Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain and using your name

Options
  • 31-10-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick query regarding registering a domain using your own name - looking to grab both the .ie and the .com addresses (on Blacknight). When I tick the boxes for the .ie and .com it comes up with stuff about Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2 - should I leave these as they are (ns1.blacknight.com)? Also, since I'm using my own name, what do I select under domain category and applicant class? What does the transfer part mean as well?

Also, do you guys know if I get an email with this or is this down to the hosting part? Totally clueless when it comes to this stuff...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Sales or Support people at the hosting company will be able to answer all your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved to the Talk to Blacknight forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're going to be using us for both the domain and hosting (which it sounds like you are) then use the default nameservers.

Domain registration does not include hosting. You'd need to add that to the order. Our entry level plan is also our most popular choice: http://www.blacknight.com/minimus-hosting.html

If you're registering your name under .ie then you'd use "personal name"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thanks for the reply. When it comes to using the site for putting up quite a number of high res images (photography site), would the minimus hosting plan be sufficient?

Also, say I only go for the domain at Blacknight - what does this mean for the nameservers then?

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. When it comes to using the site for putting up quite a number of high res images (photography site), would the minimus hosting plan be sufficient?
    It depends on the amount of disk space - you can see a comparison here:
    http://comparehosting.me

Also, say I only go for the domain at Blacknight - what does this mean for the nameservers then?

You would need to use your hosting provider's nameservers which they would be able to supply to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What are you planning to do on the site, Renn ?

High-res images on the pages will make a standard site horrendously slow and unusable.

Still not sure on the plan but would like to have a site up and a proper email address for people to contact me by. I know what you mean by slow and unusable - certainly don't want to go down that route. But there's surely no harm grabbing the domain and putting up a basic 'under construction' message?

Also, what do you mean by a 'standard site'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

No photographer in their right mind would put up non-watermarked high res (300dpi) images for the public to save and use as they please.

I presume when Renn mentioned high-res, he simply meant large size on the screen, e.g 960 pixels wide / 72dpi.
    At least I hope so.

Renn, even though broadband speeds have improved over the years, a fast website is still the holy grail of web development. Photoshops "Save For Web" allows you to retain high quality with a low file size.

Even the most basic hosting from Blacknight will allow you to display stunning images in gallerys. It's only if you want to transfer larger files (such as 300dpi raw files) that you might have to start thinking about space and bandwidth.

You're in safe hands with Blacknight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement