Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange (positive) cat behaviour

• 31-10-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same, and could offer an explanation...

We've had one of our cats for 3 years now - got her when she was roughly 3 months old, found on the streets, took her in. For the past 3 years, she's been very shy, didn't really let us touch her (or only very rarely, and only on her terms - which meant petting her for 2 minutes max, then the claws came out and she'd start biting). Treated us pretty much just as her can opener and provider of heat. So far, so good.

Now in the past 2 or 3 weeks, she seems to have had a personality transplant - she's really friendly all of a sudden, comes up for cuddles, lets me rub her belly (and actually 'asks' for more belly rubbing by turning her belly to me when I start), starts purring when we touch her, and is very veru affectionate - it's very odd. She's obviously healthy, no diseases or any pain that would make her look for comfort (that thought crossed my mind, but that's not it).

Does anyone have any explanation as to why she'd flip like that? Obviously we're delighted with this new behaviour, but it baffles us (and when you search for cat behaviour on the net, it usually describes the other way round - going from happy cat to bad cat, never the other way).

and while we're on weird cat behaviour - has anyones else's cat managed to figure out how to work a 4-way-lock cat flap? We lock our flap every night (both ways so cats can't get in our out), and check that both cats are in. Every morning, our second cat is actually OUTSIDE the back door, whining to get in. No visible disturbance to the flap (if he'd pry the flap open, you'd see it I assume), and obviously no holes in the wall or anything. It's very bizarre...

Any ideas welcome ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One of mine could unlock the 4 way flap too. Do you lock it in both directions or just so they can't get out?
    My boy would use a claw to pull the flap towards him and sneak out.
    We have a 10 year old cat that just in the last year or so will come downstairs and greet visitors, he always hid from everyone that came in and just one day stopped hiding!
    Next thing we knew he became Mr "Hey hello, come to pet me?"
    No idea what the trigger was. Very strange, I put it down to him getting more confident with the dogs around, but it was sudden and the dogs are here 2 and 3 years.
    He still runs and hides if he's in the front garden and next doors kids come out, but I don't blame him!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Animals sometimes treat pregnant owners with with more care (saw from your other posts you're expecting - congrats ;)) this usually happens with dogs but some cats do the same (not as common, but it happens)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

thank for the replies guys!

thought about the pregnancy thing (cheers :)) - but I've been pregnant for a long time now (due in 3 weeks), so the timing is a little late. She's literally flipped only in the past 3 weeks. Ah well, who's to complain ;-)

mymo - we lock the flap both ways, but somehow, this blighter manages to escape still. It's weird...been trying to catch him in the act, just to see how he does it, but he's like a child in that respect - won't do anything naughty while I'm watching...

Advertisement