Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's Roast Chicken Sandwich

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

...and you were expecting what exactly?

Um, I was expecting chicken. In a chicken sandwich. Just chicken, no mayonnaise, no mustard, no jam. Just chicken. As it did say "Chicken Sandwich" not "Chicken and Mayonnaise Sandwich" or even "Chicken Sandwich with Mayonnaise". It said "Chicken Sandwich" so I thought it was a chicken sandwich. Had I known it featured mayonnaise I would not have spent money on it.

Wow, I never thought I'd have to explain that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

maxer68 wrote: »
    I read a lot if that's what you are saying.

I see nothing wrong in foodstuffs from anywhere in the world and yes we export a huge amount of food to China - even Tayto crisps!!, and as I said previously Silver Hill duckling in monaghan do a roaring trade with China for ducks feet and also to chinatown in london where nearly all the ducks are Irish born & bred.

And then there's the baby formula - 15% of the world's baby formula is Irish made - that's 1 in 7 of the world's babies fed on formula, is drinking good old Irish milk!
    and Irish beef and irsih butter and irish pork

and the one thing they all have in common is quality. So lets not get worked up about a little bit of cheap chicken - we play way above our weight in the world food market.

But do we really have quality? The Bord Bia Quality Assurance scheme is a pretty loose standard and more of marketing gimmick than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

The definition of ambiguous wording. The sandwich was produced in Ireland, just not necessarily using Irish ingredients.

What do you expect will happen?
    He might turn into a mutant......

sorry was watching xmen
    The same rule applies to the butchering of meat.

You could have a Brazilian beef carcass imported whole but if the meat is butchered/processed in this country then they can state "Produced in Ireland" on the packaging.
    So the tracability is actually aload of jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Um, I was expecting chicken. In a chicken sandwich. Just chicken, no mayonnaise, no mustard, no jam.
    I would expect at least mayo or butter. I don't think I have ever seen a commercial prepackaged chicken/ham/beef sandwich which would just have plain bread and the plain meat.

I just read the back/side of packs, the front is just usually a bunch of twisted truths and meaningless marketing terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You're winding us up, right?

Nevermind the fact that sandwiches have their ingredients listed, in full, on the back but you hardly realistically expect the sandwich to contain only what the thing is called?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Um, I was expecting chicken. In a chicken sandwich. Just chicken, no mayonnaise, no mustard, no jam. Just chicken. As it did say "Chicken Sandwich" not "Chicken and Mayonnaise Sandwich" or even "Chicken Sandwich with Mayonnaise". It said "Chicken Sandwich" so I thought it was a chicken sandwich. Had I known it featured mayonnaise I would not have spent money on it.

It usually helps to read the full list of ingredients. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I've had "chicken sandwiches" that contained lettuce, tomato and cucumber unannounced. Mayo is the least of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Why not instead of having a produced in Ireland label we have a % produced in Ireland.

IE. The different stages carry points. EG.

50% if the source of the product is grown on an Irish Farm.
    10% if the product is packaged in Ireland
    10% if the product is deboned in Ireland
    10% if the product is landed in Ireland from a foreign country.

That's just an example if ye get me.

So everything should add up too 100% Irish, so the chicken sandwich would be labeled, 10% Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A lot of the chickens we have in this country come from Holland. One of my buddies old man owns one of the biggest poultry importers in Ireland and gets the majority of his Chickens from the Dutch.

And you know what happens them there???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Danno wrote: »
    And you know what happens them there???
    I do. The Netherlands is the centre of the "tumbling" industry, a process in which chicken is bulked up with water and other additives. Dutch processors defrost the meat and then inject it with dozens of needles, or tumble it in giant cement-mixer-like machines, until the water is absorbed. Salted meat attracts only a fraction of the EU tariff applied to fresh meat. The tumbling helps dilute the salt to make the chicken palatable, so as well as making huge profits selling water, the processors can avoid substantial duties. Once it has been tumbled, the meat is refrozen and shipped on for further processing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

msg11 wrote: »
    Why not instead of having a produced in Ireland label we have a % produced in Ireland.

IE. The different stages carry points. EG.

50% if the source of the product is grown on an Irish Farm.
    10% if the product is packaged in Ireland
    10% if the product is deboned in Ireland
    10% if the product is landed in Ireland from a foreign country.

That's just an example if ye get me.

So everything should add up too 100% Irish, so the chicken sandwich would be labeled, 10% Irish.

That doesn't really add up or do you mean your system only applies to meat and fish? Sounds an easy system but its complicated as hell if you use a combination of meat sources to keep your costs down. You may have the traceability in place but its a different matter linking that to an updating a percentage system.

Advertisement