Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help possible bottle bomb situation

Options
  • 31-10-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Bottled my first batch on sat og 1.040 fg 1.012. I move the bottles today to a warm place 18-23C, just noticed some carbonation being released by the yeast at the bottom give a 1mm head on most of the bottles, i used the coopers 500ml and used a 1.5 drops per bottle, is it normal to see this, sorry for being a noob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

are they the plastic 500ml bottles that come with the starter kit?

If so I wouldn't get worried unless the bottles start to change shape! If they're glass bottles then put them somewhere safe where explosions wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Ya the plastic ones came with the kit, but it it normal to see the gas bubbles during the priming stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

That just means it is carbonating. The bottles should feel stiffer when you squeeze them but unless they actually start to bulge outwards I wouldn't worry too much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

1.5 drops in the plastic 500ml bottles is fine, No chance they'll explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most PET bottles get up to ridiculous pressures before they blow. I remember having 2L PET bottles and was confused why they did not stand up, then I noticed all the little moulded "legs" at the bottom had lost their shape and it was totally round at the bottom. The caps were very rounded too. They had an eerie ping noise when you flicked them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If you're worried just stick them in the fridge and fermentation will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they are rock solid you can also just vent them off a little. The slits you see in the threads on PET caps allow gas to escape nice and slowly in a controlled manner.

If they are overcarbonated not only will they be too fizzy for some peoples taste (you can just let it sit a while in the glass), but often when it is opened up the yeast at the bottom will erupt and mix into the beer. If you drink the yeast this is not an issue, but if you prefer to decant it can be annoying. Also if you had too much sugar in then you will also have more yeast than usual.

Thanks lads, they look sound can't wait to try them, have plently of people wanting to try the brew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to throw this into the mix - I made a fresh apple cider last year which were left sitting for maybe 4 months in 2L bottles (Aldi/Lidl sparkling water bottles if it matters).

They were fairly pressurized by the time my brother went to open one, and the bottle exploded in his face. Not just fizzed over - actually split down the middle and surrounded em' Moses style. First time I've ever seen a human shaped projection on a wall :)

Now there was very little thought put into priming it so it was almost definitely over primed, but nobodies been brave enough to touch one since. They'll most likely end their life as a practical joke of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BiddyBob

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Just to throw this into the mix - I made a fresh apple cider last year which were left sitting for maybe 4 months in 2L bottles (Aldi/Lidl sparkling water bottles if it matters).

They were fairly pressurized by the time my brother went to open one, and the bottle exploded in his face. Not just fizzed over - actually split down the middle and surrounded em' Moses style. First time I've ever seen a human shaped projection on a wall :)

Now there was very little thought put into priming it so it was almost definitely over primed, but nobodies been brave enough to touch one since. They'll most likely end their life as a practical joke of some sort.
    Thank God they were plastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bawnmore wrote: »
    but nobodies been brave enough to touch one since.
    Wrap in a towel before opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

n97 mini wrote: »
    Wrap in a towel before opening.

Ah it was only part of the reason in fairness. It'd almost leave your gums bleeding it was so dry.

Ok, i was too tempted tonight so i stuck one in the freezer for an hour, and im not a happy, the wort tasted nicer. The beer has an odd middle flavor, kind of like an apple jack taste to it could this be from them carbonation drops,

700 coopers brew enhancer 1
    500 light sprayed malt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

covey09 wrote: »
    Ok, i was too tempted tonight so i stuck one in the freezer for an hour, and im not a happy, the wort tasted nicer. The beer has an odd middle flavor, kind of like an apple jack taste to it could this be from them carbonation drops,

700 coopers brew enhancer 1
    500 light sprayed malt

A week after bottling is really too soon, you'd be surprised how much difference a few more weeks can make, it sounds like everything you've done is within sanity levels,

Advertisement