Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my dog be jealous of a new puppy?

• 31-10-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

The dog I have now is a 10 month old rough collie and I've recently found out that his mother and father had 4 new males and 1 female.
    the pup are too young to leave the mother so I have a few weeks to think about it
    my dog isn't an overly jealous dog. he loves to play with other dogs like my OH's mothers dog and my mothers dog, the only time I have seen him be any bit jealous is when my mothers collie sits next to me he would punch her in the face or sit on her or try to push her out of the way.

what is your experience on bringing home a new puppy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

10mnth old, and now new litter. am i reading this right? 2 litters within the same calender year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to cut in - the question the OP is asking is for advice about bringing home a new pup to a house with a 10 month old dog.
    If anyone wishes to post to question/express concern about the fact there are two litters in such a short space of time from the same mother/parents they can do so but the majority of your post must be about the OPs question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

SirenX - we had our dog for 7 months (at which point she was nearly 2&half years old) before we got a puppy.
    The older dog Lily, was a little bit put out, but you have to be careful how you introduce them, don't just land the pup in the middle of the current dogs territory.
    Make sure your current dog has a safe place it can be away from the pup when it wants to be. Lily could jump up on the couch, or up the stairs to get away from the pup ,who couldn't obviously make it after her. So she had her space. We also made sure they got the same amount of attention, so as to try and prevent jealousy.
    Don't leave them alone together until you are very sure they will be ok. We didn't leave ours alone together for a couple of weeks just to be safe. I'd say the first week Lilys' nose was out of joint, then she sort of accepted it, and after another week or so, she was grand.
    There will always be a bit of jealousy, our younger dog will get jealous when we give Lily rubs/attention, she muscles her way over as if to say 'hello! I'm here, I'm the cute one'.

I'm sure others will have better advice on introducing pups to existing dog households.

A side note: as mentioned by another poster, I would be concerned about taking another pup from the same family given the mother seems to have had very very little time to get over the previous litter. I'd question the ethics of the owners at allowing that to happen, and you could be looking at potentially unwell pups also. I don't think I would personally take a pup from that litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

thanks for the response star-pants.

I would like to say that i know that this is the second time the mother has bred and I will be asking about her. my initial thoughts were of concern. my dog is the first litter of pups that the owner had bred and he does have experience in breeding cows. when I bought my dog I met his mother and father and both looked very healthy and very happy, and the pups seemed the same as well as very socialized. the living condition of both the parents and the pups were good and tbh I'm hoping that the dog got to the bitch during her heat and I will be asking the breeder. the dog I have was also very well vaccinated. I seen the parents and pups twice before purchasing Alpha ( my dog ) and spent hours at the premises talking about the dogs and also his cows :p so to me I find the breeder trustworthy

if I do end up with doubts about the new pup I will be getting another pup anyway as my OH's mother is going to breed her mintier dashhound and ill buy one of them so I still need advice about jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

SirenX wrote: »
    the owner had bred and he does have experience in breeding cows.

No offence OP but my husband is a farmer and has experience in breeding cows and also delivering calfs, but I wouldn't trust him to make sure the dogs vaccinations were up to date and if you asked him what they were fed on you'd get 'um, er, some stuff from the internet, em, comes in a big bag'!! You can't compare breeding cows with breeding dogs, in this country and in this day and age and this current climate (ie Ireland being the puppy farming capital of Europe and being overrun with backyard breeders!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

he def had the dog properly vaccinated as he had the documentation which I also showed my vet who said that he was well vaccinated.

and he told me which food the pups were being fed and then gave me a half filled bag of bakers puppy food for Alpha for when we got home to make sure he 'gets the right amount of protein for growth'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

SirenX wrote: »
    he def had the dog properly vaccinated as he had the documentation which I also showed my vet who said that he was well vaccinated.

and he told me which food the pups were being fed and then gave me a half filled bag of bakers puppy food for Alpha for when we got home to make sure he 'gets the right amount of protein for growth'

Bakers food is pure muck and i would never feed it to a pup. Im sorry, but this person does not sound like a good breeder as no good breeder would feed Bakers to their dogs...
    I would def be questioning why the bitch has been mated back to back, its never a good sign if you ask me.

Advertisement