Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wont sleep in cot

• 31-10-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, my ten month old son was always great to have bottle before bed and go into his cot and go straight asleep. the last couple of weeks he will not sleep in his cot he cries and cries and only seems to settle in the bed with one of us.
    is he way to young to sleep in bed?? even if it was secured with side supports etc. one of us would sleep with him in turn. it seems to be the only way that works these nights. i dont no what it is. he was great to sleep all nite in cot when he was younger. dont no what else to try to get our nights sleep as well. any one have any similar problems here, head is wrecked trying to figure this one out...... thanks in advance.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 9 month old does that occasionally too.
    Some nights she wnts the comfort of mammy but other nights she is fine in the cot. It helps my baby if I go to bed when she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

thanks moonbeam, i wish it was just occasionally but for the last couple of weeks it seems to be nearly every nite, and i know he is just exhausted going to bed, as been in the childminders during the day really tires him out. but he just fights the sleep and roars and screams in the cot till we pick him up, and the only way we can settle him in by lying down in the bed with him and letting him sleep in bed for the nite. i hope this doesnt continue for too long more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

David Coleman wrote an answer to a similar problem in his weekly piece in the Irish independent yesterday. I'm on my iPhone do can't/don't know how to attach a link but look it up. He basically said go with what your little fella feels secure doing so if it's sleeping with you then do that. It makes the child feel secure and takes the stress out of the situation for the parents.

It makes sense but I know cosleeping isn't for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

We had the same with our lad when he was about 10 months so we put him into his own bed and he started to sleep much better. He's now 16 months and has learned how to climb out of his bed and he comes into our room every morning at 6 now for the last hour or so of sleep!! Everyone now gets a proper nights sleep so I dont mind that.

thanks how strange and ballyman, glad to hear im no alone on this one, i must look that artical on the irish independant too thanks. and for getting his own bed we had considered that but wasnt sure whether he too young but its good to here your son is settled in his bed now.
    we just felt lost the last couple weeks not knowing what to do when he doesnt settle in his cot. thanks again for your replies.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Does he sleep OK i the childminders cot in the day time? On your days off, does he sleep in the cot for his naps?

Maybe he had a bad experience.

hi wmpdd3, he was never great to sleep in his cot during the day, he sleeps in his buggy in the childminders for his naps and on my days off he normally would fall asleep having his bottle and i would put him into the travelcot/playpin thing that i have downstairs, mind you he is not great to sleep during the day, maybe an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. guess i just have to stick with what ever his comfortable with and happy, hate to see him roaring and screaming when he is in the cot at night time.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

This too will pass...

OP, I feel for you. My kids both went through something similar around this age, around the same time they were fully weaned, just before they started walking. An older lady with many children and grandchildren told me that child development is like breathing- before they can go out into the world they need to come back in to you for support. The best thing you can do is to make sure your little one is secure, know that its not forever, and look forward to the reward of their first steps or words.

All the best.

hi rosy posy, thanks so much for your reply, its good to hear it gets better aftertime. i look foward to the first steps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

jackben wrote: »
    hi wmpdd3, he was never great to sleep in his cot during the day, he sleeps in his buggy in the childminders for his naps and on my days off he normally would fall asleep having his bottle and i would put him into the travelcot/playpin thing that i have downstairs, mind you he is not great to sleep during the day, maybe an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. guess i just have to stick with what ever his comfortable with and happy, hate to see him roaring and screaming when he is in the cot at night time.thanks

My little one did go through something like that, she always slept in the buggy for naps and the odd time the travel cot. She slept in the crib for about 2 months from 3 months to 5 months. But after that, when she could stand up she would fight sleep every night.

I couldnt do the 'cry it out' thing, she'd just cry so much she'd puke.

I have to admit I brought the buggy upstairs a few nights!!

We started putting her in the cot for naps when her legs got too long for the buggy, we were shocked that she stayed there.

Bit by bit she got used to her cot especially her 10am nap, she'd grab the bottle and put herself to sleep in the cot drinking it.

I know its a hassel for the childminder but maybe she could try a travel cot with the same blanket as you have at home, in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

jackben your sons naps are grand. My fella has always been a catnapper so it's always 45mins maximum unless he had a bad night before.

As for the cot I agree with wmpdd3, get him used to it during the day first. Give your childminder the travel cot and ask that she tries getting him used to napping there instead of the buggy. I suppose it's important to be consistent.

thanks wmpdd3 and how strange, i no the crying thing i cant handle, not fair leaving him cry like that, the childminder has tried him few times in the cot during the day but wouldnt settle for her. but i must ask her to stay trying and see what happens. at this minute his asleep in his buggy for morning nap, but ill just have to stick with it i guess... happy days:):)

Advertisement