Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Data Roaming Bill Shock

Options
  • 31-10-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

OK I know this is really stupid...have been caught out with a massive bill from roaming in the US (data). I didn't leave the data on but did check stuff from time to time.

Before I went I checked Meteor's T&C http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/t_and_cs/ and while the first two paragraphs are EU specific, from there on there is no mention of the EU. Stupidly I believed there to be a warning for other countries too.

Only saw the bill today, have been away for work. It's pretty much the equivalent of a year's bill. Have tried the customer care number multiple times and it keeps getting cut off after I've been on hold forever.

I am sick at this, the bill is larger than my average annual bill. Most of the places we were had wifi so I'm really suspicious of the amount too but how do I query it?

Anyone successfully dispute large roaming data bills with meteor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

athtrasna wrote: »
    OK I know this is really stupid...have been caught out with a massive bill from roaming in the US (data). I didn't leave the data on but did check stuff from time to time.

have you tried ringing customer service? They may reduce it, if you ask nicely, but they are under no obligation to. It is your responsibility to make sure you know the charges for data roaming. Your smartphone will warn you that you may incur extra charges, so you don't really have a leg to stand on, Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steoc5710

Ring them and tell them what happened. Just keep arguing and tell them there is no possible way you're paying it as any internet time was used with WiFi. Might be a good idea to cancel the direct debit just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rang them, explained the story and was told to put it all in an email which I did. I have a little area for temporary recourse in that DD date is today but bill only arrived end of last week. Direct Debit guarantee says I need to have 14 days notice so I can seek a refund under that. I will do if I don't hear back from them within 48 hours.

I accepted the roaming charges cos we had multiple flights and I needed to check on later flights at the airport when we landed. Never imagined I could end up where I am now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ashee20

i have had the same problem and iv been fighting it since june. My bill was 972 and now they have cancelled my account and my bill is 1333. I was using free wifi too and i was mis informed by meteor staff that i would receive mgs to say when i have gone over by bill usage. meteor are the worst to deal with. I feel like they have let my problem go on for so long that now they have the right to cancel my account and charge me an extra 300.
    Everyone Stay away from meteor!!! they like to think there the cheapest network but they will catch you out somehow. What have you done about your bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'd be getting ComReg involved as early as possible, best of luck fighting it but also I have to say they would be doing you a favour in reducing it.

• Advertisement

I have been fighting my problem since June and they told me to email this guy and that guy and nothing ever happened. They are useless for customer care, i rang com reg and filed a formal complaint and this hurried them up a bit but then i wouldnt hear anything from them again for ages.
    There afraid to take any calls up there. Its all threw email now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

They wrote off over €1000 for me a while back. Maybe Im wrong in saying this but if you get through to someone that is not being helpful, call back and you might get lucky with someone else. That worked for me. Internal communications seem non-existent and this can be a good thing at times like this!
    I had installed a new custom rom on my phone and it was doing stuff the older version didn't do so it went unnoticed for 2 days and downloaded massive amounts of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I had a bit of a stinker in march.. Was using the phone in Austria.. Was silly but i thought its only for a few minutes!! Anyway racked up a bill i didnt like.. BUT i still payed it cos i was aware that data usage in a foreign country is really expensive...

I hate seeing this.. You know that data is expensive.. You have been told its expensive.. Yet you rack up a huge bill and then try and wiggle out of it.. Grow up and pay your bill..

Not when you have been given wrong information from the meteor staff!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

In fairness being charged €1000 for a few mb's of data is an absolute rip off. I dont care how informed people are of the prices. Phone companies should not be allowed to charge this sort of fee unless you are on the f*cking moon.

• Advertisement

Thank you Hogzy,
    Ur absolutly right. And i was in thailand for only 2 wks and this is the bill iv got even though i was connecting to free wifi, well thats what i thought.
    Stupid HTC wish i never bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Hogzy wrote: »
    In fairness being charged €1000 for a few mb's of data is an absolute rip off. I dont care how informed people are of the prices. Phone companies should not be allowed to charge this sort of fee unless you are on the f*cking moon.

