Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options
  • 31-10-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can share info. There are a lot of kits, gadgets and vehicles. Might also be of some use those who are new to the series.

- Parachute will not deploy unless height is higher than 2 story building. Any less and you will receive fall damage. I have had cases where the chute deployed but I still received full fall damage, may just be a bug. But tip still applies, careful what you jump off

- Tanks take double damage from rear hits. So as an AT soldier try and aim for the rear of the tank. Tank drivers, if you are under fire, position the front of your tank in the direction of the oncoming fire so you take less damage.

- Repair tool can also damage vehicles. Its slow but often you can do enough damage to disable the tank as the driver is expecting damage in the form of incoming fire.However, He will know the tank is being damaged when warning signals start going off.

Gadgets

Recon radio beacon: This creates a spawn point which your team can use to spawn.
    Very helpful when when your team are stuck with one control point on conquest. However, the beacon is revealed to the enemy and can be destroyed by small arms fire.

Engineer EOD bot: used for repairing friendly vehicles and planting at the MCOMs. I havent found this gadget particularly good. It sometimes gets stuck in rubble and it takes some time to get used to the steering (could be easier on consoles?)

Engineer mines: I have found these very effective. It takes around 2/3 mines to take down a tank. Try and plant them in bottleneck areas and try and plant them near debris/rubble to make them blend in. Nobody seems to look out for mines either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

1: Before diving out of cover take a second to look around and hit your acquire button [back] [select] [q]. This will let you spot enemies and make it easier to plan your attack.

2: Shotguns have the ability to gain scopes, while it doesn't help the range all that much the non zooms help with aiming the shot and the longer ones are great for recon (since you can fire from the hip)

3: Be a friendly team mate, if you have ammo packs or health and run into a squaddy, dish them puppies out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Anyone got any tips for using the rockets while piloting choppers?

They seem hard to predict where they'll hit compared to the cross hair. They don't seem to do much damage either but I get the impression I'm missing something. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sisko wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for using the rockets while piloting choppers?

They seem hard to predict where they'll hit compared to the cross hair. They don't seem to do much damage either but I get the impression I'm missing something. :confused:

I find they tend to hit just below your target so I always aim just above what I am shooting at for best effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Great idea for a thread as I'm one of those people you mention in the OP who's completely new to the series. I've only played a limited amount of Black Ops, a bit more MW2 and a fair bit of good old CoD2 on the pc back in college so I'm not even that experienced with shooters in general. Any tips would, therefore, be very welcome! And playing games with people who know what they're doing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

Great thread idea I'm a complete battlefield noob. Inwas a cod player until I realised its **** and battlefield is unreal in comparison.

It would be nice to have an explanation of different classes and the ways to navigate through them eg change weapons and different attributes.

I also have not her specific questions

1. Do weapons change in classes during different rounds. I taught one round I had a ump or some smg then the next it was a assault riffle or something.

2. Does anybody have specific strategy for different game types.

3. Are the 4 peron squad games more strategic. Eg more team play.

4. Are there kill streak rewards

5. What is the best set up for a beginner.

6. What are the easiest maps to get started on.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1. Do weapons change in classes during different rounds. I taught one round I had a ump or some smg then the next it was a assault riffle or something.

There are faction specific weapons, and the rest are unlocks available to all.

4. Are there kill streak rewards

Thankfully not.

5. What is the best set up for a beginner.

Starting out, there's little choice due to basic weapons and kit.

6. What are the easiest maps to get started on.

Thanks.

I'd say the more open and slightly less meat grinder conquest maps are. But some don't suit conquest, such as Damavend Peak and Metro. Caspian or the Canals maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 Stingers fired at the same time will disable a chopper every time.

Even if manages to land on the boat and try to repair it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Am I mental or is there no way to gauge distance while sniping? Is it purely a question of firing off a few shots to see how much they'll drop and adjusting accordingly?

