Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox disc drive reading problem

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

My xbox has a problem reading discs. I have to keep open and close my disc

drive until it reads it. It takes about 15 time of open /close before it reads it.

Anyone know the problem? Is it an easy fix or does it need replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Your laser has moved slightly out of position. This can be fixed quite easily by realigning the laser. Plenty of YouTube clips on how to do it. Just dismantle the xbox (if out of warranty) and turn one of the brass screws a quarter turn on the laser head. Simple stuff and easily done

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If its in warranty, call Xbox and they'll book it in for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

check warranty first, its void if you open up the xbox yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

sounds similar to mine but tbh, mines wouldnt read at all. i ended up gettin a new drive off ebay. just make sure its the same one, there's lite-on, samsung and phillips i think, so much less hassle if you get a like for like, but could be the laser needin slightly adjusted as previious poster said

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Lads if your adjusting the laser pots be very very careful and use a multi meter at all times when doing this.
    Dont lower the resistance by any more than 0.2 ohms at a time and then test and repeat if needed.
    The laser in a 360 if given enough power can actually damage the game discs.
    The better option is just to replace the laser all together,
    The lasers on its last legs anyway if you have to do adjustments a new laser is more long term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm not joking but sometimes giving the Xbox a bash (not to hard ;) ) can solve this prob, just take out any disk and remove the hard drive and thump it while vertical, can help fix this :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm not joking but sometimes giving the Xbox a bash (not to hard ;) ) can solve this prob, just take out any disk and remove the hard drive and thump it while vertical, can help fix this :)

Nick

That can help sometimes if you have a laser thats getting caught in the back of the drive that cant move into the read position.
    I wouldn't recommend doing this though you could damage something else while your bashing your 360.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That can help sometimes if you have a laser thats getting caught in the back of the drive that cant move into the read position.
    I wouldn't recommend doing this though you could damage something else while your bashing your 360.

I used to get open tray for ages until the game would boot. Gave the console a slap and no more problems :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This happened me. Mine was still in wartrenty so i shipped it off, a week later it returned with a note saying it would take to long to repaair so have a new console :cool:

Advertisement