Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

beno619 wrote: »
    Would have sworn I've tried that already.. Thanks for the help !

made you a video :)

/really just testing out Vdub 64 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

dreamers75 wrote: »
    beno619 wrote: »
    Would have sworn I've tried that already.. Thanks for the help !

made you a video :)

/really just testing out Vdub 64 :p

Agh I didn't know it took the place of ur gadget, Time for some noob tubbing ! Thanks mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I'm a good player, far from a noob anyway but I need help with something.
    Something that bugs me is that when I get revived I can get up pretty quickly but am unable to move forward for a second or two.
    When I watch people playing the game on youtube etc it seems like getting up and sprinting away is done in one movement, or at least a lot quicker and fluid. I'm playing on PC.

Say I was using default keys, what should I be pressing for the quickest revive? Cheers.

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    I'm a good player, far from a noob anyway but I need help with something.
    Something that bugs me is that when I get revived I can get up pretty quickly but am unable to move forward for a second or two.
    When I watch people playing the game on youtube etc it seems like getting up and sprinting away is done in one movement, or at least a lot quicker and fluid. I'm playing on PC.

Say I was using default keys, what should I be pressing for the quickest revive? Cheers.

Space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

A lot of the time it's not in your best interest to "accept" the revive, unless your teammate has killed the guy who shot you.
    Else you are giving him some more free kills.

There's nothing I like more than to kill someone, only to have his mate revive him and then take them both out. Think it goes for everyone

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »

There's nothing I like more than to kill someone, only to have his mate revive him and then take them both out. Think it goes for everyone

If you see his mate do you hold off firing until he has revived? I do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

SeantheMan wrote: »
    A lot of the time it's not in your best interest to "accept" the revive

I get up anyway. Sure, it's two kills for the other guy, but it's only 1 death for you and 1 lost ticket no matter how many times you're revived. The ticket is lost on respawn, not death and the death is only added to your K/D if you don't get revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Robby91 wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten a handle on weapons yet - I've copped that the I reticle is the one to work with for unguided rockets, but would I be correct in saying that it becomes less accurate as it moves further from the centre crosshair?
    ?

That doesn't seem to be the case in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAH-wXCOl5U&feature=related
    I can't remember how it is when I play, I have always used the centre cross-hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to be the case in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAH-wXCOl5U&feature=related
    I can't remember how it is when I play, I have always used the centre cross-hair.

Maybe my rocket pots (or my head...) aren't screwed on right then :pac: I'll have to give it another go tonight, but I would've sworn that my rocket pods were aiming in the general direction of the I reticle, although the offset from the centre crosshair was fairly noticeable during turning manuveurs so maybe that's why it seemed that way.

EDIT: Just tested it again there (on an empty Gulf of Oman server). The rockets are definitely not following my centre crosshair - I was lucky enough to put myself into a position where the I was hovering over the nose with the normal crosshair pointing over the tail, and all my rockets (before the I started to straighten itself out) ploughed into the nose of the havoc (and immediate vicinity), yet the video you've linked seems to show otherwise... although, an article on StackExchange did say this
    As an additional note, aligning the I-beam with the vertical bit of the crosshair ensures that your rockets will fly to their target. This also works by aligning the 'O' in between the two | | in the Sideslip Indicator
    Things were so much simpler as a foot soldier... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Robby91 wrote: »
    I would've sworn that my rocket pods were aiming in the general direction of the I reticle

I've always thought that the crosshair is what you aim with, and the I reticle is the displacement of the tail rotor, relative up/down/left/right to perfectly level flying.

If you're the pilot take a slow approach to your target off to one side, as level as you can to allow your gunner to soften up the tank and prepare yourself to turn and nose down aiming at the rear of the tank - unload all your rockets whether hit or miss. If you and your gunner are working together you can kill a tank in about 3 seconds.

This approach is particularly effective if you're engaging two tanks, you just don't nose down so much, so after you wipe out the first tank you're facing the rear of the second tank. I'd always prefer to attack the rear target first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

raze wrote: »
    I'd always prefer to attack the rear target first.

