Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training and recovery tips.

• 31-10-2011 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I was just curious if people have any tips when training and recovering.
    I'm only starting out so I'm experimenting with diet etc.

I usually stick a vitamin C tablet in my water bottle and a protien bar in my pocket when I head out.
    To recover ,I try and eat chicken or take a protien shake ,so that I don't use muscle tissue to supply spent calories. I've read that when loosing weight ,the body will use muscle tissue before fat. Not sure if thats right but it's doing me no harm at the moment.

Hopefully theres loads of different things to try.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

What do you do when you 'head out' - distance? speed? intervals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

Yesterday I did 85KM and no breakfast before it ,had 1 bottle of water with a vitamin c thrown in and a maximuscle protien bar. Later I had chicken for dinner and thats it.

If I cycle an average 40k I will only have water and a small muesli when I get back ,before I go to work.

Speed is always around 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm no expert with regard to nutrition, so take this with a pinch of salt, (excuse the pun :)) but, 85km with no food beforehand seems completely wrong to me, if not borderline unhealthy/dangerous.

If what I'm doing is dangerous ,I honestly haven't noticed anything when I get back apart from being wrecked :)
    I don't get faint or anything but usually half way I get a brick wall I have to climb and then I get this energy that kicks in to keep going.
    I'm sure man had to go a few days without food and chase a few bulls while he was at it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I agree with Russman, not eating before you go for a long spin doesn't sound too clever. I'd have some porridge beforehand, and some kind of electrolytes in the drink as a minimum. I'd also bring two bottles, and often re-fill one of them if I was out for more than a couple of hours, not to mention having a few flapjacks en route.

Your diet sounds very protein heavy and carb light. So far as I'm aware, a greater balance including carbs, proteins and fats works much better. Carbs before and during as fuel, protein for recovery to rebuild muscle.

If what you're doing is working for you than fair play, but I'd bring a few nutrigrain bars with you for the day when things go pear shape and your a long way from home.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'd advise to eat a normal breakfast but nothing 'extra' for the ride. That way you will stil be in calorie deficit. As suggested, slow release carbs like porridge is best.
    No point in bringing protein bar at the intenities you are doing. Keept the protein for more after more intensive work if you get to that stage.
    Start reading some good material on diet etc.

Thanks for that ,I would regard the likes of what your saying as treats, no harm in treating myself when I'm working hard I suppose :)

I do also eat carbs during the day in the form of brown pitta bread ,brown pasta and brown rice ,during work and for dinner.

I eat muesli with milk ,would that be similar to porridge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

The car will not go without fuel in it :D end of story

'I eat muesli with milk ,would that be similar to porridge ? '
    That depends on what's in the muesli. It is a mixture. Some has a lot of fruit which can have a lot of carbs. And some has just plain sugar added for sweetness.
    Try your own receipe. E.g - soak porridge in milk or water overnightl. Add natural yogurt and a spoon of honey in the morning and eat cold. And then experement to your own taste.

Will try that high nellie ,fyi I have being buying lifeforce muesli and have found it to be the lowest of sugars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement