Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc ONLY in physiotherapy??

Options
  • 31-10-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've been accepted to a UK uni to study physiotherapy and I really love the course, I feel I'm getting on well with the subjects. I'm a mature student and have a degree - and it turned out that it might be possible for me to transfer to MSc (which starts in January) instead of doing the BSc (which started in September).

I do enjoy the BSc but it's VERY tempting to imagine that I could be working in 2 years' time as opposed to 4 more years of studying :cool:

Does anyone here know how life is for pre-reg Master's physio students? I find the workload heavy enough but doable in the BSc, I know it will be MUCH heavier if i want to cover all the material in 2 years, including a research project...

My main concern is that i simply won't be as prepared and knowledgeable as if I was to do the undergrad course in 4 years. I highly respect the profession and I'd like to make sure when i graduate, I'll be able to do my utmost as a physiotherapist to help patients. Is it possible with doing only the Masters programme?

How are MSc physio's regarded by other health professionals and potential employers? I'm sure that there are good and not so good examples but if there is a general consensus in hospitals that MSc physios are generally great / crap, I'd like to know it :) I can see equal amounts of pro's and con's and can't really decide.

Any input is much appreciated!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi there,

Im in my 4th year of physio in dublin however I started in Brunel in London on the part time course. The part time course was over 4 years and you had classes every tuesday and thursday. I found this fairly intense compared to the full time 4 year course in Ireland.

I dont honestly think I could have managed a physio degree in 2 years. But that is just me and how I learn,you may be more able than me.
    A lot of physio's will tell you that you know nothing when you graduate and you only really learn your job when you start working. As with every profession experience is key.
    As an undergrad you will complete 1000 hours placement in hospitals. This is invaluable to learn to treat patients and also documentation etc. Does the masters have this much placement??

I have been told that the masters physio's can been frowned upon but I wouldnt let that stop you. I have no idea if its true and if the CSP is happy to register you then employers should be satisfied.

If I was you, I would try and speak to people who have completed the masters and see how they are getting on regards employment etc.

I was under the impression that you could only do the masters if you had a degree in a similar course. Do you have any scientific or sports therapy back ground to help you through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

I know a lot of people who have done the MSc course and they have the same outcome as those that have done the undergrad option

i.e. they are on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

The Master's here at this uni has the same amount (ca. 1100 hours) of clinical placement as the undergrad course, which sounds pretty intense but also reassuring as it's where you learn most.
    Not sure when I'd have the time to prepare for all that placement though! And prepare a research paper for the graduation too :pac:

I spoke to my tutor here about meeting with physio's who are currently doing the Master's programme but I'm not sure if I can meet working physio's. I also asked 2 tutors who are also working clinically how they regard each programme and they both said they'd pretty much go by the hours the person completed clinically and would base the employment on individual assessment. But of course they couldn't say anything negative about MSc since it's taught here:p

I'm guessing it's a fair point too, as blatantly as it was put, that job prospects aren't great for anyone but I'd like to make sure I'm not making my situation more difficult if I'll only be viewed as someone who crammed physio in in 2 years... I mean it's a lot of effort and commitment to complete the same course in a shorter time, so it could just as well be highly valued for all i know and I'd be mad not to take the opportunity if it arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Noelfurlong

The Master's here at this uni has the same amount (ca. 1100 hours) of clinical placement as the undergrad course, which sounds pretty intense but also reassuring as it's where you learn most.
    Not sure when I'd have the time to prepare for all that placement though! And prepare a research paper for the graduation too :pac:

I spoke to my tutor here about meeting with physio's who are currently doing the Master's programme but I'm not sure if I can meet working physio's. I also asked 2 tutors who are also working clinically how they regard each programme and they both said they'd pretty much go by the hours the person completed clinically and would base the employment on individual assessment. But of course they couldn't say anything negative about MSc since it's taught here:p

I'm guessing it's a fair point too, as blatantly as it was put, that job prospects aren't great for anyone but I'd like to make sure I'm not making my situation more difficult if I'll only be viewed as someone who crammed physio in in 2 years... I mean it's a lot of effort and commitment to complete the same course in a shorter time, so it could just as well be highly valued for all i know and I'd be mad not to take the opportunity if it arises.

Hi
    I did the pre reg masters in UUJ and graduated a few years back. For me , as a mature student it was the best option because you were out working in a quick time. The work load was intense, and pass mark higher than the Bsc and far more critical appraisal of literature (which wasnt hugely relevant to practice to be honest) but.....the masters is a better option for a mature student. You have the same clinical placement hours, your placements prepare you better for the working world as you are marked harder , you are surrounded by students just as focused as you are ( well most of the time) and most importantly you get out of uni quicker to start the real work of becoming a Physio. Also the it's just not true that the masters would be viewed poorly in comparison to Bsc grads.....I'd take a masters grad before an Bsc anyway. The masters grad, who more than likely is in his/hers mid to late twenties, has a bit more cop on/maturity and is well able to deal with people......but then I'm biased..:) Hope that helps you. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Hi
    I did the pre reg masters in UUJ and graduated a few years back. For me , as a mature student it was the best option because you were out working in a quick time. The work load was intense, and pass mark higher than the Bsc and far more critical appraisal of literature (which wasnt hugely relevant to practice to be honest) but.....the masters is a better option for a mature student. You have the same clinical placement hours, your placements prepare you better for the working world as you are marked harder , you are surrounded by students just as focused as you are ( well most of the time) and most importantly you get out of uni quicker to start the real work of becoming a Physio. Also the it's just not true that the masters would be viewed poorly in comparison to Bsc grads.....I'd take a masters grad before an Bsc anyway. The masters grad, who more than likely is in his/hers mid to late twenties, has a bit more cop on/maturity and is well able to deal with people......but then I'm biased..:) Hope that helps you. All the best

Just how bad is the employment situation though? From what I've heard its actually put my off the idea of doing a Physio MSc. Firstly its supposed to be quite hard to get a place in the courses, so that might take a few years and then apparently people say you'll have ta go to Canada or Australia to get work cause there are no jobs in Ireland or England :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 yit

O.P.H wrote: »
    Just how bad is the employment situation though? From what I've heard its actually put my off the idea of doing a Physio MSc. Firstly its supposed to be quite hard to get a place in the courses, so that might take a few years and then apparently people say you'll have ta go to Canada or Australia to get work cause there are no jobs in Ireland or England :eek:

It is very competitive of course but further study is competitive anyway, as is undergrad.

At the moment the situation is poor, but again you can say that about a wide variety of professions. It is a definite problem if you're older as I'm assuming most newly qualified physios are unemployed/seeking employment abroad.

Great profession though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Noelfurlong

O.P.H wrote: »
    Hi

Yep.....jobs situation for newly qualified physios is fairly crap.....no sign of Hse recruitment embargo lifting anytime soon.....but who knows what the job situation will be in 2 or 3 years time. If you really want physio then go and do it....work will come your way.....if you want a guaranteed job on graduation.....try medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Do the masters, ended up in a 4 year bsc and the workload is very manageable. A friend of mine did the MSc and went straight into a job, he still had time off in the summer etc, got the same amount of clinical placement hours and said the workload was intense at times but adjusted to it.

I would have loved the opertunity to do my course in 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 frogg

Where are you studying? BSc in Physiotherapy is a 3-year course in most UK unis.

Advertisement