Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halloween....look after your animals

• 31-10-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

pls take your doggies,cats in tonight. I've just had to take the neighbours dog into our house he was going mad out in the estate with the fireworks and bangers,the poor mite. neighbour no-where to be seen...FFS...dosen't surpise me though poor dog is usually f**ked out in the estate.

We have been lucky untill tonight but they seem to be going off every few mins now.

P***ed off with inconsiderate dog owners, bad enough trying to keep my own two calm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No fireworks so far here, had a few last night but the dog completely ignored them, he usually just lets off a few barks. It's the doorbell that sets the pair of them off here with a near constant flow of trick or treaters. The cat has been hiding under the bed all evening and the dog was constant yap yap yap at the door until I shoved a pig's ear in his gob! :D He grumbles a bit at the door bell now but is more interested in the pig ear, have 4 more of those left so that should keep him quiet for the night!

Not much I can do for the cat, have my room and her collar smothered in feliway and she got zylkene this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

oh zappery, my fellas were doing fine just the odd grumble but the neighbours lab gets very distressed thus setting off the howling chorus....,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Total panic in this house an hour ago, one of mine went missing. We were like headless chickens. I was runing around screaming her name had neighbours panicing to.

Eh found her..... UNDER MY DUVET IN MY BED :rolleyes:

But the thoughts that went through my head :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Had my dog on Valium but with the door going every few seconds it just didn't work for him. Then the fireworks started and he started going absolutely mental so we just grabbed him and took off in the car. I think it's so unfair on any pet left outside, they get so frightened :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I've been hearing bangers all day, but thankfully, my dog is 13 and his hearing isnt the greatest (though, I swear its selective hearing :)). Just worried when I let him outside to go to the loo, even though our garden is enclosed I dont want him getting spooked if he hears a banger/firework. But so far, so good.

• Advertisement

carleigh wrote: »
    I've been hearing bangers all day, but thankfully, my dog is 13 and his hearing isnt the greatest (though, I swear its selective hearing :)). .

It is, my 13 year old can hear what she wants :rolleyes: ( like my screaming her name in panic) And ignores what she wants. The vet has said her ear are fine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

My mutt is indoors and I've put a radio on as background noise to drown out the fireworks noise. Otherwise he'd be up the wall at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You need to be careful too that cats aren't taken to be used in a bonfire or with fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

It's been fairly quiet around here until tonight... It's now a howling chorus in my house, only one of my dogs is bothered but her being upset and barking is winding the others up :(

Thankfully the front door going doesn't bother any of them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My dog is hiding under my bed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

carleigh wrote: »
    my dog is 13 and his hearing isnt the greatest (though, I swear its selective hearing :)).

Ah yes. Can't hear you calling him to go out and do his business before you go to bed, but would hear a packet of biscuits being opened from 50 yards...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My cat has been housed for the last three days. It sounds like Tripoli in the good old days here. She has just woken up and yawned.
    I was concerned, she's wondering why theres nothing on telly.
    We worry too much yet can't worry enough.
    Good luck to all you and your little people tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Reading stuff like this, I thank my lucky stars that I live in the arse end of nowhere and there's not a firework or banger to be seen or heard and never has been in the 9 years I've lived in rural Ireland. Never had a trick or treater either, result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

just home after evening walk with my dog...had fireworks and eggs thrown at us, luckily for us the kids had bad aim and we weren't hit but yeah, not exactly a pleasant stroll! very fortunate that my girl is ok with loud noises otherwise she would have bolted, still she was bit nervous, glad to see the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Our dog and cat aren't bothered by the noise of the bangers at all which is great, slept through it all evening even though they were really loud right across the road. Our cat is jet black, very Halloween cat looking, so he has been locked in the house for days, he'd be such a target if he got near some of the horrible people who do awful things at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

You need to be careful too that cats aren't taken to be used in a bonfire or with fireworks.

Because of the looks he was giving me, I finally decided to let my cat out. Then I took my laptop off sleep mode...and this thread popped up :eek: so I went straight back out there and brought him in again. But the looks he's giving me now... :(

Least he's safe now though :)

just home after evening walk with my dog...had fireworks and eggs thrown at us, luckily for us the kids had bad aim and we weren't hit but yeah, not exactly a pleasant stroll! very fortunate that my girl is ok with loud noises otherwise she would have bolted, still she was bit nervous, glad to see the car!

