Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

adhesive crown

• 31-10-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Just wondering if anyone has got or even heard of an "adhesive crown"???
    I need to get a 3 unit bridge and seen this "Adhesive crown" on mod edit, no names as per charter (very last picture), I have never seen any dentist in Ireland offer these, and was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of them?
    Obviously I will ask my dentist on the next visit and see what he thinks but just wanted to get a few opinions first.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Jessy, these are often referred to as "Maryland Bridges" or "Resin bonded bridges". The are a porcelain replacement tooth with two metal "wings" attached to it. The metal wings are bonded to the palate side of the adjacent teeth infront and behind.

They have a number of design problems:
    1. the wings are attached to the other teeth by chemical retention, i.e they are glued to them.
    2. The dentist can provide mechanical retention but this involves drilling the adjacent teeth to provide "rest seats" for the bridge.
    3. They tend to come off pretty easily and bend so each time they are re-fitted they become less accurate and more likely to come off again in future.
    4. they are difficult to clean between and can act as food traps which can lead to decay in the teeth to which they are attached.
    5. They can only be used in areas where there is reduced load placed on the bridge so are not ideal for replacing back teeth.
    6. If you use it to replace a front tooth, the metal wings can be visible behind the adjacent teeth giving them a greyish tint.
    7. They are difficult and expensive to put back on, the placement adhesive kit called Panavia costs up on €300 to buy and most dentists do not keep a kit because it has a short "use period" and few patients need it as the bridges are not popular.

We use them only as temporary bridges while patients are waiting to have implants and where they do not want to where a temporary removable denture.

Lots of dentists here will place one for you but they are a pain in the rear end for patients as you will always be wary of biting on it in case it comes out. They are however pretty cheap compared to the much stronger and better conventional bridge.

Advertisement