Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmacud halloween bonfire

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've just come back from having a quick look at bonfire in the field beside Marsham Court in Kilmacud. It's always built in the same place, on the slightly raised part of the field marked by this black box:

mcbonfire.jpg

It looked quite small from the ones I remember building with friends in the late 1990s. (Lazy kids!)

From talking to a family friend who grew up near Lakelands on the other side of Stillorgan S.C., he told me that he and his friends used to head over from their housing estates to the same field to build a bonfire every halloween. We're talking about the late 1960s/early 1970s here. So there's been a bonfire in roughly the same spot for 40+ years, certainly before Marsham Court and other nearby housing estates were built.

Placing bonfire site in 1830s

mcbonfire2.jpg

and c1907:

mcbonfire3.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows if the bonfire dates back to before the 1960s and perhaps why there's been one there in that particular spot in that particular field?

Advertisement