Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet services & utilities

• 31-10-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I recently accepted a job in Galway and will be moving there shortly, just doing some research in advance :). I've done a search of the forums and I can't quite find the information that I'm looking for. And individual company websites don't mean much as they always oversell themselves :).

Basically I'm wondering who the best internet provider is. I know that is relative so basically the ISPs with the fastest packages for galway city centre. And who is the most reliable? Thanks for any tips in advance :).

And as a side note. Which companies are generally the best to use for any utilities incase they are not included in rent. I.E electricity, heating etc.

Anyway thanks for any information and these boards have already been incredibly helpful just through searching around :).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which area will you be staying in?
    Did you have a look over in Broadband forum?
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=galway&f=259&sort=newest&subforums=1
    I'd say UPC are best for speed and reliability.
    I have both UPC and eircom and although both have had issues UPC seems better.

Since you're moving here I've searched even more threads for you to read :D
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=moving+to+galway+site:boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Falalala

Yeah I had a look but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. At the moment I believe I will likely be close to Eyre Square/close to college road. Unfortunately I can't be much more specific than that as I'm yet to have found a definite place to rent.

But UPC have cropped up on my searches. Any idea what kind of speeds are possible..well outside of their 'upto'. I'm on a 'upto' 30mb service in the UK and I'm getting 1 :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Falalala

And thank you for the links, found a lot of that through my own searching but some of it I had missed so much appreciated :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Be aware that some parts of the city get UPC with an aerial, so don't get UPC internet.

Advertisement