Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DLC] Back To Karkand

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Not mad on the new maps. I guess I was sort of hoping for pretty much exact copies of the old maps with destruction built in and new gfx obviously.

The destruction is just stupidly over the top. Even a hand grenade will blow apart a 2 foot thick concrete wall and kill you on the other side.

They have also made the maps very crammed - which takes away from the original, open feel to the maps which made them so great.

Also, as the speed of the soldiers movement is that much faster in BF3 than BF2, it makes them feel very CoD like. In BF2 the map sizes heled to slow down the gameplay, which made it a whole lot more tactical as the soldiers weren't all super human speed freaks (and there was an energy bar for running).

Its nice to have a few new maps, but they over did and ruined them IMO.

Pretty much agree with this, I was expecting to login and be on familiar territory, that is not that case, a good few times I spawned and wondered the hell where I was.

Far too much armour on all the maps, they lost the core infantry play that the originals had down to a tee, and this isn't helped with the flags so close together. Look at Karkand, if you spawn at the start of a round on Hotel, the enemy armour is on top of you before you can even get a mine down, the armour should spawn much further back like the original.

The only map I liked was Wake, which is strange as I always hated it, but I feel like it's the only map that has been improved over teh originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Karkand only and Wake only servers already lol :P

Sharqui Rush is excellent !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

karma_ wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with this, I was expecting to login and be on familiar territory, that is not that case, a good few times I spawned and wondered the hell where I was.

Far too much armour on all the maps, they lost the core infantry play that the originals had down to a tee, and this isn't helped with the flags so close together. Look at Karkand, if you spawn at the start of a round on Hotel, the enemy armour is on top of you before you can even get a mine down, the armour should spawn much further back like the original.

The only map I liked was Wake, which is strange as I always hated it, but I feel like it's the only map that has been improved over teh originals.

Ga ha gas!! I'm exactly the same - always hated Wake, but the new version isn't bad at all!

We're both obviously just purists Karma ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They really have lost site of the core object of the game....they put so much time and effort into the destruction the rest of the game is suffering badly. So ****in what if you can blow up buildings!!! How much do you actually blow up in a round very little unless you are winning alot and are bored as you wait to rape in a tank. And the spawn time for the armour is far to fast.....

Fix the god dam spawn points and the suicides from 1 foot falls first, and all this BAD LUCK crap.

The new maps are okay but I think they made a balls of wake island with all the little out houses and bits of **** (to blow up - surprise surprise) that constantly get in the way of any moving object and catch the vehicles like velcro.

Famas kicks like a mule even with the foregrip not great at all and the iron sights JAYSUS!!!! Takes up the whole of my 24" screen, better off shooting from the hip ffs as you can see nothing. The G35 Engi gun is lovely....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Famas kicks like a mule even with the foregrip not great at all and the iron sights JAYSUS!!!! Takes up the whole of my 24" screen, better off shooting from the hip ffs as you can see nothing. The G35 Engi gun is lovely....:cool:

You should see the hud of the F35...my gunshights alone is about the size of a can of coke on my 30" monitor.
    Was convinced the game was running at 800x600 and doublechecked it to make sure but unfortunately not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What i love is when you target someone and the target moves slightly to the right and you're wondering where he dissapeared to. The rim of the reticle is huuugge and blocks outs anytinhg outisde it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah its ****in mental....I absolutely love the look of the gun in real life. I remember when the EURO FORCE patch came out for BF2 the famas was available in that IIRC and I loved it. Shame the patch was not great.....still I will stick with it and try to get the KOBRA sights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really impressed with these maps, was dying with anticipation though. They're not so much like the originals, at least, nowhere near the extent I thought they'd be. As far as I'm concerned, BF3 is a mere shadow of BF2, really. It's not a bad game, but something about it just doesn't sit right with me, I went back for the laugh and played some BF2 and I think it's incomparably better all round. I must have played hundreds of hours of BF2 online back in the day, it was stellar. Shame. I prefer BF3 over MW3 but I'll be trading it in all the same, just won't play it much to warrant keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

The new maps aren't as good as their BF2 equivilants. Having said that the way you play both games is totally different. BF2 on Karkland was if you were in the US side running down the hill and avoiding the grenades. Sadly in some respects we moved on since then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Bold Statement: I think the new maps are better than they were in BF2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Can't describe how much I'm enjoying these maps..I even gave rush a go, and loved that too.. <3 FAMAS is some beast of a gun..jaysus.

