Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wages & hours cut / full time contract

Options
  • 31-10-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi lads,
    I have full time contract with my company who offered me a job in June 2007.
    Contract is for 39-45h a week [full time] and a salary base on per hour basis.

Last year (June 2010) my wages was cut by 6% - all other employer is this company was cus as weel by 6%[1].
    Company promise us to 'review' current situation "next year" and ge us back this 6% this year if possible.
    As well in my workplace I have new manager since Jan 2011 who's not giving me enough hours (around 32 to 36 per week)[2].

So I took an lawyer advice and he told me that - if I not appeal from [1] I CAN'T do nothing now.
    I should be given my hours [2] as per contract.
    It end up that he helped me send letter to HR and they response something like "We will not, and we never promise to review your wages"[1]
    "You will work min 39h/w from now on"[2]

After few weeks from this decision I'm still not getting my 39h.
    One days 32h, some other days 36-39

In this situation I don't want to work anymore for this company as they under payed me around 6.5k from June last year (after I added my lost hours + 6% pay cut)

What are my options? Can I leave and go on "Joobseekers" or any other benefit If I leave now?
    Can I go to continue my college in ex.?

I don't want to loos my fulltime job but I'm quiet frustrated by current situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If your employer gave all staff a 6% pay cut there is nothing you can do about it as it was a cut for all I presume based on the current economic climate

Your contract was given to you in 2007 a very different economic climate that in 2011 and although it states your hours it may no longer be possible for your employer to give you these hours as their just isnt enough work there, things change thats the nature of life and you have to understand that

32 hours a week is still a good amount of hours to be getting

so as I see it you have two choices
    1 - go to you employer and argue your contract, you'll get two outcomes the first if for you employer to give you hours and pay back :rolleyes: so not going to happen the second will be you getting told if your not happy there is the door

2 - understand that there is not a lot of work out there so stay put and ride it through and hopefully the economy and your working situation will improve in the next 5-10years yes I really do think it will take that long

As for jobseekers if you walk out of paid employment without getting fired, or made unemployed then not your not entitled to anything right away you will have to wait depending on where you are anything up to 9-12 weeks for any sort of payment to be processed

I really think your getting upset about nothing as I said 32 hours a week is still a good amount of hours and just 8hours shy of a full working week so I dont really see your problem

Also everyone has gotten a paycut and 6% is nothing I ended up having a 20% one so unless your on minimum wage then really wtf are you complaining about

AND they never under paid you as you had a legal paycut so you have no grounds to ask for that back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If you have a contract for a min of 39hours and have been working 39 hours for a few years then they cannot reduce your hours unless you agree to it. (unless it is specified in your contract)

in the same way they cannot reduce your pay rate unless you agree to the reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If everyone in the company get reduced hours and reduced pay then regardless of whether you agree to it or not it can still be implemented

This happened in the company I used to work for and I enquired with NERA and they said as long as it was for all and no one was singled out and you received it in writing which the OP did then whether you agree or not it can go ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 AdNet

Shelflife wrote: »
    If you have a contract for a min of 39hours and have been working 39 hours for a few years then they cannot reduce your hours unless you agree to it. (unless it is specified in your contract)

in the same way they cannot reduce your pay rate unless you agree to the reduction.

I was given a written notice of 6% paycut - like everyone in company - but I never sign it. I oppose that and send back to HR - I never heard of them again. After 1y I send complain to them and I could not proof it (that I send it back) so they said "Sorry you can't proof it so don't waist our time"
    Cutting my hours is quite personal - I mean my manager is not giving me enough (39h) of hours I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Adnet,

You are complaining that your salary has not gone back to previous levels. Also that you are not working 39 to 45 hours a week and because of this you are owed €0000's.
    Do you have any ideal how things are out there at the moment for business.
    Your manager/company owner may have seen a downturn coming and decided to reduce wages/hours to keep the business going.
    Your lucky to have a job.
    If you were on the dole you would get €188 a week and I am sure you getting a lot more than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

AdNet wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I have full time contract with my company who offered me a job in June 2007.
    Contract is for 39-45h a week [full time] and a salary base on per hour basis.

Last year (June 2010) my wages was cut by 6% - all other employer is this company was cus as weel by 6%[1].
    Company promise us to 'review' current situation "next year" and ge us back this 6% this year if possible.
    As well in my workplace I have new manager since Jan 2011 who's not giving me enough hours (around 32 to 36 per week)[2].

So I took an lawyer advice and he told me that - if I not appeal from [1] I CAN'T do nothing now.
    I should be given my hours [2] as per contract.
    It end up that he helped me send letter to HR and they response something like "We will not, and we never promise to review your wages"[1]
    "You will work min 39h/w from now on"[2]

After few weeks from this decision I'm still not getting my 39h.
    One days 32h, some other days 36-39

In this situation I don't want to work anymore for this company as they under payed me around 6.5k from June last year (after I added my lost hours + 6% pay cut)

What are my options? Can I leave and go on "Joobseekers" or any other benefit If I leave now?
    Can I go to continue my college in ex.?

I don't want to loos my fulltime job but I'm quiet frustrated by current situation.

I wouldnt leave the job if I were you, its so hard to get full time work anywhere now that its lucky you are getting 32 hrs one week and the 39 another week! I know its crap but if all the staff have had their wages cut and hours reduced then there isnt much you can do! its tough that things arent they way they used to be and if you left you wouldnt get jobseekers straight away as you would be leaving of your own accord! If you want to retrain why not do a night course and still keep your job??:)

Advertisement