Don't we all. :D

d22ontour wrote: »
    Don't we all. :D

hahahhaha not helping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

It's really frustrating at times, you can get countless lock ons and noones equipped the javelin.

You get f-all points for SOFLAM targeting though.
    I teamed up with a randomer over the text chat and got him over 10K points from SOFLAMing on Sharqi while I sat at the bottom of the scoreboard.
    I'm setting up the location, targeting and notifying him of when to fire and keeping the sky clear for the team.
    He presses one button, blindfires and gets MVP.

After getting some abuse for "letting" one of the choppers take down the SOFLAM I decided to let it collect dust until I actually know the person I've teamed-up with.

(I know it's NOT about points etc etc, but there needs to be an incentive to use it in public matches)

EDIT: I meant to mention here that they kept stealing our chopper so they had two, didn't bother stopping them as we'd just javelin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

So, this topic piqued my interest in the SOFLAM and holy-****....after a quick search I think it works with the TOW launchers..... definitely going to try this after work. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

Klair88 wrote: »
    anyone have any tips for levelling up in choppers or jets, got the hang of flying them but not aiming and shooting. Its really hard especially the jet!

Best way to level up in an attack chopper imo is to be the gunner, and be in communication with the pilot. Just keep pressing the spot button as well to get a better idea of where targets are, because they can be hard to see from height.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Anyone having trouble leveling up in Jets should play the F35 maps, hover at an objective...instant points.

It seems like I'm always just a second behind everyone else, usually just as I'm getting/about to get a kill, one of his mates will hit me from the side or from behind, or I'll run around a corner straight into an enemy squad and get ventilated.
    My crappy connection doesn't help, but it can only partly explain how much I truly suck at this game. My KDR is .54 right now and I play all the classes, but mainly recon/support.
    Any tips/ideas based on this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It seems like I'm always just a second behind everyone else, usually just as I'm getting/about to get a kill, one of his mates will hit me from the side or from behind, or I'll run around a corner straight into an enemy squad and get ventilated.
    My crappy connection doesn't help, but it can only partly explain how much I truly suck at this game. My KDR is .54 right now and I play all the classes, but mainly recon/support.
    Any tips/ideas based on this info?

Play smart. It's not a dig at ya, just a requirement. Pay close attention to where people tend to group up and hide on certain maps. I'll get endless kills in the building between the Alpha and Bravo objectives on Kharg because people will always go there to snipe. It's easy dog tags at this point. Even better if they set up a Spawn Beacon.

The routes people take are worth remembering. About 70% of the players will run the same damn routes on objectives. If someone kills you in a truly sneaky way kill an enemy using just that method.

Do sneaky bastard things. On Rush I love setting up a Spawn Beacon on whichever M-Com we have already taken. Nobody even seems to go back there when they are defending.

Never rush headlong around corners, towards M-Coms or onto objectives.

If a guy in your squad is a great tank driver, or chopper pilot, spawn in with him and pay attention to what he does. I was endlessly getting merked in tanks until I went for a drive with a clan buddy and I learned a lot. Now if I get in a tank I'm looking at 10-15 kills easily before they can get me and I haven't been C4'd out of a tank in a long time.

Find a class and weapon that you feel comfortable with and just stay with it until your skill at the game improves.

When I first started playing I was getting killed all day, now if I see 3 to 4 bad guys pop up on a map I just make sure my clip is full then go and kill them all. It's all about practice and patience.

The guys I know who are the best players tend to mix caution with flat out cheekiness.

Cool! Thanks!

Just tried some cheekiness at M-Com B at the last part of the Kharg Island Rush. The M-Com was armed, and as the enemy was defusing it I used C4 to blow up the wall the the M-Com was at, from the outside, which killed the defuser, I ran in and shot several targets who were coming through the door and got kicked by an admin before the M-Com blew up so I don't know what happened in the end. But I'm pretty sure the guy I killed with the C4 was the Admin who kicked me.

I guess they didn't expect me to be able to flank them while their backs were against the wall.

Anyway, it's an example of thinking outside the box that immediately paid off. Thanks for the advice dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

The guys I know who are the best players tend to mix caution with flat out cheekiness.

That's the best explanation iv heard yet:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

An excellent excellent Assault guide.

Advertisement