Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Hotel Bray

• 31-10-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the International Hotel is still there or has it been replaced with something else? If so what?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It was destroyed by fire in 1974. There's a bowling alley there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Staplor wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the International Hotel is still there or has it been replaced with something else? If so what?

Thanks.

You haven't been in Bray for a while have you? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Calibos wrote: »

Thanks.

You haven't been in Bray for a while have you? ;):D

Nope, it was an old man who asked me to find out. He went on his honeymoon there. Don't know how to tell him, he'll be gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It was a military hospital during World War .I. and although not a strikingly beautiful building it was miles better than its replacement. When it burnt the fire service had all sorts of problems - ladders too short, mains water pressure collapsed, hoses laid down to the sea and then the tide went out too far for the hoses....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

wow that building was actually pretty beautiful. Such a shame. If it was still there now though would it have survived the recession? That building and the dawsons building and the cash and carry are eyesores. Suppose at least the bowling alley is still open though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nope, it was an old man who asked me to find out. He went on his honeymoon there. Don't know how to tell him, he'll be gutted

Pun Intended?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 befriend1

Aww that is sad now, I am sure he will be heart broken.

They have some old pictures inside though of the old hotel, maybe you could bring him out and make a day of it. :) The beach and stuff have not changed that much and I am sure it was the town as much as the hotel which made his honeymoon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Are the pics in the bowling place?

befriend1 wrote: »
    Aww that is sad now, I am sure he will be heart broken.

They have some old pictures inside though of the old hotel, maybe you could bring him out and make a day of it. :)The beach and stuff have not changed that much and I am sure it was the town as much as the hotel which made his honeymoon. :)

You are kidding aren't you? The beach, promenade etc have changed out of all recognition (for the worse) since the days of the International Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 befriend1

To say it is not even recognisable is a bit of an over statement! The bandstand, kiosks and beautiful railings are still there and of course the view of Bray head. There have been a lot of changes but the main features remain the same and in my opinion it would still be worth the trip.

There is a great Facebook page called Bray- did you know?
    http://www.facebook.com/braydidyouknow It has old pictures which might be of interest.

Any yes, there are pictures of the old hotel inside the Bray Bowl.

Enjoy.......

That's an excellent Facebook page with some great pics - thanks for link - but I don't retract my statement as I grew up in Bray in the 1960s/70s, and today it's not a patch on how it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

foxy06 wrote: »
    wow that building was actually pretty beautiful. Such a shame. If it was still there now though would it have survived the recession? That building and the dawsons building and the cash and carry are eyesores. Suppose at least the bowling alley is still open though.
    Do you mean the cash and carry around the corner from Bray Dart Station? If so I wish someone would move into that cash and carry cause as far as I know it's been closed down for years. Ideal location for the likes of Power City or Harvey Norman to move in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Just stumbled across this thread. A few more interesting photos and information. The International Hotel was a beautiful building even more impressive in the 1800's

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=%22%20Wicklow%20Bray%22&type=Subject

L_CAB_00870.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭firlodge

I watched the International Hotel burn down.
    We stood outside (amazing how they let us get so close) It was a great hotel.
    I remember an old fashioned standard lamp with tassels, burning on the first floor then knocking over and burning the curtains. I have no idea about the details, and I presume the fire services did their best, but it was at the least, surreal.

Advertisement