Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benzodiazepines and weight gain.

Options
  • 31-10-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

Hello there. I've suffered from Depression for the past eight years and left it unattended. However about 18 months ago I developed CAD and went to see my Doctor who put me on 15 mg Lexapro and eventually a Xanax supplement for when I got very bad panic attacks. After a very successful course of CBT I quit the Lexapro but I had developed a strong drinking habit and so I was putting weight on anyway. I've recently quit the drink and have started a strict diet of fruit veg, no sweets, no white carbs absolutely NO alcohol and hit the treadmill for 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.

The problem is where this diet has worked for me incredibly well in the past (I'm not naturally susceptible to fat and I have a very high metabolism) I'm not losing very much weight. The bloating is certainly receding but the scales are barely moving. The only difference I've noticed between this time and the last time I tried the regime a few years ago is that I'm still popping a Xanax every few days. I had a grand mal seizure a few weeks ago so there's still some anxiety regarding that. I'm 30, 5'11" and I'm 15st. My ideal weight is somewhere in the region of 13-13,7st.

Does anyone have any experience with Benzo's and weight gain or weight loss inhibition?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Hello there. I've suffered from Depression for the past eight years and left it unattended. However about 18 months ago I developed CAD and went to see my Doctor who put me on 15 mg Lexapro and eventually a Xanax supplement for when I got very bad panic attacks. After a very successful course of CBT I quit the Lexapro but I had developed a strong drinking habit and so I was putting weight on anyway. I've recently quit the drink and have started a strict diet of fruit veg, no sweets, no white carbs absolutely NO alcohol and hit the treadmill for 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.

The problem is where this diet has worked for me incredibly well in the past (I'm not naturally susceptible to fat and I have a very high metabolism) I'm not losing very much weight. The bloating is certainly receding but the scales are barely moving. The only difference I've noticed between this time and the last time I tried the regime a few years ago is that I'm still popping a Xanax every few days. I had a grand mal seizure a few weeks ago so there's still some anxiety regarding that. I'm 30, 5'11" and I'm 15st. My ideal weight is somewhere in the region of 13-13,7st.

Does anyone have any experience with Benzo's and weight gain or weight loss inhibition?

Google is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

ANSI wrote: »
    I have done some research on Google but was hoping for some personal interactivity with the experiences of others. Lot's of people suffer different side effects. Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I have done some research on Google but was hoping for some personal interactivity with the experiences of others. Lot's of people suffer different side effects. Thanks though.
    Ok sorry i do not have any experience to tell of in that area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

ANSI wrote: »
    Ok sorry i do not have any experience to tell of in that area. :)
    Ha ha that's cool. Myself and Google are almost on a first name basis by now. Hopefully I'll get some advice closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Benzo's have been a weight gain nightmare for me! VERY easy to gain weight and near to impossible to loose. It's one of the side effects. As far as I know, there are a number of factors - more tired so less likely to exercise, slows down the whole body including metabolism, HUGE appetite that never goes away....
    Fair play to you for even starting to deal with it. I'm also 15 stone and just don't have the motivation at the moment to start loosing it.
    Stick the diet and talk to your doctor - maybe she/he will have some other ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement