Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Liked That

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    Remember Ron Ely as Tarzan?

And did you ever see Daktari with Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion?

I was a mega fan of Daktari! And the chimp was Judy! The only humans I remember were Dr Marshall Thompson and Mike Makula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I was a mega fan of Daktari! And the chimp was Judy! The only humans I remember were Dr Marshall Thompson and Mike Makula.

I think shows like that could be given another airing and do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Does anyone remember this one? Used to be one of my favourites and such a lovely song too...listening to it brought back loads of memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Bit of a strange one here. French Canadian soap/drama/comedy/timewaster called The Beachcomers

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Does anyone remember this one? Used to be one of my favourites and such a lovely song too...listening to it brought back loads of memories!

Oh my goodness - it brought this back to me straightaway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I was in England at the time - Andy Pandy, The Woodentops, Sarah and Hoppity (though that scared me), Bill & Ben, and Richard Greene as Robin Hood. Also Ivanhoe, I think. There was also a series of 'fantasy' tales (The Singing Ringing Tree was one of them) dubbed into English, but originally..erm..German? Dr Who on Saturday nights when I was a bit older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Speaking of horses? The one and only ............ Mr Ed

How many of you remember this dreadful thing. Purportedly a sitcom from the 1960's.

Never heard of that one Rubes. Better off, I think.

You are so lucky Jellybaby. I remember watching it and even as a young fella I wanted to throw a brick through the TV when it was on. My little sister thought it was great, and yet now, she can't even remember the show. It must have wound it's way into my tortured mind.

• Advertisement

We tend to record favourite TV series and movies when they come on the box and then transfer to disc to watch when there is nothing on. This year we finally came to the end of our stock and we found ourselves looking at each other saying "now what'll we do?". We have been watching The Syndicate and Homeland recently, also enjoying the series of Parky's interviews, David Niven was classic, and also just discovered Outnumbered is a little gem.

Not one for TV but I read Niven's autobiography (The Moon's a Balloon) and it was very funny. Especially his first foray into, er, conjugal matters.

Spread wrote: »
    Not one for TV but I read Niven's autobiography (The Moon's a Balloon) and it was very funny. Especially his first foray into, er, conjugal matters.

Absolutely! I also have 'Bring on the Empty Horses', which is another great title to start with! What a life, and a great humour too.

I also read John le Mesurier's bio last year which was very interesting. As I read, I could almost hear his voice. I think he liked an easy life! He said himself that he had a 'good war' in India. Couldn't hack it as an ordinary soldier so they made him an officer, nice one! 'A Jobbing Actor' - It's worth a read.

Yes, I also read Bring On The Empty Horses. I knew John Le Mesurier ......... often did the session with him ............ The Mitre in Paddington and then onto an afternoon drinking hole ........ either The Stage & Radio, The London Cry or The New Ambassadors in Orange St. In those days the pubs closed for a few hours at 3pm and if you had a psychological thirst you had to frequent these dens of iniquity. Ahhhhh, those days!:D

Gosh Spread, who don't you know and who haven't you met? You must have a book inside you, or is it already written? Let us know, please! And next on my list will be Rube's life story! :)

Naah you don't need a horror story Jellybaby LOL

Now don't laugh or snigger at this, but I used to watch some kids shows when I was a young 'un.

One of my favourites was Space Patrol.

This link shows you a sort of abridged bit of the show. (Happy memories) I actually prefered it to Fireball XL5.

Don't suppose any of you folks remember it? It isn't on YouTube so I am not sure how the link will work.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=space+patrol+tv+series&docid=4793123927818472&mid=2DEB8CD193C3BAF886382DEB8CD193C3BAF88638&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Don't suppose any of you folks remember it?
    I'm a huge fan of Andersons marination and live action work. Did you get to see Supercar?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_(TV_series)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I remember that one OG. I used to know all the words to the theme song and it's weird how some of them came back to me as I watched the opening of this video.

I'm sure I was no more than a baby, so I must have had super-powers myself to remember the words :D

Marina, Lady Penolopy, Destiny, Melody, Harmony, Symphony and Rhapsody. :cool:

Then came the live action wimmins in purple wigs and silver cat suits. What more could a growing boy wish for? :D

• Advertisement

Now don't laugh or snigger at this, but I used to watch some kids shows when I was a young 'un.

One of my favourites was Space Patrol.

This link shows you a sort of abridged bit of the show. (Happy memories) I actually prefered it to Fireball XL5.

Don't suppose any of you folks remember it? It isn't on YouTube so I am not sure how the link will work.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=space+patrol+tv+series&docid=4793123927818472&mid=2DEB8CD193C3BAF886382DEB8CD193C3BAF88638&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Naw, if it wasn't on RTE in the 60's then I never saw it. But isn't it great the things you can do with empty loo rolls and cornflakes packets!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

They just don't make TV like they used to. Good wholesome shows with an actual point or something to be learned from childrens programmes. Not like the utter tripe they have these days.

Though the most surprising thing about this thread for me was that Rebecula is actually a guy, I thought it was a mesh of Rebecca and Dracula :D

As far as I know, 'Rubecula' is a Robin, you know that little brown bird with the red breast, sits on all our Christmas cards, the ones you send to people you're not really close to! :rolleyes: (I also thought it had something to do with Dracula at first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

As far as I know, 'Rubecula' is a Robin, you know that little brown bird with the red breast, sits on all our Christmas cards, the ones you send to people you're not really close to! :rolleyes: (I also thought it had something to do with Dracula at first)

Thats me told! thanks :)

Glad it wasn't just me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Cant believe that F Troop hasn't got a mention on this so far

Abi wrote: »
    They just don't make TV like they used to. Good wholesome shows with an actual point or something to be learned from childrens programmes. Not like the utter tripe they have these days.

Though the most surprising thing about this thread for me was that Rebecula is actually a guy, I thought it was a mesh of Rebecca and Dracula :D

Aww Abi, and Jelly baby, yes, Erithacus rubecula is the proper name for the European Robin (from my real name) Incidentally the American robin which is a close relative of the blackbird is Turdus migratorious

And thank you for making the comment Abi, and to you Jellybaby thank you for explaining.

Oh by the way OG Supercar was the second of the puppet shows I used to watch following Torchy the Battery Boy and immediately before I watched Four Feather Falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am off-topically flabbergasted. My gast is flabbered. I thought Rube was a female too!

looksee wrote: »
    I am off-topically flabbergasted. My gast is flabbered. I thought Rube was a female too!

To be fair there is a female (Nice lady) who also uses Rubecula as a nick name. She frequents Yahoo I think. Knows a lot about birds too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement