Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.simplyelectronics.net ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Went through with the purchase before seeing your reply :) Think I got a good deal anyway, he adjusted the listing so I could bid on it and have it shipped here. He said postage to IRE would be £10, but I got him to do the lot for £355 including shipping :)

Works out around €415!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cormie wrote: »
    Went through with the purchase before seeing your reply :) Think I got a good deal anyway, he adjusted the listing so I could bid on it and have it shipped here. He said postage to IRE would be £10, but I got him to do the lot for £355 including shipping :)

Works out around €415!

good man, its alot of camera for the money!
    I can almost see the smile on your face now, bet you cant wait for the delivery :D It is for yourself isint it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Nope, but I might get to have a go of it :D

Worked out around €418 anyway with Paypals conversion rate etc so hopefully all goes well :)

Pretty happy anyway, was about to buy yesterday on amazon, the III lens, it was £355 in the morning time, then when I looked later, £362, decided to wait again to see if it would change and in the mean time I found out to go for the IS II lens instead and ended up getting that for £355 :) Not as safe a buy as it would be from amazon, but I'm sure it'll be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Doing today some research on a wide zoom for Canon. These prices are what I see this morning, and may change.

Lens|Park Cameras (£)|Amazon.co.uk (£)|SimplyElectronics (£)|One Stop (£)|Warehouse Express (£)|-|SimplyElectronics (€)|Amazon.de (€)|One Stop(€)
    EF 16-35 f2.8L|1149|1133|1019|1069|1169|-|1160|1189|1265
    EF 17-40 f4.0L|614|604|543|534|614|-|609|617|632
    EF 24-105 f4.0L|809|730|650|694|899|-|759|889|827
    EF 24-70 f2.8L|989|989|945|939|989|-|1065|1139|1110

Amazon.de looks very compeditive, given delivery is 2-3 days, and returns are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 majella mallon

I have bought a blackberry playbook from Simply Electronics, I usually stalk the internet for reviews on a company or product when I am purchasing on the net but with regard to Simply Electronice I only looked at a UK site that seemed to think they were all right. I bought the Blackberry and then no delivery -I then investigated further and saw bad reviews. I was to say the least -miffed, I was planning to do a right damning review on SE but then the product arrived albeit nearly a week late.
    In fact once DHL got their hands on the Blackberry I could track it easily.
    Simply Electronics did keep me informed albeit a little begrudgingly as in only when I contacted them. It was stated fairly honestly that they got overwhelmed with orders, but that was not my problem.
    So the bottom line is -they were 160 euro cheaper than Currys on this product. The product was perfect have it almost 3 weeks now with one year guarantee. I don't care if the product is an import from China or delivered from a house on an estate in Clapham I really don't give a rat's behind -we have been ripped off in this country for years albeit by polished salespeople. Their rate of honouring guarantees does not seem to be any worse than some of the major outlets after I scrutinised as many reviews as possible.
    But Simply Electronics should get there scheduling of orders in order, especially when the order is on route from invoicing to leaving the back door -this part is not trackable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm also seriously considering the Canon 1100D. I've been quoted 500 from John Gunn on Wexford St. I just called Harvey Norman and they said the camera is €549, even though their site says €499 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm also seriously considering the Canon 1100D. I've been quoted 500 from John Gunn on Wexford St. I just called Harvey Norman and they said the camera is €549, even though their site says €499 :confused:

http://checkargos.com/index.php?productId=5594463

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

John Gunn are selling it with the IS2 lens - from what I can see, this isn't the case with Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

hi guys,

i just today bought the apple ipad 2, for €435.95, with free postage, from
    www.simplyelectronics.net , i will let you all no how i got on with them, hopefully next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 columk

Hi,
    I found some discount codes for SE here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/simplyelectronics.net

Seems to be always one for orders over 350, I just used 'SAVE6JAN' to get 6 quid off. Also it's a bit confusing and I don't know what I clicked to do it but if you get the prices to display in euro it works out cheaper than converting the sterling (worked out €20 less for me)

Now I just have to wait and hope I don't get bamboozled eh? Seems to be what everyone goes through!