Little brats need a kick up the arse, could easily hurt someone doing that. :mad:

Once the trick or treaters died off here we were back to normal. 2 or 3 fireworks that the dog barked a few times at but gave him another pigs ear and turned up the radio. The cat is unfazed by fireworks but spent the evening hiding on top of the boiler because of the doorbell.
    Overall a very quiet year for fireworks. I remember a few years back here the village would resemble a war zone in the weeks running up to halloween and on the actual night it was full scale riots, remember watching the neighbours big 'for sale' sign being dragged off and used as target practice for fireworks. Remember the old telephone box being absolutely thrashed and walking down the main street the next morning and it resembling what I would imagine a bomb going off in an egg farm looks like! :eek: Thank dog we had no dog back then!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Because of the looks he was giving me, I finally decided to let my cat out. Then I took my laptop off sleep mode...and this thread popped up :eek: so I went straight back out there and brought him in again. But the looks he's giving me now... :(

I brought JJ in this evening and a little later when my brother went out for a smoke he tried to make a break for it! He wasn't too happy about being carried back in :pac:

Zapperzy wrote: »
    :eek: Thank dog we had no dog back then!

Dont know if you meant this but gave me a giggle Im going to change My 'Thank god' to 'Thank Dog' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I spent the evening here wrestling with the dog every time the doorbell went. Kids - ring doorbell, if there's no immediate answer, start banging on the screen door. FFS, little bastards - I'm trying to hoosh the dog into the bedroom and close the door before I answer the front and the more they bang the more bananas he goes.

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »
    Dont know if you meant this but gave me a giggle Im going to change My 'Thank god' to 'Thank Dog' :D

I always say it! :D Well nearly always. Glad to give you a giggle! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

My dog is sitting on my lap in the sitting room and her whole body is shaking. There are fireworks accross the field:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thankfully fireworks and bangers were few and far between and distant enough that it didn't bother the dog but holy moly the doorbell:rolleyes:l. I think I was on edge all day myself because I knew what was imminent:(
    We avoided some of it by taking her out trick or treating :D (yes.... bothering other peoples dogs :o) but she was spooked by all the extra activity and people out and about and was wound up to the hilt and seeing cats in every shadow. It's all over now... tomorrow will be calm.......

My dog was only annoyed at all the damn kids ringing the bell:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

My girl dosent flinch with the noise or lights, 3 walks today last walk off lead at 9pm with bomfire 100mtrs away lots of bangers and fire crackers.her only whinging was the fact people came too door and she never met them....if dog owner is relaxed and dosent flinct at loud noise or lights dog will pick up on calm energy fron owner..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

My dog was going mad and barking like crazy everytime a firework/banger went off (which is every two minutes here!). So she got the rare treat of being allowed into the bedroom because I didn't want to leave her on her own. Right now she's panned out and snoring at the end of my bed oblivious to all the noise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Fbjm wrote: »

Sorry I'm not trying to scare you or anything but it some scumbags do, do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My dogs have no problem with fireworks but the neighbour's dogs are terrified of them. At about 9ish last night here was a knock on the door and assuming it was a late trick or treater I brought our dogs into the kitchen and my husband went to the door. Outside was a sobbing zombie (the neighbours grandson) their littlest dog had been so frightened he panicked at a bang and dashed out the front door. We searched our garden with flashlights but there was no sign of him. The poor boy was so upset, we live by a river, where there is bad erosion from last weeks floods so he was worried the dog had taken off that way in fear.

Luckily the dog had run into his own back garden and was found cowering under the shed, too scared to come when he was called.

Hopefully that will be the end of the worst of the fireworks. I've hated going for walks for the last week or so. Even in the afternoon there are morons firing them off in the park. I've been caught in the bind of feeling like jumping out of my skin when they go off nearby, getting the dogs quickly out of the area in case they get hit and not letting the dogs know I am worried so they don't get frightened by the bangs. I don't mind fireworks, but they are dangerous and kids letting them off in busy parks/greens should actually be arrested and have the gardaí scare the life out of them before bringing them home to their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

After reading about some of the horror stories that you experienced last night I think I'm even more grateful that my 2 (1 cat and 1 dog) were blissfully unaware that Halloween was even happening!

The cat snoozed in the chair all night - didn't even open an eyelid at any of the bangs or anything. I think if one had gone off under his arse he still wouldn't have woken up. :rolleyes::p

The dog was also equally unbothered by the bangs and fireworks. For the first part of the night she was happy to sit in the hall window and watch all the kids going around and when it got a bit busier and the trick or treating actually kicked off we headed out for a drive to go and see some of the fireworks from up in Deer Park (Howth) - up there you could see loads of them across the city and hear some of the local ones - all the dog was interested in was playing with her ball! :D I have this crazy ball that flashes different colours when it bounces along - great for the dark nights! I think we confused quite a few other firework spectators though with it!

So I'm really thankful that neither of mine were bothered in the least by all the activity last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

last night was a major breakthrough with my dog; for the past 2 years since I got him he's freaked out with the noise of bangers & fireworks so we've been working hard on being calm when they're going off.

Last night he sat in front of the glass doors calmly looking out at the fireworks through the kitchen window before getting fed up after a while and going for a snooze. As long as I didn't react at all to the noise he was absolutely fine; which considering how he used to pee himself with fright is a major success. So proud of him :)

Advertisement