Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle for Xmas prezzie!

Options
  • 31-10-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals, what's the best offer/value for a Kindle for my mumsy? Any help is much appreciated, thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PC World/Currys are cheaper (€110/€180)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I'm getting one myself & from my shopping round I've found amazon to be cheaper. ITs coming in at around €80 and there's no shipping fees which makes it even btr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kiersm wrote: »
    I'm getting one myself & from my shopping round I've found amazon to be cheaper. ITs coming in at around €80 and there's no shipping fees which makes it even btr

A link to this model would be appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I don't think thats possible if you live in Ireland, not for a new one anyway. If you order a kindle from amazon it will come from the US, you will not be able to order from the UK site (which would still be more than €80), so coming from the US it will include a fee for postage. You will probably end up paying more than the UK price, although not a lot in it.

Things may well have changed since I last looked though, and happy to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I don't think thats possible if you live in Ireland, not for a new one anyway. If you order a kindle from amazon it will come from the US, you will not be able to order from the UK site (which would still be more than €80), so coming from the US it will include a fee for postage. You will probably end up paying more than the UK price, although not a lot in it.

Things may well have changed since I last looked though, and happy to be proved wrong.

I'd say this is the case as I am still waiting for a sniff of a link.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A

Yes you are ordering from the American site but since anything over the £25 mark comes with free delivery you don't have to pay shipping & if you convert the price that you're paying for it $109 it comes in at €78.91.

I use the site www.xe.com to convert it. I haven't ordered my one yet but I will come back to ye when I have and let you know what I've paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A

Yes you are ordering from the American site but since anything over the £25 mark comes with free delivery you don't have to pay shipping & if you convert the price that you're paying for it $109 it comes in at €78.91.

I use the site www.xe.com to convert it. I haven't ordered my one yet but I will come back to ye when I have and let you know what I've paid for it.
    It works out at €118.56 on amazon.com check out page.Amazon add on the vat/duty thats likely to be paid on imports.It might work out a little cheaper if you let the credit card company do the exchange rate.

Items: EUR 82,17
    Shipping & Handling: EUR 15,81
    Total Before Tax: EUR 97,98
    Estimated Tax To Be Collected: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit EUR 20,58
    Order Total: EUR 118,56

I hadn't gone that far on the site so just tried it there and ur rite. I'd only priced it at the front screen but I'm going to contact them to enquire why they're charging shipping when they're advertising for none!

Will let you know how i get on

Well I heard back from Amazon & according to them they can't ship to here due to licensing and since the kindle has to be shipped from the US they're going to charge shipping!

So any discount I thought I was going to get turns out to be wrong sorry bout that looks like i'll be buying mine locally too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My mate is going to America next week and im wondering where would be the cheapest place to buy a Kindle,is it only amazon that sell them in america or do other electronics stores stock them?I dont want him to be looking in a few different stores,wasting up his holiday.Are the prices all fairly similar?
    If amazon are the only sellers can I buy it on my credit card and get it shipped to his hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

yabadabado wrote: »
    My mate is going to America next week and im wondering where would be the cheapest place to buy a Kindle,is it only amazon that sell them in america or do other electronics stores stock them?I dont want him to be looking in a few different stores,wasting up his holiday.Are the prices all fairly similar?
    If amazon are the only sellers can I buy it on my credit card and get it shipped to his hotel?

Ye you can do that. Make sure you get the order in on time so he doesn't miss it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

yabadabado wrote: »

I was in the states a few months ago and the kindle is sold in Radio Shack. May be in other places too but I know for sure I saw it there. See this link from their webpage:Link

Now kicking myself I didn't buy one at the time. You could consider going for the 'special offers' version. You can get the keyboard 3G with special offers for $139 or about 100 euro. The special offers are just sponsored screensavers and from what I've read they don't seem to bother people too much. See this link for that: Link

Advertisement