• Advertisement

You can get a 2% rebate buying through Fatcheese too.

Hey guys, just out of curiousity, what's Amazon.de like to buy from? Do you still get the free shipping? or does that not apply to Ireland on the .de site?

70-200 F/4 is less than a euro more expensive on Amazon.de than on SE. So would prefer to buy from Amazon.de if it's much the same as buying from Amazon.co.uk...?

Will you be charged VAT @23%? I was making a £99 purchase through Amazon.co.uk last week and it was coming through as €128, way off the exchange rate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Hey guys, just out of curiousity, what's Amazon.de like to buy from? Do you still get the free shipping? or does that not apply to Ireland on the .de site?

I buy regularly from .de and .co.uk, but most of my shipping is to a German address. There's a huge Amazon logistics center in Germany, and many orders from .co.uk and .de are delivered the next day or second day in Germany (books, games).

Looking at the .de help pages, it looks like above €20, most things are free delivery within Germany.

To Ireland (Irland) when "Internationale Express-Zustellung" can be applied, the delivery cost is at most €20.

Looking at the "Canon EF 70-200mm 1:4L USM Objektiv" which is €529, it can be shipped to an Irish address for less than €7.

Both of my L lenses were bought from .de last year, and I was very happy.

aidanic wrote: »
    I buy regularly from .de and .co.uk, but most of my shipping is to a German address. There's a huge Amazon logistics center in Germany, and many orders from .co.uk and .de are delivered the next day or second day in Germany (books, games).

Looking at the .de help pages, it looks like above €20, most things are free delivery within Germany.

To Ireland (Irland) when "Internationale Express-Zustellung" can be applied, the delivery cost is at most €20.

Looking at the "Canon EF 70-200mm 1:4L USM Objektiv" which is €529, it can be shipped to an Irish address for less than €7.

Both of my L lenses were bought from .de last year, and I was very happy.

Cheers for that.

Would you happen to know where you stand with repairs/replacements/refunds from .de? I've never needed to return anything to Amazon.co.uk, but I've heard it's ridiculously easy and hassle-free.

Is the same true for the .de site, would you know? If you want to complain about something, do you have to correspond in German? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mama3

I placed an order with them simplyelectronics.net on the 8th of January and although I keep ringing them they cannot tell me when the estimate dispatch *sigh*.... so now they have offered me a refund but I don't know whether to hold out for delivery (albeit very delayed) or take the refund.
    It was just 3 small items that I ordered 2 cheapish lenes and a flashgun but tbh they are way cheaper than anyone else.
    Maybe I should just take the refund - has anyone taken the refund route with them are were there any problems?

mama3 wrote: »
    I placed an order with them simplyelectronics.net on the 8th of January and although I keep ringing them they cannot tell me when the estimate dispatch *sigh*.... so now they have offered me a refund but I don't know whether to hold out for delivery (albeit very delayed) or take the refund.
    It was just 3 small items that I ordered 2 cheapish lenes and a flashgun but tbh they are way cheaper than anyone else.
    Maybe I should just take the refund - has anyone taken the refund route with them are were there any problems?

the reund will come through without hassle, especially that they have offered it. Whether to keep the order or not is up to you, but it depends on how much saving your making, if you need the items straight away and is the saving worth waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 columk

Hullo,

I'ma share my strange experience with SE here since boards helped me decide whether or not to order from them. It turns out well.

So I ordered a Tamron 17-50mm Lens and a UV filter from the website, but I never actually set up an account, I thought it would be part of the order process. The very first email I received from them was the order confirmation that told me I could check the progress of the order by logging in to my account, but I was never sent any account details such as a password to log in, so this was impossible. The email also said the products would be shipped in 1-2 days.

2 weeks later, I sent them a query via the website asking about my account, and another week after that I was sent an email with the 10 digit password for my account and also a message apologising for the delay. They said that I would be contacted as soon as the order was dispatched.

2 days later a DHL package arrived! I still haven't received any word about the order being dispatched, but the goods are in perfect nick and I've saved a buck without too much stress so I'm chuffed!