In other news, Alan Aherne is going to be quite annoyed to find me failing his exam in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

The maps are great, they really opened up the buildings. Only problem is i keep getting disconnected since the map pack. On xbox anyway, i haven't tried them on PC yet.

Ok, having played a bit more here's my assessment.

Karkand - absolute sh1te.

Wake - surprisingly good, as I never liked it before.

Oman - a bit meh. Very confusing as its not like the original.

Sharqi - the dogs b0ll0x. Possibly now my favourite BF3 map. They have kept what made the map brilliant, and its recreated nearly brick for brick, even to where ladders / stairs where in the original. Love it.

Yeah its ****in mental....I absolutely love the look of the gun in real life. I remember when the EURO FORCE patch came out for BF2 the famas was available in that IIRC and I loved it. Shame the patch was not great.....still I will stick with it and try to get the KOBRA sights.

What about 20 noobtube kills to get the next gun. wonder is it worth degrading oneself.

What about 20 noobtube kills to get the next gun. wonder is it worth degrading oneself.

Its not a noobtube kill - its a tactical re-assessment of the current target, using the most efficient weapon to hand at that particular time to ensure the eradication of the potential threat to you and other friendly forces.

(tl :dr version - you're aiming for a tank, and a fecker pops out so you shoot him instead).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Its not a noobtube kill - its a tactical re-assessment of the current target, using the most efficient weapon to hand at that particular time to ensure the eradication of the potential threat to you and other friendly forces.

(tl :dr version - you're aiming for a tank, and a fecker pops out so you shoot him instead).

Best reply I have read , You have been at the end of abuse for years and this answer just nullifies all complaints immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Except he was talking about the grenade launcher and not the RPG :p

Joeface wrote: »
    Best reply I have read , You have been at the end of abuse for years and this answer just nullifies all complaints immediately

Thanks.

Seifer wrote: »
    Except he was talking about the grenade launcher and not the RPG :p

Oh well. Same reply so, just get rid of the TL :DR version. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

No .... it isn't , but the next time my son wants a go on BF3 it will be one of the conditions ......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

20 kills should include C4, would have got it last night on Craggy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    20 kills should include C4, would have got it last night on Craggy :)

I was rpg noob last night on craggy lol. Those damn assignments eh? :D

Not looking forward to have to be one of 'those' people using an rpg as your main gun. I'm just gonna copy and paste Dublin_Gunners response every time someone goes mad.

Fw rounds of the tunnels in damavand and metro and you'll get them. You'll be cursed alot but screw em.

Actually I meant to ask that, can you do the assignments on the original maps?

Also destroying an enemy vehicle with the repair torch is gonna be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Origin is such a piece of shit. Bought Karkand, get email, doesn't show up in Origin, can't play expansion maps.

Get over yourselves and use Steam you tosspots.

EDIT: Ok, got it working by logging out of origin and EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Zillah wrote: »
    Origin is such a piece of shit. Bought Karkand, get email, doesn't show up in Origin, can't play expansion maps.

Fail

Zillah wrote: »

lol

Failrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I shouldn't have to shut Origin down and log out of their website for their own systems to allow me access to a product that I've purchased. Before I logged back in it was still prompting me to buy the expansion I had already paid for. That's pretty stupid design.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Love the new maps, yes even Karkand, especially in Rush mode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'm enjoying it so far, free stuff is always better so I'm willing to overlook the odd attack chopper/tunguska (really brings back the fear of Shilka's from Operation Flashpoint :eek:) raping.

Was having loads of fun RPG tank hunting on the urban maps :D

Advertisement