Because some of the scopes have a drop/range scale, but that is completely and utterly useless without some sort of range-finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Zillah wrote: »
    Am I mental or is there no way to gauge distance while sniping? Is it purely a question of firing off a few shots to see how much they'll drop and adjusting accordingly?

Because some of the scopes have a drop/range scale, but that is completely and utterly useless without some sort of range-finder.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to gauging the distance. I have to say though that I am enjoying the sniping. It's something I used to really like in CoD2 so it's nice that this game is very open to that style of play. Just need to learn some of the maps a bit better. And hope my server connection doesn't keep crapping out like it did when I was having my best game as Recon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

As spear said, those are faction specific. You could divide the weapon selection into 3 categories - faction, class specific and General.
    Faction weapons are the likes of ak-74u. The class specific weapons are unlocked while you use that class, no other class can use them. General weapons can be used by any class, example shotguns and UMP.
    2. Does anybody have specific strategy for different game types.

Strategy will often come down to the area of the map you are currently and how well your team is performing.

But a good little tactic for conquest is flanking with small fast vehicles. The capture point thats furthest away is usually undefended, even on 64 player maps. You can **** with the enemy by taking that point and then making them fight a battle on 2 fronts.

In rush, use smoke when you unlock it. Very effective way of limiting the other teams view and make it easier for your team to push forward.

3. Are the 4 peron squad games more strategic. Eg more team play.

Yes and no. Some people still like to lonewolf the game but for the most part the squad setup in BF does push you into teamwork. The ability to spawn on other members mean that all 4 of you are often in close proximity and taking the same objectives. If you are capping a flag, a team mate trying to decide a spawn point will see you on the minimap and want capture assist points so they spawn on you. But the teamplay doesnt go much further than that, you do help each other out but there usually isnt much communication between squad members, kind of telepathic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

anyone have any tips for levelling up in choppers or jets, got the hang of flying them but not aiming and shooting. Its really hard especially the jet!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

Thanks for all the reply's guys. Really useful stuff. It would be nice if I could get in a game with you guys just to see it all in action. I'm ps3 on most nights after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have had a fair few suicides by jumping from buildings and hitting parachute, only for it not to deploy.. lol

have found the sniping impossible on my current setup.

in bfbc2 i played panama canal only, and LOVED the sniping in it.

i need a nice open map, roll on strike at karkand!!

Klair88 wrote: »
    anyone have any tips for levelling up in choppers or jets, got the hang of flying them but not aiming and shooting. Its really hard especially the jet!

Not really, all you can do is use the jets and heli's when you get a chance and learn from experience.

This guy has a good video tutorial on the introduction to flying

Its a pity we cant join empty servers and practice on heli's/jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anybody using the mouse for helis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I've unlocked the explosions add on thingy.

I can now throw down 6 mines in one life. In BC2 you could only have a maximum of 6 mines active at any one time, e.g. leave down 6 and when you go to leave down more the earlier one disappear. I assume this happens again in BF3 but does anyone know for certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

When playing Conquest and you are dead waiting to spawn, cycle around all the flags you have possession of. Look at the graphic of each flag and see if its moving up or down, this will tell you that something is happening at the flag, ie its being taken or was under attack, spawn at this flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

copeyhagen wrote: »

Yes why? Works great for the choppers, and to an extent for the planes, however in planes turns can be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Anyone have any tips for the jets / choppers? Finding the VERY difficult to controll, not intuative at all tbh. I tend to just leave them be as I dont want to take an asset that more experienced players would put to better effect.

Cant get over how difficult they are to fly compared to other games that include vehicals?

- As for my own noob tip! If your in a ground vehical..... dont leave people in the dust. I have seen this happen a few times, people just tear ass past folks who just spawned miles away from the action and had room in the vehical to spare. Give a guy a lift or at least offer one!

How to exit a vehicle where you want

Handy when you are staring down a tank

- Scopes are not always a good thing, even the reflex (Non zoom) scope. A scope can limit your view as opposed to ironsights.

