Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google to charge for Maps API usage

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Google Maps to charge for usage
    Users of Google Map links for their websites will be charged for heavy usage of the service, it has been revealed.

From 1 January 2012, Google will charge for the Google Maps API service when more than the limit of 25,000 map "hits" are made in a day.

Websites, especially travel firms, use Google Maps to link customers to a view of the destinations they inquire about.

Google is rumoured to be charging $4 per 1,000 views in excess of the limit.

Google maintains the high limit of 25,000 free hits before charging "will only affect 0.35% of users".

'Secure future'
    Google said it was aware that developers needed time to evaluate their usage, determine if they were affected and then take action as appropriate.

"We understand that the introduction of these limits may be concerning," said Thor Mitchell, product manager of the Maps API at Google.

"However, with the continued growth in adoption of the Maps API, we need to secure its long-term future by ensuring that even when used by the highest-volume for-profit sites, the service remains viable. "

I wonder how or will this is going to affect mobile app developers especially?

I am wondering what exactly is a hit?

One I.P. / one session calling the maps but with unlimited queries, or is every zoom a new hit etc.?

Will it discourage mobile app makers from making free apps?

Will there be issues with rivals loading each-other with hits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

A "map load" counts as a user opening a page with the app on it. The degree to which a user interacts with a map once it has been loaded has no impact on the usage limits.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/27/google_maps_api_no_longer_free/

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2011/10/introduction-of-usage-limits-to-maps.html

Others have introduced charges and invariably the question of what constitutes a hit has been the biggest point of confusion. This seems the simplest approach.

Anyone who simply uses the "Link to this Page" option in order to embed a map within their site won't incur a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mstester

I know for my company this will be a BIG hit, we deal in the travel sector and use maps extensively throughout our site and mobile apps.

We're considering moving to Bing but I'm sure Microsoft will soon be charging.

Thankfully our company can (if we have to) take the hit, but I feel bad for companies who's revenues will not allow them to continue using maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Bing do charge on a per hit basis. Prices vary, more or less depending upon who you are.

The last time I saw one of their price sheets a hit constituted 8 map tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

From what I could tell and read about it, it's only if your map gets hits in the 10s of thousands and then it's pretty minor. For the most of us it's nothing to worry about - for the major corporations who get that many hits through the maps API's, it's a drop in the ocean I'm sure.

Advertisement