Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat Post Fabrication?

• 31-10-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Refurbishing a 1986 (ish) peugeot road bike and having a bit of a nightmare finding a 24mm seatpost for it. I've sourced a crowd in the US who have made their own 24mm posts for peugeot rebuilds, but it's gonna cost about 100 quid with shipping to get the post. Seems a bit much for the calibre of bike we're talking about here.

Beginning to think that fabrication from scratch might be an option.
    Was thinking something in this line might do the job - with two half cylinder blocks holding the rails and clamped together.

IMG_5746-13-500x500.jpg

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of doing something like this? I'd give it a lash if I had the tools etc myself, but I'll probably end up looking for a metal fabricator.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Spud

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I might have one if I have you can have it.

its in a green peugeot out the back. I will check for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

morana wrote: »
    I might have one if I have you can have it.

its in a green peugeot out the back. I will check for you tomorrow.

Should have said in the OP - I have the old style seatpost that came with the bike, but the clamp isn't great. I was hoping to source / make a micro-adjust one. If that's what you have, I would love to take it off your hands! :D

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Try LFGSS classifieds,

and ebay.fr
    search for 'peugot tige de selle'(sp?)

not worth getting one made, a similar frameset with standard seatpost can be found for 50euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

spdmrphy wrote: »
    Should have said in the OP - I have the old style seatpost that came with the bike, but the clamp isn't great. I was hoping to source / make a micro-adjust one. If that's what you have, I would love to take it off your hands! :D

Cheers!

no i dont think its micro adjust but I will check all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have you tried velo orange?

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have you tried velo orange?
    Just checked the site now; they have a 25mm post at a decent price. I guess it might be possible to get that turned down to 24mm, depending on the thickness of the walls. I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Spud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shim a 23.4?

http://www.decathlon.fr/diam-234-25-272-id_8026402.html

edit: I guess you'd need a 0.3mm thick shim. In my experience of cutting open tuna cans, you'd be better off using something proper...

http://www.stephensgaskets.co.uk/PlasticShim.html

Lumen wrote: »

Had considered going the shim route, I read that other people in the same boat had shimmed up a 22.2mm BMX seatpost - but I couldn't source one. This looks like a viable option though.

Ta,

Spud

Edit: yeah, I was just thinking the shim would be fairly thin - brass sheeting might do the trick though

Advertisement