Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tattoo Convention?

Options
  • 31-10-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just heard that the tattoo convention in Dublin next weekend has been cancelled due to water damage in the hotel. The website doesn't show anything about it. Anyone else hear anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yup was said on the facebook group last week that it was cancelled. Should be up and running in the new year seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

sweet,i wouldnt have not been able to attend this year,but i can go next year!!

anyone have any links or info regarding this event? ill like to find out more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Right thanks, better cancel that hotel :D

link for the event http://www.dublintattooconvention.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Do you have to book appointments with the artists before you go up? Or can you just turn up on the day and get them to do it? Never been to one of these before so whole new world to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Whoop :D:D

Delighted it's cancelled :D means I'll be able to go.

You have to book well in advance I<3chem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You have to book well in advance I<3chem

Sometimes you can get an artist to squeeze you in on the day but if there's someone there you really want to get inked by definitely book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kleenex

Just out of interest would all the tattoo artists be recognised as very good artists? Or can any aul artist be working at the Convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The convention is now rescheduled for March 23rd-25th!

Kleenex any artist can attend, but generally because of the cost associated with it, you will get mostly very good artists at the conventions.

what happens at these conventions apart from tattoos?

do u just walk around lookin at the artists tattooing people?

it says there is a 15 euro fee per day to get in, do u get anything for your 15 euro?

regarding the tattoo artists would the fee you pay them be the same fee you would pay if you were to go into a tattoo shop and get one done there?or is it more expensive or less expensive at a convention? i would assume if you walk in off the street and there is a guy sittin around not doin any ink and no appontments mayb he would do a tattoo cheaper then he would do in his studio?

also will the artists have their portfolios with them,if i think i want a tattoo but dont have any ideas,could i just say to the artist "do me some kind of celtic tattoo on my chest" would he draw something up there and then and do it?

is there any alcohol served or food or anything lol,ive never been to any convention of any kind before so sorry for all the questions,i hope someone can answer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CyberJuice wrote: »
    what happens at these conventions apart from tattoos?

Tattooing, piercing (sometimes), entertainment like bands and things. It's usually a fun weekend!

do u just walk around lookin at the artists tattooing people?

If you want yes, or you can get tattooed or just socialize.

it says there is a 15 euro fee per day to get in, do u get anything for your 15 euro?

A wristband and admission :P

regarding the tattoo artists would the fee you pay them be the same fee you would pay if you were to go into a tattoo shop and get one done there?or is it more expensive or less expensive at a convention? i would assume if you walk in off the street and there is a guy sittin around not doin any ink and no appontments mayb he would do a tattoo cheaper then he would do in his studio?

Some artists do a different rate to the studio rate and it can be a bit higher than the studio. Can't see why it'd be lower because materials and things still cost the same.

also will the artists have their portfolios with them,if i think i want a tattoo but dont have any ideas,could i just say to the artist "do me some kind of celtic tattoo on my chest" would he draw something up there and then and do it?

Yes nearly all of the artists will have their work on display with them. It really depends on if the artist you want is busy or booked up for the weekend so that's why you would book in advance and have the tattoo all organized before the convention.

is there any alcohol served or food or anything lol,ive never been to any convention of any kind before so sorry for all the questions,i hope someone can answer

There is a bar in the hotel along with a shop, deli, restaurant and a 4 star pizza down the road!

Hope that helped! Best way to find out is just go to it and see what you think :)

• Advertisement

Thank you for the reply :)

Just wondering would anyone be goin to this on their own?would boards members meet up at it or does nobody organise anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'll be going but not on my own! Im sure if you wanted to go someone here would be your friend for the day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Oooh I can't say I've heard of Dublin Tattoo Convention before. Tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Kleenex wrote: »
    Just out of interest would all the tattoo artists be recognised as very good artists? Or can any aul artist be working at the Convention?

No, not all the artists would be regarded as very good artists. In relation to the Dublin convention there is a fee paid for your booth (about €800 I believe, though that could very well be wrong) so as an artist you have to do more than 4 hours actual tattooing per day to break even.

And there are Irish artists on there who I wouldnt go near in a million years. So attendance of a convention is by no means a measure of quality in the vast majority of cases.

The London Tattoo Convention is the only one I am currently aware of with an 'invitation only' policy to artists.

Out of curiosity, I picked 3 random artists from the "foreigners" :pac:

I can safely say I would not get a tattoo by Bret Zarro or Crying Freeman from the work on display online. However, I am quite impressed by Dani Ardila Escobar.

Advertisement