Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young people's awful taste in television

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

how come The X Factor is the show du jour for snobs to bitch about? Fair eough you don't enjoy it but calling the people who watch it mentally challenged? There's no need to be so horrible.

Anyway, at least it's not pretending to be something it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am young so....

At my 25 I watch:

Family guy
    South park
    American dad
    Father ted
    How I met your mother

It is not the most intellectual comedy, but i love it...

It's easy to be honest: if you don't like it - don't watch it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm 32 and enjoy "The Big Bang Theory" and (less frequently these days) "How I Met Your Mother". I also enjoy "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men", "Boardwalk Empire", etc. It just shows people can have varied tastes - can't just pin them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I am young so....

At my 25 I watch:

Family guy
    South park
    American dad
    Father ted
    How I met your mother

It is not the most intellectual comedy, but i love it...

It's easy to be honest: if you don't like it - don't watch it.

Father Ted and South Park are way more intellectual than the other three TBH, especially feckin' HIMYM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Father Ted and South Park are way more intellectual than the other three TBH, especially feckin' HIMYM.

I am pc gamer. I got 2 monitors up. I play on one of them and on other one I got south park, family guy, American dad, father ted and top gear all seasons playing in random order. ( I am not Irish, but I have seen father ted each episode more then 10 times at this stage, it's fecking briliant )

As for " how I met your mother" I always watch it once and delete it after. It's a good lough alright and way better then that big bang theory.

If there is demand for such show, the will always be supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

1. The Kardashians

2. 16 and pregnant

........Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sorry, but I can't understand all the praise that "Big Bang Theory" seems to be getting in this thread? Pure rubbish, just as bad as 2.5 men if not worse. The same bad joke over and over again, horrible acting, awkward dialogue, boring characters...

If you want to laugh watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

As for the rest of the shows mentioned, unfortunately 99% of the stuff that's on TV is drivel and it's only going to get worse. I find it sad that some people live to watch X-Factor, Eastenders, Coronation Street and then talk about it non-stop in work/on Facebook, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I've noticed a growing trend amongst young adults (say 18-25). They watch horrible, horrible tv programs. A lot of my friends in college watch stuff like Two and A Half Men, Entourage, The X-Factor, The Big Bang Theory (probably the best of this bunch), Gray's Anatomy. All these programs are terrible IMO.

I never saw Two and A Half Men before but decided to watch an episode because everybody was continuously banging on abut it. I was actually in shock when I saw it, it's like a kids program or something, the humour is pathetic.

Here's Two and A Half Men without the canned laughter.

It's almost as if the crappy canned laughter is telling all the brainwashed idiots "you should find this funny" and so they laugh. Everybody seems to have the same kind of sense of humour from it as well.

IMO all these program make people as dumb as a proverbial fly doused in toxic waste.

compared to such epic shows as breaking bad where over the course of a season one can learn an entire chemistry course.

the x factor is the biggest load of b***** ever to be invented, up there with big brother.

i wont mention kate and petes shows on itv3.. :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    bbt is very funny.
    Can't stand 2.5 men at all

watched a few shows of big bang, nerdish and funny. nowt wrong with it.

its deffo watchable. which is more than can be said for 70% of junk on our tv

phasers wrote: »
    how come The X Factor is the show du jour for snobs to bitch about? Fair eough you don't enjoy it but calling the people who watch it mentally challenged? There's no need to be so horrible.

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*rubs eyes

*sniff.

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

1. The Kardasians

2. 16 and pregnant

Christ almighty.

+ 1 on the above. Truly disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

When people actually follow the latest trendy shows, just for the sake of it. Aren't they in the loop :/ that shìt is worse than following the latest musical fad

particularly when thinking their finger is on the pulse with the latest yank drivel, what a cop out. there's a lot of it going around.. if possible their sole subscription would be Sky Atlantic

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Except it is. It claims to be a singing contest when all it is is a competition for who looks the best/has the saddest story. Most of the contestants on the show can't sing. Same goes for the judges who have no qualifications to be judging with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Except it is. It claims to be a singing contest when all it is is a competition for who looks the best/has the saddest story. Most of the contestants on the show can't sing. Same goes for the judges who have no qualifications to be judging with.

Very true. I do think that Leona Lewis (who won it a few years ago) is genuinely talented and easily the best out of any contestant I've ever seen on it but the rest of the nobodies that win just seem to rush out a single for Christmas, release a flop album and then are completely forgotten about when the next season starts. Can't understand why people continue to buy into the glorified Karaoke contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I watch all sorts of ****e. Whats great about tv is that you can watch anything to suit your mood. I tend to turn to "junk" tv like xfactor or some mtv reality show when I want to just switch off and slow down.