It's not the point though, is it? The prices are freely available to see on-line, it is up to the customer to accept them or not (by turning data roaming on or off). The problem the OP is facing is that the roaming operator does not pass on charges instantly, so called "real-time billing". For example Im on T-Mobile UK, when I use Meteor at home (T-Mo's preferred Irish network), calls and text often take several days to come through. That is likely why the OP did not receive a message and thought he/she was OK, it's a bit of a grey area. Promising texts at a certain level was the down fall here, so the OP might have some, limited recourse.

they cancelled my contract now aswel so iv to pay an extra cancellation fee. I just cant believe they can charge this amount to people. I think its crazy. There ripping people off and getting away with it. I'm just going to have to pay the bill but i mean i was given the wrong information and the meteor staff have owned up to this and still im getting charged and now iv to go back on pay as you go. doesnt seem fair

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ashee20 wrote: »
    they cancelled my contract now aswel so iv to pay an extra cancellation fee. I just cant believe they can charge this amount to people. I think its crazy. There ripping people off and getting away with it. I'm just going to have to pay the bill but i mean i was given the wrong information and the meteor staff have owned up to this and still im getting charged and now iv to go back on pay as you go. doesnt seem fair

Regardless, you did say you thought you were using free WiFi, then blamed the phone. Then blamed the staff. Then blamed the company. In my 16 years of having a bill phone, I've never had roaming data problems. I had a high bill before as a result if data charges, but I did use it alot. I can understand being frustrated about not getting a text, but that's not the reason your bill is high. Its a courtesy text. Next time Im on a road, I'm going to drive 160kmh and when I get stopped, I'll say I never was told the speed, nor was I stopped along the way and advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had the same conversation with my mother who was away recently. She wanted to check some pointless stuff on her phone while she was abroad. (spain) I told her in no uncertain terms not to go near the internet on the phone or facebook or any other data application.

Because all ill hear when she gets back is bill this bill that high cost etc etc.

just leave it alone. people are well aware but the pretence or blaming the phone is ridiculous. If you dont know how to disable Edge / 4G / HDSPA your best off leaving the phone alone for anything data related. Its simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

antodeco wrote: »
    Regardless, you did say you thought you were using free WiFi, then blamed the phone. Then blamed the staff. Then blamed the company. In my 16 years of having a bill phone, I've never had roaming data problems. I had a high bill before as a result if data charges, but I did use it alot. I can understand being frustrated about not getting a text, but that's not the reason your bill is high. Its a courtesy text. Next time Im on a road, I'm going to drive 160kmh and when I get stopped, I'll say I never was told the speed, nor was I stopped along the way and advised.

Not quite the same, you did pass a test - hopefully - that clarified that you were aware of the conditions under which you must drive.

I cannot understand how people can say 'u should have read the small print, just pay up". Data roaming charges are an absolute rip off and have no bearing on the cost of the delivery of the service. As were roaming calls when gsm was first launched. Only through people complaining did this change.

Phone calls abroad are only marginally more expensive than at home, people are entitled to a reasonable expectation that data shouldn't be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steoc5710

Its a joke. If you look at the way O2 or vodafone charge they aren't charging you a ridiculous sum because it costs them. They charge it because they think they can.
    Example: if you have a 2gb O2 modem for €15 a month and dont go over the 2 gb thats fine - €15 a month. but if you do they charge a small fortune for it. But you can keep adding on extra gbs for a small fee every month.

its borderline extortion with the prices they charge - small print or not I would love to see them justify it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bonnie2244

Before I went I checked Meteor's T&C http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/t_and_cs/ and while the first two paragraphs are EU specific, from there on there is no mention of the EU. Stupidly I believed there to be a warning for other countries too.

Only saw the bill today, have been away for work. It's pretty much the equivalent of a year's bill. Have tried the customer care number multiple times and it keeps getting cut off after I've been on hold forever.

I am sick at this, the bill is larger than my average annual bill. Most of the places we were had wifi so I'm really suspicious of the amount too but how do I query it?

Hello, I was just wondering if you ever got this sorted out?
    Im having the same issue now myself.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

The info of the prices is freely available on their website. Extortionate prices they may be but they aren't asking you to use it. They have a service, they aren't forcing you to use it, so if you do use it then you should be expected to pay for it.

I still don't understand why people can't simply turn off their roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Silly_Mooo

Bonnie2244 wrote: »

Hello, I was just wondering if you ever got this sorted out?
    Im having the same issue now myself.

