellbeloved to Purina Beta. is it a really bad move ? would you consider this as a major step down/ downgrade?

Reasons for switching:

- Purina is available in 2 pet shops near me

- JWB went up by £10 even on the UK zooplus website (2 * 15kgs bags)

- Purina Beta available in 3kgs bags, handy when leaving the dogs with their dog minders for a few days

- dont really have the space to be stocking up 15kgs bags

- Purina Beta is often on special offer, yesterday €6.30 for 3kgs

What do you think ? is it as bad as Pedigree ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I feed mine Beta maintenance and her condition is perfect according to the vets. I had her on pet plan pro but it was too rich for her. Where have you read it's as bad as pedigree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

purina is an ok food but not great. My cocker did alright on it but there are better foods in that price range. You have 2 dogs right? Surely you would have to be buying 3kg bags every couple of wks and it would be very annoying? You need to feed a good bit more of purina compared with other better foods think it could be as high as 250g a day. When i send my dog to the minder i either bag up the food into individual meals or just put a pile into a large plastic bag so no need to be changing for that reason.

Can you point me to a food which is as cheap as Purina Beta but better? I pay €38 for a 15Kg bag.

I'm not a fan of these you can do better for the same money posts without any actual proof or evidence? Sounds like pure speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Can you point me to a food which is as cheap as Purina Beta but better? I pay €38 for a 15Kg bag.

I'm not a fan of these you can do better for the same money posts without any actual proof or evidence? Sounds like pure speculation.

Whites dogfood. Purina beta isn't a great food.

Can you point me to documentation to this fact. Not trying to be smart but I'd like to read where Whites is better than Purina? Also how much for a 15 Kg bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Can you point me to documentation to this fact. Not trying to be smart but I'd like to read where Whites is better than Purina? Also how much for a 15 Kg bag?

Sorry I'm on my phone so can't do all the work for you but maybe their website would be a good start? Compare the ingredients and how much you have to feed your dog as well as price.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Beta- 14% meat content listed as 'meat and animal derivatives'. Also had cereals listed as the main ingredient. 38euro
    White's active premium- 21% meat content listed as 'poultry meal', first ingredient. 35 euro
    Redwitch supreme chicken- 24% meat content listed as 'poultry meal', first ingredient. 34.99euro

There are two for you. Dont have time to search for more at the mo.

OP, I'm not a fan of beta, I've seen a lot of dogs who are hyperactive on it and they need to eat a lot of it to fill up on it. In saying that, I'm not a fan of JW either after they were taken over and changed the recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Whites ingredients- Lamb (26%)Rice (26%)BarleyPoultry fat
    Sugar beet pulp
    Brewers yeast
    Yucca extract
    Minerals
    VitaminsOmega 3

Beta ingredients-
    Cereals (wholegrain 20%, rice 4%), Meat and animal derivatives (meat 14%, lamb 4%), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (dried beet pulp 1.1%), Vegetables (dried chicory root 1.1%), Minerals.

€39 for a 15kg bag of whites with free delivery. I know which I'd pick!

Thats cool. I'll give it a try but I've got a full bag of Purina which I need to use up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've just switched to Whites, was previously using Barking Heads but with 2 dogs now it was working out a bit too expensive, Whites seemed the best quality for a decent price, 39 euro for 15kg vs 50 euro for 12kg with Barking Heads, been doing the switch for almost 1.5 weeks now and so far no probs, should have them completely switched by end of the week, also free delivery with Whites and Barking Heads was 5 euro delivery (or go drive 17 miles to my nearest Petworld, the only shop to stock it). Really pleased I feel like I'm getting better value for money and the dogs aren't suffering (so far!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Thanks for all the advice. heard a lot about Whites recently and they now offer free delivery on all 15kgs. . . could stock one bad at a time but with JWB I have to buy 2 bags and my front shed is just not big enough.

Advertisement