- Flashlights can blind the enemy but they can also blind your team mates, keep that in mind and try and keep your flashlight pointed below head height when near friendlys. Alternatively press "t" to turn it off (I dont know the console button). Same with lasers.

- Most vehicles have a turbo option. Jets have afterburner and tanks/jeeps have turbo. This will allow you to travel much faster and there is no cooldown on it, use the shift key on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Krieg wrote: »
    - Scopes are not always a good thing, even the reflex (Non zoom) scope. A scope can limit your view as opposed to ironsights. Also scopes will give off a glint so the enemy is something to shoot at when there is distance.

QUOTE]

Pretty sure only the Rifle scopes glint, havent seen any others do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mossay

Tanks: Get the thermal vision. Use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I think only scopes above 6x zoom glint?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Spot, spot, spot!
    It's the "back" button on 360 and its my first reaction 90% of the time as it gives your team a huge tactical advantage to flank, outmaneuver, ambush and generally annihilate the enemy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

The second co-op mission is great for practicing flying attack choppers/manning the gunner's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Spot, spot, spot!
    It's the "back" button on 360 and its my first reaction 90% of the time as it gives your team a huge tactical advantage to flank, outmaneuver, ambush and generally annihilate the enemy ;)

Not to mention at distance it helps you track an enemies position, and if you can't get him you can get 20 points for spotting him anyway.

Burgo wrote: »
    Krieg wrote: »
    - Scopes are not always a good thing, even the reflex (Non zoom) scope. A scope can limit your view as opposed to ironsights. Also scopes will give off a glint so the enemy is something to shoot at when there is distance.

Pretty sure only the Rifle scopes glint, havent seen any others do it.

cheers for the correction, ill remove that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

copeyhagen wrote: »

Here's a weird tip for learning to fly the chopper:
    Play on an empty server for BF2. The mechanics are almost identical. My skills transferred over perfectly. Only difference is that you have to invert the mouse in BF3, and I think the chopper is a tiny bit more sluggish in BF3. Jets are very similar too.

Frankly I think the choice to make it impossible to host a BF3 game at home is retarded.

My favourite play style at the moment is using the x4 scope with the starting Recon rifle. Long range sniping isn't an option but its brilliant for medium range.
    hightower1 wrote: »
    Cant get over how difficult they are to fly compared to other games that include vehicals?

Their instability turns into manoeuvrability once you get used to it. Like people. Standing on two legs is far less stable than on four, but with a brain to control it properly, we're able to dodge around like no four legged animal. Same deal, the chopper might seem like it flips or veers far too easily, but once you get used to it you can use that to your advantage. Most of the tricks I learned in BF2 carry over, including how to strafe left/right and how to fly backwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mozattack wrote: »
    I've unlocked the explosions add on thingy.

I can now throw down 6 mines in one life. In BC2 you could only have a maximum of 6 mines active at any one time, e.g. leave down 6 and when you go to leave down more the earlier one disappear. I assume this happens again in BF3 but does anyone know for certain?

Seems you can have as many mines as you like down at the same time.At one stage last night I had 20+ peppered all over the place.None of them disappeared as I put more down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Play the objective!

And by that I mean not just the primary objective (capture the flag or defend) but also the other secondary objectives.

For instance, if your team are pushing to flag A it may be better for you to flank around A rather than follow them in. You can become a spot and mobile flank point and also disorient the enemy into fighting on two fronts.

Scouts have a piece of equipment called a T-ugs which is great to keep near a flag (out of sight) as it shows up any of the creepy crawlers that belly dance their way a captured flag.

Stay out of the alley. You will no the one I am talking about.. It is best to keep the other two points taken and let the other team bleed tickets.

Every revive you perform refunds a ticket, if can revive, do revive.

Deaths cost tickets. Its better for you to spot two enemies and have someone else get the kills than for you to take both on an loose a ticket.

While K/D is not that important compared to games like COD, be aware that every death hurts your team. concentrate on staying alive and getting to the objective, killing should only be a secondary act to this.

Advertisement