Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple wireless alarm

Options
  • 31-10-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to put in an alarm that is just for a front and a back door, there is no other way in so a PIR is not necessary.

So as far as I can tell I just need two detectors for the doors and and a bell, is there a simple way to do this ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

.....I just need two detectors for the doors and and a bell, is there a simple way to do this

Two wires and a tin can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

heinbloed wrote: »
    Two wires and a tin can?

lol, thats one option but unfortunately I wouldn't hear the tin can from where I am domiciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Alarms only alert you after someone has got in or damaged the door trying to get in. A well placed PIR outside could be a better deterrent as it goes off before anyone gets a chance of doing anything. Fit both.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Go to your local Pound Shop ( €2 Shop) and get as pack of 3 door alarms for €2.

They are magnetic switches which emit a very high pitched tone when door is opened. I think they are branded Blackspur. They have a small switch to disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Hi, I need to put in an alarm that is just for a front and a back door, there is no other way in so a PIR is not necessary.

So as far as I can tell I just need two detectors for the doors and and a bell, is there a simple way to do this ?

Thanks.

Have a look at the distributor list for alarm equipment here. The HKC Quantum comes in a pack form and is easy enough to set up yourself. Any problems, let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Thanks.
    Friedland also do an excellent wirefree contact that makes a very loud noise once the door is opened. Like what another contributor has described it too has a switch on it that disenables the contact. I think they are about €20 and would be available from an electrical wholesaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I got this type of system off ebay when I was building my house. It rang my mobile when the alarm was set off and it also sent me a text message if there was a power outage. You get a free sim card from any phone provider and programmed the alarm system it was quite simple to use.

Wireless GSM alarms from Ebay

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its really down to what sort of budget the OP has in mind.
    With DIY systems like whats listed you get what you pay for. Most of them don't conform to the required standards & give you a false sense of security. Some of these DIY external sirens are so obvious they are doing you more harm than good.

The Powermax Complete would be a good systems that would be easy to install & up to standards.

Sorry not been on today but thanks for the suggestions. Will look them up and come back, thanks again.

Hi, I have been offered an insurance company approved wireless alarm that consists of two door sensors, two PIRs and a panic fob installed for €500.

Is this good value ?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Depends on how much is left not covered.
    If this leaves ground floor and accessible windows and doors unalarmed then it's not sufficient. I would not recommend that type of system.

Hi, I have been offered an insurance company approved wireless alarm that consists of two door sensors, two PIRs and a panic fob installed for €500.

Is this good value ?

thanks

Very basic what you are getting in that pack Joe, Inertia/contacts covering the windows with one or 2 PIRs would be the type of system to go for.
    With your home setting did the installer explain what will be off at night and where he plans to install the PIRs, also is it just two contacts for the doors or a contact plus inertia/contact ?

Thanks Altor, It's not for my home it's for a very small shop. With regards to your inertia question I will have to ask.

Thanks Altor, It's not for my home it's for a very small shop. With regards to your inertia question I will have to ask.

Your welcome,
    Once you have enough protection then this may suit your shop.

Ok thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moved to HSS

Advertisement