Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Liked That

Options
  • 31-10-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

As a little lad I liked (when I could get to see them, depending on who had a tv at the time):

Muffin The Mule.
    Four Feather Falls.
    Torchy The Battery Boy.
    Supercar.
    Space Patrol.
    The Woodentops.
    Rag, Tag, and Bobtail.
    Tails of the Riverbank (I was a bit older by this time but even today I still like kids programs.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We were late getting a television, black and white, which my mother rented, For me it was:

Rin Tin Tin
    Lassie
    My Friend Flicka
    Black Beauty
    Skippy
    Flipper
    Anything Disney
    Charlie Chaplin
    Buster Keaton

If it wasn't so late I might remember some others. Funny most are about animals, me being a city girl the only animal I ever had was a cat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Those animal ones my little sister liked too.

It could be gender orientated maybe? I know I couldn't stand them.

Or maybe I have always been grouchy?:pac:

Rubecula wrote: »
    Those animal ones my little sister liked too.

It could be gender orientated maybe? I know I couldn't stand them.

Or maybe I have always been grouchy?:pac:

Aw, anyone who liked Muffin the Mule could never be grouchy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Rubecula wrote: »
    As a little lad I liked (when I could get to see them, depending on who had a tv at the time):

Muffin The Mule.
    Four Feather Falls.
    Torchy The Battery Boy.
    Supercar.
    Space Patrol.
    The Woodentops.
    Rag, Tag, and Bobtail.
    Tails of the Riverbank (I was a bit older by this time but even today I still like kids programs.)

Monday was Picturebook?
    Tuesday was Andy Pandy
    Wednesday was Bill & Ben
    Thursday was Rag Tag and Bobtail
    Friday was The Woodentops

Aha Picture Book, Andy Pandy, and Bill and Ben were just for the kids really.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Wanderly Wagon!

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Wanderly Wagon!

Oh God no!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Forty Coats!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sssssssssssneaky snake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

• Advertisement

Strange how that call is still recognised as being Tarzan after all these years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Twizzle (and the cat who said in miaowly voice 'I don't like this' - I didn't know his name but I've found out that it was Footso)
    Hank the cowboy (but what I remember was very static compared to what they show on YouTube)
    Muffin the Mule
    The Woodentops
    Rag Tag and Bobtail
    Bill and Ben
    Andy Pandy
    Tales of the Riverbank
    Animal Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

The Whirley Birds. Hartley Hare, the Flowerpot men, Thriller, and the Fugitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Mr Ed, Jack Beny, Green Acres and the inimitable Sgt Bilko. I still watch him if he's on the box and can laugh out loud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Obviously what I've given above was available in the UK, but were there any 'homegrown' programmes created by RTE in the 50's and 60's for children that people still have soft spot for? - agus as Gaeilge?

franc 91 wrote: »
    Obviously what I've given above was available in the UK, but were there any 'homegrown' programmes created by RTE in the 50's and 60's for children that people still have soft spot for? - agus as Gaeilge?

RTE Television only began broadcasting in 1961. I can't remember any childrens' programmes in Irish but then I probably wouldn't have watched them anyway if there were any.

What about Seoirse agus Bartley

There was also a ventriloquist and an artist named Blaithin. Had a bit of a crush on her :D. This was about '65 or '66

Ah yes, now I remember Blaithin. She did charcoal drawings, I tried to copy her drawings and failed, but I loved watching her draw. Was that all in Irish though I can't remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The first thing I ever saw on a TV was some swimming competition and being about 4 or 5 at the time, I thought it was most uninteresting - and all this in a darkened living room.

My parents never bought one until I was about 8 or 9, but I didn't watch it much, I preferred the outdoor life.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

franc 91 wrote: »

Wanderly Wagon was the ultimate Irish kids show, but there was also a show called (I think) 10 minute tales, which had Rosaleen Linehan telling old folk stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about the Matchless Mice?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Johnson

Wind in the Willows, which was just a bunch of small animals wandering around looking confused.

Champion the Wonder Horse on a Saturday morning, the only thing which could get me out of bed !

Mr Johnson wrote: »
    Wind in the Willows, which was just a bunch of small animals wandering around looking confused.

Champion the Wonder Horse on a Saturday morning, the only thing which could get me out of bed !

The Wind in the Willows was just the animal kingdom's answer to Jeeves & Wooster!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My take on Mr.Benn. Conceived, shot and edited very hastily. We have learned that writing a script would help immensely. :o
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77460051&postcount=63

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Half way through my muesli .......... Old Goat pops up .......... looking resplendent in fez and sexy sleeveless cardie.
    Could I have a virtual autograph?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love that cardie.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

What about the Matchless Mice?

I remember them!! The intro music was a trad music tune called King of the Fairies...Horslips had it on their LP :P Dancehall Sweethearts released 1974. Anyone for Broigin follows the magic tune? (spelling could be a little off!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ah yes, now I remember Blaithin. She did charcoal drawings, I tried to copy her drawings and failed, but I loved watching her draw. Was that all in Irish though I can't remember?

I vaguely remember her reading out birthday requests and talking through an old tennis racket. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

Loved so many that have previously been mentioned here but Mr Ben was my hero!!
    Oh and also the black and white series of Zorro..

• Advertisement

Remember Ron Ely as Tarzan?

And did you ever see Daktari with Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion?

Advertisement