Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X BOX LIVE or NOT??

Options
  • 31-10-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

As a new Gamer who has just purchased an X Box 360, can someone please advise if there is any point in signing up to XBox Live Gold for one year??:confused:

I signed up for 1 month to see what the deal was but it seems to me that there is no real benefit!!

Sky which I can access on any tv in the house seems to be the only thing there.

Am I missing something:o

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

what kind of games have you got?

i would say easily it's worth €35 for a year, there's nothing better than a quick hop online for a game of street fighter, modern warfare, gears or war etc.(i'm sure people will come up with other examples) when there's nobody else in the house to compete play with you

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

if you only want if for watching sky and single player campaign etc i wouldnt bother but if you like multi player etc then you souhld

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Yes, definitely sign up for Live.
    That is what makes the machine in my opinion.
    I play online most nights with loads of different lads, some I have known form years, some I have met online through Boards.
    Great craic.
    I play mainly Soccer, Golf, Call of Duty against and with these lads.
    Its much better playing with these lads than playing with randomers.
    The Single Player campaigns for games are only there when I get bored of the multiplayer aspect of games (for me anyway).

DO IT !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

theteal wrote: »

i would say easily it's worth €35 for a year, there's nothing better than a quick hop online for a game of street fighter, modern warfare, gears or war etc.(i'm sure people will come up with other examples) when there's nobody else in the house to compete play with you
    Eldoco wrote: »
    if you only want if for watching sky and single player campaign etc i wouldnt bother but if you like multi player etc then you souhld
    claiva wrote: »
    Yes, definitely sign up for Live.
    That is what makes the machine in my opinion.
    I play online most nights with loads of different lads, some I have known form years, some I have met online through Boards.
    Great craic.
    I play mainly Soccer, Golf, Call of Duty against and with these lads.
    Its much better playing with these lads than playing with randomers.
    The Single Player campaigns for games are only there when I get bored of the multiplayer aspect of games (for me anyway).

DO IT !!!!

Thanks Folks

Seems like everyone agrees that its the way to go. Just getting started so only have Battlefield 3 as supplied with the machine!! Looking forward to picking up MW when its released and others like that in the near future.
    Cheers:)

Hi theteal,

Just wondering how you managed to get this price as I think it's €59.00 at the minute:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

www.live-codes.com
    100% Legit.
    I've been using them for years. They email you the code straight away.
    Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Hi theteal,

Just wondering how you managed to get this price as I think it's €59.00 at the minute:confused:

as claiva posted, live-codes are good, there are a few other reputable sites to buy the xbl vouchers from - i think there's a sticky iirc. DO NOT EVER buy direct from microsoft with your credit card, there have been horror stories.

If you want to get some practice for mw3, i'd advise picking up a 2nd hand copy of mw2 (i'm more of a fan of mw1 but it's hacked to bits for the most part :(), they should be going fairly cheap almost 2 years after release

www.live-codes.com
    100% Legit.

Thanks Claiva, Thats the great thing about Boards, a mine of information!!:)
    as claiva posted, live-codes are good, there are a few other reputable sites to buy the xbl vouchers from - i think there's a sticky iirc. DO NOT EVER buy direct from microsoft with your credit card, there have been horror stories.

If you want to get some practice for mw3, i'd advise picking up a 2nd hand copy of mw2 (i'm more of a fan of mw1 but it's hacked to bits for the most part :(), they should be going fairly cheap almost 2 years after release

Thanks theteal.I was just considering doing just that as tbh I am terrible at the minute & would be ashamed to go online with someone relying on me (even if only in Virtual Reality):rolleyes:
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Thanks Folks

Seems like everyone agrees that its the way to go. Just getting started so only have Battlefield 3 as supplied with the machine!! Looking forward to picking up MW when its released and others like that in the near future.
    Cheers:)
    Best game to get with it if you play with friends and a mic

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

anyone play rainbow 6 vegas 2? i had it for the PS3 and then the PS3 broke so when i got the xbox, i was pleasently surprised to pick it up for £10 back home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

www.live-codes.com
    100% Legit.

+1 Never had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Or you could go to an Irish company gamesnash.ie

See their page on boards:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1222

Only €39.99 for one years Xbox live.

I should point out that I have no connection to gamesnash at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I am also wondering if it is worth signing up to Live for a year.
    Just bought an Xbox and have just 1 game (Forza driving game) I have a Wii for gaming as its more family orientated and suits our gaming habits better and will more than likely just use the Xbox as a media streamer/extender from main PC, DVD player and to watch Sky (as we just have a regular Sky account and not multi room)
    Is it necessary to have the Live account to get Sky?
    what are the other advantages of Live if I am not in to gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'm new to Xbox too. Just picked one up. So, if I buy Xbox Live membership, it starts from the day I activate it? Also, I can connect it to my internet provider through use of a wifi modem and the Microsoft wifi adapter?

Is there anyway to make sure it will all work without committing to a years subscription?

Also, once I have the code is it easy enough to see up and get playing online?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

I'm new to Xbox too. Just picked one up. So, if I buy Xbox Live membership, it starts from the day I activate it? Also, I can connect it to my internet provider through use of a wifi modem and the Microsoft wifi adapter?

Is there anyway to make sure it will all work without committing to a years subscription?

Also, once I have the code is it easy enough to see up and get playing online?

Thanks!

First create an account on your Xbox. Then go into the options and look for your wifi connection. This should connect you to Xbox live. You get a months free Xbox live with every new account. Search this forum and you should be able to find all the info you need to get you online. (also some games give you a card with a 48 hour Xbox live subscription.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

bop1977 wrote: »
    First create an account on your Xbox. Then go into the options and look for your wifi connection. This should connect you to Xbox live. You get a months free Xbox live with every new account. Search this forum and you should be able to find all the info you need to get you online. (also some games give you a card with a 48 hour Xbox live subscription.)

Thanks. I'll get cracking on that tomorrow! Too tired to tackle it now.

Advertisement