Then you can turn to shows that are more stimulating like the wire, sopranos or more recently boardwalk empire as your proper content programs.

But thats only my opinion. It's all subjective like people have been saying so i'm going to watch teleshopping for the next half hour and enjoy looking at products I will never buy. Mindnumbing delight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

calling the people who watch it mentally challenged? There's no need to be so horrible.

Yeah well, it's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

I've noticed a growing trend amongst young adults (say 18-25). They watch horrible, horrible tv programs. A lot of my friends in college watch stuff like Two and A Half Men, Entourage, The X-Factor, The Big Bang Theory (probably the best of this bunch), Gray's Anatomy. All these programs are terrible IMO.

I never saw Two and A Half Men before but decided to watch an episode because everybody was continuously banging on abut it. I was actually in shock when I saw it, it's like a kids program or something, the humour is pathetic.

Here's Two and A Half Men without the canned laughter.

It's almost as if the crappy canned laughter is telling all the brainwashed idiots "you should find this funny" and so they laugh. Everybody seems to have the same kind of sense of humour from it as well.
    Thank you my friend. Agreed with all. I started a thread called mindless drivel on tv... check it out too. Peace and love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Grey's Anatomy?I thought that was just watched by couples in their 30s who have given up on life.Hardly a "young peoples" show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Abi wrote: »
    X factor is for the mentally challenged.

Nuh oh. Somebody watches it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Grey's Anatomy?I thought that was just watched by spinsters in their 40's who have given up on life.Hardly a "young peoples" show.

Fixed.

It's a crap show, that's not what's in question.

What's in question is that if you're judging someone because of what they watch on TV, you're the one with the problem.

I hate watching sports, reality shows, house shows, travel shows and loads of other stuff, but I'd never walk into the sitting room and call my father mentally challenged for watching them.

Similarly, my mother and sister watch the X factor, and if someone walked into our house and saw, and called them mentally challenged, they'd be out on their a*se in no time. There's no need to be using "mentally challenged" as an insult either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

X factor is for the mentally challenged.

I watch The X Factor and am far from mentally challenged. I probably won't get any thanks for my views, though. Because that's exactly what your comment was aiming for, right?

I'm guessing every tv programme you watch is educationally and intellectually stimulating, otherwise you'd have no reason to throw nasty, immature little digs at anyone else would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

There was no question in the op. I dont know how to respond.
    To each their own?

I watch The X Factor and am far from mentally challenged.

I'm guessing every tv programme you watch is educationally and intellectually stimulating, otherwise you'd have no reason to throw nasty, immature little digs at anyone else would you?

Pot kettle?

I'm amused that the X factor watchers care what I think. I'm entitled to my opinion, regardless of what you think of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm amused that the X factor watchers care what I think. I'm entitled to my opinion, regardless of what you think of it :)

Personally, I don't appreciate being labelled as mentally challenged because I choose to watch a popular TV show you happen not to like.

Your comment was more an insult than an opinion, in fairness. However if it amuses you, go right ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nuh oh. Somebody watches it :pac:

Loads of people its very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Still think Extras is the funniest show on tv past few years
    No canned laughter ****e, just amazing writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Personally, I don't appreciate being labelled as mentally challenged because I choose to watch a popular TV show you happen not to like.

Your comment was more an insult than an opinion, in fairness. However if it amuses you, go right ahead :)

I wouldn't ever purposely watch that show,but I also wouldn't watch Star Trek,or Bones or many other shows. I watch the wire,home and away and coronation st. I'm far from having a low intelligence.

IMO there's more to be said about the person commenting on what someone watches,than someone watching a type of show considered not worth watching. It's a sad life you have if you actually judge people based on what they watch.

And I don't see what someone's IQ has to be brought into it for. What we find entertaining is much more to do with our upbringing than intelligence.

As an aside,my nephew who's 11 watches football matches,but also knows the names of every country in the world,their capital cities and could show where they are on a map.so really what you watch has nothing to do with your intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

KilOit wrote: »
    Still think Extras is the funniest show on tv past few years
    No canned laughter ****e, just amazing writing

Agreed, classy show, well written

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Watching sh1te on TV such as Teen Mom, Totally Jodie Marsh and Tool Academy allows me to sit on my couch, muse on the various minor problems I have in my life and think "Well thank fúck I'm not as bad as that"

Trash TV for Life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Ps. I love Entourage and the Sopranos and quality shows like that but there's nothin like a bit of Jersey Shore of a Tuesday night!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

2 and a half men without the canned laughter there was funnier! haha. Very strange.

Can't believe that steve guy from extras is a standup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ainekav wrote: »
    Ps. I love Entourage and the Sopranos and quality shows like that but there's nothin like a bit of Jersey Shore of a Tuesday night!!!

There's nothing like it, alright :(

Advertisement