Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100k house

Options
  • 31-10-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi All,

Am hoping to build a three bed dormer next year, leaving the upstairs unfinished. would like open plan kitchen living dining.

haven't got any plans yet or even contacted architect, have a few ideas in my head but am at the very very beginning stages.

Budget is 100k fixed, just wondering how realistic this is in today's climate and if ye could shed any light on what I could get for this.

I don't want to have a fancy plan in my head that is unrealistic to my budget.

Am lucky to have my own site, don't think self build would be an option but am open to ideas.

any advice would be appreciated, sorry if post sounds vague but am in the very early phase.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

HoofRocks,
    you haven't said what size? or what part of the country?If i were you i would try to keep the footprint small, and I presume from 'leaving the upstairs unfinished' that this would include some of the bedrooms?

will this 100k budget include professional fees & council charges etc? these could be as much as €20g between them

there are those who are claiming a €600msq basic builder finish at the moment, (but imho) its more realistic to begin with a figure of €1000msq, this figure would at least allow you to build a comfortable home that is comfortably within building regulations.

keep your footprint small, be upfront with your architect and look at the all the options, I'd rather have a small house built well that's cheap to run/heat than a big house half finished.

not finishing the upstairs is an idea many people start with, but ideas tend to grow once the project is started. what about arranging a layout that allows for extending in the future instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

don't have a size in mind whatever my budget allows really. I'm not big into huge houses and love the old cottage styles.
    i'm in the carlow area.

my plan was to have three bedrooms downstairs and then convert if needed the upstairs. designing it in such a way that it can be extended in future is a good idea but then part of me just wants to get it done first time.

i'm not thinking big at all, just simple design and layout. i would be perfectly happy with a 1100 - 1200 sq ft house. i don't want to be paying this off for 40 years!

100k is the budget for everything, if its not enough then the whole idea will have to be put of for a few years.

BryanF wrote: »
    I'd rather have a small house built well that's cheap to run/heat than a big house half finished.

this is exactly how i'm thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

What about "doing" the upstairs now and leave the downstairs as much as possible.

Much easier in longer run

Carlow52 wrote: »
    What about "doing" the upstairs now and leave the downstairs as much as possible.

Much easier in longer run

if i got the downstairs done and and a three bed house within budget i'd be happy

• Advertisement

HoofRocks wrote: »
    don't have a size in mind whatever my budget allows really. I'm not big into huge houses and love the old cottage styles.
    i'm in the carlow area.

my plan was to have three bedrooms downstairs and then convert if needed the upstairs. designing it in such a way that it can be extended in future is a good idea but then part of me just wants to get it done first time.

i'm not thinking big at all, just simple design and layout. i would be perfectly happy with a 1100 - 1200 sq ft house. i don't want to be paying this off for 40 years!

100k is the budget for everything, if its not enough then the whole idea will have to be put of for a few years.
    here's the problem, you start with one thing and then look for 3 down stairs bedrooms! giving a ground floor area of at least 1200sqft:D. I appreciate you've discussed the upstairs staying as a shell but you still have to build the structure! so by my calcs between site works, sewage systems, council fees and professional fees. your down at easily 75g so you want a 1200sqft min ground floor probably 900sqft first floor shell for 75g... I'll hold my views on the standard a builder will deliver for this.

If it were me Id be looking at alternative methods of self-building like the Walter Segal timber or straw-bales etc. But for start maybe pull back to: one bedroom down stairs and plan for a further 2-3 upstairs, keep the floor area much tighter than you've intimated.

would i get a 3 bed bungalow for it? say 1100sq ft even.

HoofRocks wrote: »
    would i get a 3 bed bungalow for it? say 1100sq ft even.
    :D are you haggling for a bungalow or do you want an honest answer.

you seemed to agree with me when i suggested:
    I'd rather have a small house built well that's cheap to run/heat than a big house half finished.
    a bunglow is the least effecient type of building and probably the most costly to build or at least build to a low energy standard anyway.

I think I've honesty already tried to answer your arbitrary question:D
    have a look around boards.ie there are many who will say it can be done,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75256377&postcount=12
    but as you have said:
    don't think self build would be an option
    so may i suggest you hire a local arch to prepare a set of drawings and get them priced.
    best of luck

Advertisement