Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling

Options
  • 31-10-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm a first year mature student and the course is all going well bar the Maths, I'm just very slow (very very slow) on the uptake. I'm really worried about upcoming exams as i seem to be weeks behind the rest of the class, just as I'm starting to "get" something the class is about 3/4 topics ahead.

It will be so frustrating if i fail the whole year on the basis of one subject but the fear is hitting me already. I'm dyslexic yet have grasped all the other subjects from the off, even better than much of the class.

Worried sick as at my age failure is just not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

You can compensate on a failure with good marks in another subject, as long as you get over 35% in Maths.

I'd recommend getting the past papers off moodle and going through them. Try get sample answers from the notes. If you manage to fill out a few of the last few years papers, then just study them for the rest of the year. Thats what I do. Except I make one big word document with all the question for the last 5 years, sorted in order of how many times they've come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Late Student

The_B_Man wrote: »
    You can compensate on a failure with good marks in another subject, as long as you get over 35% in Maths.

I'd recommend getting the past papers off moodle and going through them. Try get sample answers from the notes. If you manage to fill out a few of the last few years papers, then just study them for the rest of the year. Thats what I do. Except I make one big word document with all the question for the last 5 years, sorted in order of how many times they've come up.

I thought you passed anyway on 35% (be it badly)

i don't know what to expect from these exams, maybe i'll do enough but if you get less than 35% do you fail the whole year? get to repeat or what...how does it all work?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I wouldn't worry so much at the minute there is still a bit of time to go before exams and putting the groundwork in now will pay off come january. There are extra maths sessions available if you need them just go to the access officer i think its Maggie Ryan!!! could be mistaken but keep an eye out on notice boards. Also there are vast amounts of very usefull sites on the net which I found very helpfull and also as a mature student and being away from study environment for so long they definitely helped.
    Here is one good site, there are many more, try asking your lecturer for some links or books to recommend
    http://www.khanacademy.org/#linear-algebra

If you do well in all your other subjects and get less than 35% in maths you can be brought up a grade, this is very much dependant on individual student so attend all your lectures do all your CA's and you should be grand.

Best of luck

Thanks very much, that site looks great. Not looking forward to these mid terms, expect bad marks but i'm slowly making some head way. The Christmas break will be good because the rest of the group stop moving and I can play catch up....one hopes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

CELT offer extra maths classes. Nothing to be ashamed of needing a little extra help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Contact rosemary cooper and Gary the disability officer asap.

Thanks for the advice, I had a look at the Celt classes but they all fall during my own classes so they are out.
    Had enough study for tonight, need sleep, more tomorrow but not feeling confident for these mid terms.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Contact rosemary cooper and Gary the disability officer asap.

I'm far from ashamed of it as I'm fairly confident person and am very competent in most things I do but I also know the aspects that I'm weak at. I'll contact the names above for any advise they can give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What course are you doing btw?

Go to the lecturer, ask if he can offer any addition mock questions and the likes. The lecturer would also know of past pupils who would be able to offer grinds if you could afford them since the CeLT classes aren't doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

I'm a first year mature student and the course is all going well bar the Maths, I'm just very slow (very very slow) on the uptake. I'm really worried about upcoming exams as i seem to be weeks behind the rest of the class, just as I'm starting to "get" something the class is about 3/4 topics ahead.

It will be so frustrating if i fail the whole year on the basis of one subject but the fear is hitting me already. I'm dyslexic yet have grasped all the other subjects from the off, even better than much of the class.

Worried sick as at my age failure is just not an option.

I'd be in a similar boat except that its presentations that are causing me problems, public speaking is my biggest fear and it terrifies me, im nearly dropping out because of it even thou my grades actually not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i know the feeling. i was sick for a month and missed a load. felt massive pressure to catch up. the theory classes were not too bad, figured catching up on them would just be a case of more head in book hours.

however 90% of my classes were practical, with constant CA. so i was well far behind with no chance to catch up what i had missed in terms of CA as there was no availability to provision for individual support.

i ended up having to defer for the year :(

take all the support you can and please god you will catch up and be fine

Advertisement