Once paypal have the payment on record then there's not likely to be any major disaster other than delays. 14th Jan - 7th Feb screen to hand, not too bad considering the lens was €100 cheaper than on pixmania and €300 less than in Conn's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mag Mell

Hey All,

I purchases a Nikon D7000 of Simply Electronics this month, they say that delivery, which is free, takes up to 14 days. I was wondering why my delivery status had not changed and I began to Google their worth as a company, I ventured onto this site and had the **** scared out of me by some of the reports - I paid via debit cash. 10 days after the payment had passed through PayPal I received a DHL tracking code and exactly 14 days after my order was processed my spanking new, in perfect order, Nikon was at my door. So if you are a little worried don't be until the 14 days have passed, after that I don't know.

I had to send back a Blackberry Playbook that was faulty (not simply electronics fault, fault with Blackberry software) it took a couple of weeks to get my new Blackberry Playbook. I panicked (rang, wrote, pleaded for speedy delivery)when I saw some of the reviews posted for simply electronics but I have to say now that they are slow but I did get my new updated Blackberry. They have a slow returns process I should have read the small print.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

i bought my Canon Powershot SX40 HS from them after my cousin bought a Nikon from them also, i got the camera and a 16GB SD card for considerably less than any shop offered, like others there was a delay with delivery (outside specified time), i phoned (they keep you holding for ages but they do say you can ring back from the same number and they will hold your place in the queue)... i was assured it was dispatched and they told me to ring back in a few days. Camera arrived, in perfect condition and have been snapping happily since BUT ...(there's always a but isn't there!) when i installed the software it asked me did i want to registered my product with Canon, which naturally i did after spending that sort of cash, i entered my serial number and was told by the Canon website that it wasn't a valid serial number. So i emailed their customer service (who were very helpful and friendly) after sending pics of everything i received from SE to Canon they got back to me saying that my camera was intended for sale in "the America's" and that's why i couldn't be registered in Europe and they advised me to return it and get a refund.... i didn't (i couldn't part with it once i had it in my hands LOL) but am terrified now in case something happens - who do i turn to for help/repair!?!?

So i suppose its buyer beware

Since you purchased from Simply Electronics I would suggest that you continue to phone and email them in order to get a product replacement.

Since you purchased from Simply Electronics I would suggest that you continue to phone and email them in order to get a product replacement.

SE give you your 12 month warranty directly with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9 szakul59

kassie wrote: »
    ..BUT ...(there's always a but isn't there!) when i installed the software it asked me did i want to registered my product with Canon, which naturally i did after spending that sort of cash, i entered my serial number and was told by the Canon website that it wasn't a valid serial number. So i emailed their customer service (who were very helpful and friendly) after sending pics of everything i received from SE to Canon they got back to me saying that my camera was intended for sale in "the America's" and that's why i couldn't be registered in Europe..

I am very worried this products (including all phones) may not be genuine but fakes produced in china...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

szakul59 wrote: »

I am very worried this products (including all phones) may not be genuine but fakes produced in china...

They are not fakes. I ordered camera gear from them before (3 times) and always got the stuff on time and no, they were not fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciaran321

I ordered a phone on 21st of May 2016.
    10 days later they said that they don't have it. So, I chose a different one.
    Then again silence for many days and no progress.
    On 9th of June I lost my patience and requested a full refund.
    When I am writting this comment, it is 7th of July and I haven't got my money back yet.

Refund status on their website is:

> Refund on Priority Rank
    > Apologies for the inconvenience. Your refund is on priority rank and is being treated with precedence. We will contact you once the refund is finalized.

Every time I remind them that they owe my money, I get the same kind of answer. Today I have got this:

> It is with great regret to hear that your funds have not been refunded yet.

> Our management team is looking into the delay. Refunds on the whole are normally processed much quicker. This could be related to a system issue on our part, but it would be unwise of me to speculate at this time.

> I have queried your refund request for you once more. We will be in contact if we need any further information from you facilitate the refund.

I'd like to warn everybody to stay away from them!

If you google around, you will find hundreds of similar opinions.

Advertisement