Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DLC] Back To Karkand

Options
  • 31-10-2011 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Back To Karkand will be released in December. Here are some screenshots of the recreated maps - http://stickskills.com/2011/10/30/battlefield-3-back-to-karkand-gets-date-and-new-screens/

I never got the chance to play BF2 so I'm looking forward to these additions. They were the greatest maps of the previous game so seeing them redone here will be fantastic. Strike is now much brighter, Wake Island is not the tropical,lush jungle anymore - now, they've made it darker and grimier. Also, has anyone noticed Sharqi Peninsula when playing Kharg Island? Get in a jet and fly over to the city!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Really looking forward to it. While I'm loving some of the maps in BF3 so far, most don'y really give me that battlefield feeling.

Hell it'd be nice if they brought back some 1942 maps. El Alamein.

3 flags, wide open plains and all the vehicles you could want.

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

I hope they don't may too many changes to the layout of wake and karlkland, as the old phrase goes - if its not broke dont fix it. Loved the alleys in karland by the 1st base from the south. Fond memories of throwing many grenades at the americans over the building as they made their way down the hill, through the wooden fence, across the street and ambushed in that little square. Jesus I'm getting a bit dewy eyed here as I remanisce :)

I would be very surprised if the maps were exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think I still haven't seen all maps that you get as standart.

I played only barely bf2, so I wouldn't be very familiar with those maps. I have to admit that is alot maps for a game just out. Considering there are lots of variations for different mods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Sisko wrote: »
    Hell it'd be nice if they brought back some 1942 maps. El Alamein.

Mmmm....

maps_8.jpg

DLC, maybe a 1942 pack and a BFV pack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Karkand is the greatest map ever, I played that 24/7. Let's hope it's not overdone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Karkand is the greatest map ever, I played that 24/7. Let's hope it's not overdone though.

Let's hope they aren't unrecognizable.

Lucutus wrote: »
    Mmmm....

maps_8.jpg

Imagine that with the modern visuals and vehicles of BF3, awwwwwww yeah. So simple yet so much fun.

Love me some open spaces for lovely tank battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Never really got this...always thought Sharqi was a far better map...I've had some really awesome battles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

It looks like Wake Island is a good deal smaller going by the short overview in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

dreamers75 wrote: »

"Extended persistence" what that?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

No Mashtuur City? It was far better then Karkand or Wake Island imo. Sharqi and Gulf of Oman will be interesting to see.

Lets hope they dont cut these maps down to 5 closely clustered flags :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

grizzly wrote: »
    "Extended persistence" what that?

Something called assignments. Which sounds like the contract challenges in CoD: Black Ops.

seyeM wrote: »
    No Mashtuur City? It was far better then Karkand or Wake Island imo. Sharqi and Gulf of Oman will be interesting to see.

Lets hope they dont cut these maps down to 5 closely clustered flags :mad:

Considering the consoles only have 12v12 I can't see them being any more spread then the maps so far.

Actually wonder how those maps play 12v12, I've never even bothered with 16v16, I only drop to 16v16 for Seine and the likes, 32v32 is too much for the smaller maps IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

•Wake Island looks smaller or the airfield now takes up a good part of the North arm.

•Strike at Karkand has seven points to capture (one point was lost across the river)

•Gulf of Oman has seven (same as the original)

•Sharqi Peninsula gained one more capturable point

•Buildings and structures have been ported, for example: the TV station on Sharqi Peninsula

Destruction will be more exagerated than in BF3 vanilla. :)

Karkand pics:
    hotel-karkand.jpg

Dust storm looks like its passed, its now a nice sunny day! :)

http://www.enterbf3.com/news/585-strike-at-karkand-comparison-screenshots-bf2-to-bf3/

looks lovely, but i can already see my pc crying from pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

Now i really regret not buying the limited edition.. no free dlc for me :(

Anyone know if the other DLC's will be free for people with the limited edition or is it a one off with Back to Karkand dlc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just B2K free for limited edition owners

Really looking forward to this now. I too am surprised at the lack of mashtuur though. I thought it was going to be in it.

Looks like the maps are very close to the original.

Whens this out lads any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Sometime December, week early for PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Just realised I'm getting this for absolutely nothing thanks to my Limited Edition! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ThomasMcd1994

Decryptor wrote: »
    Just realised I'm getting this for absolutely nothing thanks to my Limited Edition! :)

I know right? :D

I really do hope these maps are kept the way they used to be in BF2.

I just wonder now. They add new weapons and tanks etc. will they be only playable in expansion or they will add them to original bf3 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Sometime December, week early for PS3.

Now thats a proper christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I just wonder now. They add new weapons and tanks etc. will they be only playable in expansion or they will add them to original bf3 too?

Will carry accross for those that have them, ie i unlock a new gun in Exp pack i can use it in Vanilla. Vanilla cant get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I think the weapons etc are seperate in Karkand expansion pack, like Vietman to BC2 for example.

Any reviews on how these will translate to PS3?

I am finding the bigger maps on BF3 to be pointless on Conquest for PS3 (Kharg Island, Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm) but they work fine on Oper. Metro, Seina, Canals, Damavand Peak and Grand Bazaar.

Luckily Rush works on all maps so it isn't much of a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Any update on a release date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Not yet. Still saying 'Coming December' everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

mozattack wrote: »
    I think the weapons etc are seperate in Karkand expansion pack, like Vietman to BC2 for example.

-considering that one of them is already available in BF3 if you bought it on origin as part of the physical warfare pack (type 88 lmg) I think it will incorporate into the full game
    Any reviews on how these will translate to PS3?

I am finding the bigger maps on BF3 to be pointless on Conquest for PS3 (Kharg Island, Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm) but they work fine on Oper. Metro, Seina, Canals, Damavand Peak and Grand Bazaar.

Luckily Rush works on all maps so it isn't much of a complaint.

Gamespot put up gameplay footage from the ps3 of a few maps:

Single best thing I am looking forward to is at 2:50 in the first video.

You can finally after 3 games shoot the roof out from underneath people. I really want them to bring this back to the bf3 maps. How much fun will it be to plant C4 under a sniper nest and drop the f*ckers down a few storeys.

:D

especially in operation firestorm.

Advertisement