Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Immune Hepatitis?

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

My wife has suffered badly since the birth of our second child 18 months ago. She had very bad hip pains and lately also pains in her wrists as well as suffering general fatigue. Initially we and our doctors put it down to the joys of minding young children with the sleep deprivation and all that goes with it. But the pains and fatigue havent gone away. She has had every type of scan you could mention and there is nothing showing up as being a physical problem. Recently she has has blood tests and the initial results suggest she may have auto immune hepatitis which is a liver condition.. Has anyone any experience of this condition? My wife had a womb infection after the birth and I have been told the failure to clear this up properly may have lead to auto immune hepatitis. It doesnt seem to have a cure but can be managed in various ways depending on the severity of the condition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It doesn't look like anyone here is able to comment. I'm going to move it to Long Term Illness where you may find more support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 princessdippy

Hiya, i have been diagnosed with probable autoimmune hepatitis. my symptoms date back to last october where i was just so tired all the time and vomiting and pain around my liver. i got a blood test done and it was positive for autoimmune so went to see specilist and the repeat blood test was negative so he said it was glandular fever and put me off work for 2 months, then in febuary i ended up in hospital and my liver tests went crazy so i had a liver biopsy done and was started on a high dose of steroids. my liver biopsy was also inconclusive did not definatly diagnose autoimmune so i was weaned off the steroids but i only got 6 weeks off them and my liver tests flared again so my consultant diagnosed the autoimmune based on the trend of my liver tests and i was started on high dose of steroids again and also he added in an immunosuppresant called imuran... that was back in june and i got down to 7.5mg of the steroids and the liver flared again so back up again to the high dose..
    Its a tricky disorder, one that not many people know about, it can be genetic, can be caused by other bacteria or virus's. the specilist i seen thinks it could have been caused by meningitis i had a few years ago or glandular fever.
    Im only 25 and have hardly worked all year because of this illness, it does suck its hard because some days you feel ok the next day your tired. I also have joint pain its a symptom of autoimmune... my advice is to get your wife on the treatment of steroids and probably immunosuppresant will be added in later as you dont want her to get liver damage..

Advertisement