Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCD Very worried

Options
  • 31-10-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone
    I am a very regular poster here but I logged in with a new identity in case my thread would be recognised. Here is my story.
    A member of my family is suffering badly with OCD. We are at loss as to how to help her. She has gone from a lively fun loving woman to almost a total recluse in I guess 5 years. It started very slowly at first. She has always been particular and neat in her habits and way of living , nothing to strange about that. A precise type of person. Efficient and reliable. We cant place when she went over the line and became obsessive. She now displays all the characteristics of some one suffering from a cleanliness OCD. She washes her hands constantly. Wont handle any money. Doesnt go into shops to buy anything. Wont open doors, post, paperwork, books. washes her clothes daily and puts them on again the next morning. Cannot cope with anything out of place in her home or workplace. Not an item is out of line in her drawers. She no longer has any friends. I mean none. She works ,goes home , watches TV, goes to bed and starts her day again. No fun , no holidays , no interaction with anyone. Rarely visits any of her families houses. Maybe once or twice a year. Doesnt attend any family functions. She is hugely loved by her family , neices and nephews but there is no interaction anymore. No shopping trips , no anything normal.
    Over the years we have tried to talk to her and see if we could help in any way as she is terribly unhappy. She will not agree to see anyone. Just keeps saying she cant . Obviously she cant as I dont think anyone would willingly live this way. We have offered to have someone call to the house. But no way. She wont read books on OCD either. It seems as if shes unwilling but I think shes so ill now that she is thinking irrationally and just cant open up to help.
    We are just so terribly worried, we are reading whatever we can find on OCD ( she fits all the typical scenarios ). We are at a loss as what to do . Sorry if this is too long winded. Does anyone have any ideas at all ? Has anyone gone through this and come out the other side ? Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
    Molly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Phobias, I think this forum might be a better place for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

go to her gp and explain the situation. its more depression related sounding. that is the first step here and needs to be done, and the sooner the better!
    she needs professional help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Molly Mops

Thank you for your reply Saila. You are right of course but there is no way she will go for help , despite us trying over the years and a lot again recently. She refuses .
    Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

well you cant get her to see a psychiatrist if you dont go to a gp first, and a psychiatrist is probably what she needs if its OCD. Im telling you, get her next of kin to go to the gp have a talk with them about her see what he says and take it from there. you could also try getting in contact with her local health centre's mental health section have a look up the HSE website for your local one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Saila wrote: »
    its more depression related sounding.

you're not in a position to make that judgement so please refrain from the online diagnosing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement