Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's Roast Chicken Sandwich

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

:eek: My wife and I purchased the aforementioned in Tesco's in Castlebar
    recently. It was labelled ' produced in Ireland' but when we read the ingredients it stated that the chicken could have originated in Thailand or Brazil. Come on Tesco!!!!!!!!! Anyone have any thoughts on this.

P.S. No side effects, as yet:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

As far as I know, a lot of the chicken we eat comes from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

It's a common trick to just do a minor part of the processing/assembling of a product in a country that you want to appeal to so that you can say it was made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The definition of ambiguous wording. The sandwich was produced in Ireland, just not necessarily using Irish ingredients.

katopyrgos wrote: »
    P.S. No side effects, as yet:eek:

What do you expect will happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Most if not all hot chicken in deli rolls come from Thailand.

Are you only copping this now?

The label laws here are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

The definition of ambiguous wording. The sandwich was produced in Ireland, just not necessarily using Irish ingredients.

What do you expect will happen?
    I refuse to leave the house - just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The label laws have substantially improved with Europe now passing laws to show the origins of the large ingredients on food labels. Just up to the consumer to challenge stores to display the origin of meats on deli counters were the product only has a counters label.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The label laws have substantially improved with Europe now passing laws to show the origins of the large ingredients on food labels. Just up to the consumer to challenge stores to display the origin of meats on deli counters were the product only has a counters label.
    will definitely be more cautious in future, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

how are the sandwiches ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how are they a joke?

The sandwich was produced in ireland from foreign ingredients.
    The labels state that and can't conceal that it contains chicken from thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Snacks & Sweets.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

and the Chinese eat Duck from Monaghan!

We're in a world market and once food standards are adhered to, there should be no issue.

On all meat products, strict EU rules and regulations must be followed. To give an example of how different these are to other countries, Micael Moors book Downsize This explained how a meat factory in USA could only produce 50% of their normal production when they were preparing meat for the european market compared to their domestic market.

Unless specificlally advertised, I would always assume that any chicken in a deli or a pre pack sandwich is from either China or Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The vast majority of the chicken you consumer probably comes from Asia. It can labelled as Irish when the sandwich is produced in Ireland, this does not mean that the chicken was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

sorry, excuse my ignorance here,lets say i buy plain oul chicken fillets they have to be from ireland yes??or can they be from asia but be packaged in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Hi.
    In regards to the Chicken issue I have noticed that most of their so called 'fresh fish' is also farmed in the far east. Often the label about the fish is below the level of the ice so one can only see name of fish and not location.
    ery cheeky me thinks no that I have anything against vietnamese or Thai fish. i am sure there is more out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

skinny90 wrote: »
    sorry, excuse my ignorance here,lets say i buy plain oul chicken fillets they have to be from ireland yes??or can they be from asia but be packaged in ireland?
    They can package it in Ireland and it gets to use the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The same rule applies to the butchering of meat.

You could have a Brazilian beef carcass imported whole but if the meat is butchered/processed in this country then they can state "Produced in Ireland" on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

thats crazy!!!really cant believe this, is there many butchers at the same craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

skinny90 wrote: »
    If any processing like removal of bones or skin is done then the company are entitled to claim it is produced in Ireland.

You could have a Brazilian beef carcass imported whole but if the meat is butchered/processed in this country then they can state "Produced in Ireland" on the packaging.
    but afaik they are not allowed make the claim that it is Irish beef or 100% Irish.

maxer68 wrote: »
    and the Chinese eat Duck from Monaghan!

We're in a world market and once food standards are adhered to, there should be no issue.

On all meat products, strict EU rules and regulations must be followed. To give an example of how different these are to other countries, Micael Moors book Downsize This explained how a meat factory in USA could only produce 50% of their normal production when they were preparing meat for the european market compared to their domestic market.

Unless specificlally advertised, I would always assume that any chicken in a deli or a pre pack sandwich is from either China or Thailand.

Why China? Is it plastic chicken? Its Brazil and Thailand that are the major chicken exporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

irishh_bob wrote: »
    how are the sandwiches ?

better than most, so if it taste better than a sandwich made with irish chicken, and it's cheaper, I've no qualms

• Advertisement

The above statement is a little misleading, if say you brought in a beef carcass from Brazil and butchered it into the various cuts its still brazillian beef and labelled so. But if you butchered it and say put that meat into a steak and kidney pie it then can be labelled Produced in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's like Smoked Irish Salmon V Irish Smoked Salmon. There is a huge difference. I'm also pretty sure that Donegal Catch has nothing to do with Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dechand

What did the sambo taste like ? poor chicken must have beem severly jetlagged after travelling thousands of kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

dechand wrote: »
    What did the sambo taste like ? poor chicken must have beem severly jetlagged after travelling thousands of kms.

Jetlagged me arse. The poor feckers had to fly under their own steam. How else could they be sold so cheap:D

Why China? Is it plastic chicken? Its Brazil and Thailand that are the major chicken exporters.

Why China? - Because they export a huge amount of finished chicken breast. So there is a greater likelihood the chicken goujons / breaded chicken breasts are from china than any other country. In China the legs, wings & feet are the popular parts leading to oversupply of breast meat which is exported.

If you know anyone in the food industry or working for a local deli - ask them to check the clear bags most of this comes in (already pre cooked too!) and they'll see "product of china" printed on the bag.

Brazil's main chicken export is whole chickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

A lot of the chickens we have in this country come from Holland. One of my buddies old man owns one of the biggest poultry importers in Ireland and gets the majority of his Chickens from the Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I bought a chicken sandwich in Tesco last week. It had mayonnaise on it. Urgh. I gave it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I bought a chicken sandwich in Tesco last week. It had mayonnaise on it. Urgh. I gave it away.
    ...and you were expecting what exactly?

maxer68 wrote: »
    Why China? - Because they export a huge amount of finished chicken breast. So there is a greater likelihood the chicken goujons / breaded chicken breasts are from china than any other country. In China the legs, wings & feet are the popular parts leading to oversupply of breast meat which is exported.

If you know anyone in the food industry or working for a local deli - ask them to check the clear bags most of this comes in (already pre cooked too!) and they'll see "product of china" printed on the bag.

Brazil's main chicken export is whole chickens.

You seem particularly well informed so you will know that we have a healthy export market of chicken thigh, leg and wings to Asia. So it swings both ways.

Just checking Euro trade figures for Poultry Imports and Brazil and Thailand are still the leading exporters into the EU so China must be a new one here.

• Advertisement

You seem particularly well informed so you will know that we have a healthy export market of chicken thigh, leg and wings to Asia. So it swings both ways.

Just checking Euro trade figures for Poultry Imports and Brazil and Thailand are still the leading exporters into the EU so China must be a new one here.

I read a lot if that's what you are saying.

I see nothing wrong in foodstuffs from anywhere in the world and yes we export a huge amount of food to China - even Tayto crisps!!, and as I said previously Silver Hill duckling in monaghan do a roaring trade with China for ducks feet and also to chinatown in london where nearly all the ducks are Irish born & bred.

And then there's the baby formula - 15% of the world's baby formula is Irish made - that's 1 in 7 of the world's babies fed on formula, is drinking good old Irish milk!
    and Irish beef and irsih butter and irish pork

and the one thing they all have in common is quality. So lets not get worked up about a little bit of cheap chicken - we play way above our weight in the world food market.

Advertisement