Thanks
    Hi guys, found myself in the same situation have any of you had any joy in resolving this? Got myself a lovely 2800 bill for four days in Thailand assuming I was connected to wifi !! Desperate seeking help here so please no it's tour own fault lectures!!! Thanks united advance ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

i once had a €2,000 data roaming bill reduced to €75

damn iphone.

Oceans12 wrote: »
    i once had a €2,000 data roaming bill reduced to €75

damn iphone.
    Hi there!!! Really? How? Which mobile company were ye with? Really appreciate any info / advice you have on this! I'm sick to my stomach with worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Silly_Mooo wrote: »
    Hi guys, found myself in the same situation have any of you had any joy in resolving this? Got myself a lovely 2800 bill for four days in Thailand assuming I was connected to wifi !! Desperate seeking help here so please no it's tour own fault lectures!!! Thanks united advance ..

Call them and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Was in Thailand last year with a few mates, one guy said to us all on arrival, take out sims lads, went to phone shop in airport, bought sims topped up and got a months data all for about €30 if I remember. Two guys decided an it's ok will be careful, well over a grand when they each got home.

The best thing about iPhones is HulloMail, even with Thai sim in still get notifications of missed calls to Irish number, I did put Irish sim back in now and again to make important calls home that Skype or Viber just not good enough for, total roaming fee about €20.00.

Best bet is pick up local sim when abroad.

double GG wrote: »

Call them and see what the story is.
    I have called them and they got back saying Oh best we can do is sort out a payment plan!! There's just No wat i can do that! I was connected via Wi-Fi I don't understand how the charges are there! If I knew in anyway that they would be even a quarter of my bill I wouldn't have connected!!! It's ludicrous how they can charge people these prices and get away with it!!! The holiday spends and flights/ accommodation included did not even total it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I really think Meteor (or any other phone company) should be obliged to send a text message to notify you when your bill has reached a certain point.

They do this for the E.U when you've spent 48 euro and again when you've spent 60 euro.

The data rates for the U.S are ridiculous : 10.41 euro per MB so it doesn't make sense that they don't notify customers in the U.S.

Heading abroad soon and noticed that data charges are 1.01 euro per MB. I know it's nowhere near as expensive as the U.S, but still expensive in my opinion. There is a special offer of 50MB of data for 19.99 which works out at 40c per MB which seems to be the best with Meteor.

As far as I know, there's plans to reduce prices for roaming in the EU from July of this year: http://www.thejournal.ie/mobile-roaming-charges-to-drop-as-meps-vote-for-cuts-447227-May2012/

I guess the best thing you could do is state that you were under the impression that you would receive a text message from them warning that you've reached a certain amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the other problem is most of the phones and apps are set up to connect to the web at every opportunity. Take out a sim and put it back in, or reset the phone and all this stuff gets enabled by default. They are really making it hard for people NOT connect to the web.

I got data disabled on my main sim, so its not an issue. You can use a prepaid sim if you want to use it, but it certain not to have a bill shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

BostonB wrote: »
    I think the other problem is most of the phones and apps are set up to connect to the web at every opportunity. Take out a sim and put it back in, or reset the phone and all this stuff gets enabled by default. They are really making it hard for people NOT connect to the web.

I got data disabled on my main sim, so its not an issue. You can use a prepaid sim if you want to use it, but it certain not to have a bill shock.

Is there any way to temporarily stop your phone from accessing data?

As in when you say you have data disabled on your sim, is that for good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well until you ring them up and ask for it to be enabled again. it also stops mms messages which is a good thing IMO. Stick the photo in an email and send it when you've got wifi. I dunno if they can only do this for a month at a time, or whenever. you 'd have to check that with the network. No bill shocks here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is there any way to temporarily stop your phone from accessing data?

As in when you say you have data disabled on your sim, is that for good?
    BostonB wrote: »
    Well until you ring them up and ask for it to be enabled again. it also stops mms messages which is a good thing IMO. Stick the photo in an email and send it when you've got wifi. I dunno if they can only do this for a month at a time, or whenever. you 'd have to check that with the network. No bill shocks here anyway.

For any networks that I know of the data would be disabled until you called and asked for it to be re-enabled

Advertisement