Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on stopping biting

• 31-10-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

11 week old biting me, only me :confused: wont bite my other dogs or cat. Licks them and wont bite my son.

Now I know she is only playing but its bloody sore her teeth are like pins :eek:

I've done the ah ah, putting her down on the ground when she starts but just wont stop.

Any tips?

Oh and she has more toys then Smyths :o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

what i did for my pup when he wouldnt stop was put his head between my legs while standing and holding him in place but be careful not to choke your pup. she will try wriggle out just hold her until she is completely calm then let her go and ignore her for about 30 seconds. I had to do this every single time my bully did this, its very time consuming but I found it worked with him. He still does it with me while im sitting on the ground at his level but im working on that at the moment with the same approach and hes getting better. Hope this works for your pup as i know how annoying their play biting can get. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

what i did for my pup when he wouldnt stop was put his head between my legs while standing and holding him in place but be careful not to choke your pup. she will try wriggle out just hold her until she is completely calm then let her go and ignore her for about 30 seconds. I had to do this every single time my bully did this, its very time consuming but I found it worked with him. He still does it with me while im sitting on the ground at his level but im working on that at the moment with the same approach and hes getting better. Hope this works for your pup as i know how annoying their play biting can get. best of luck

I will try this BUT my pups head is about the size of your bullys paw ;) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

The puppy is trying to and needs to learn bite inhibition in other words how much is too much. Basically when he bites, if you feel teeth at all squeal really loudly, like a puppy, as high pitched and loud as you can. He'll pick it up pretty quick plus you'll have thought him one of his most important lessons :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

:eek:

Alternatively, you can put pup on a "Time Out". This is a gentle and non-physical way of teaching a pup to soften and give up biting humans.
    For the record, it is better for a pup to bite than not to bite: if they don't bite as pups, they tend not to learn how not to bite, if you see what I mean. It's important for pups to learn how to soften their bite, which they can't do if they don't bite at all!
    So, the first step of this is to continue giving her an "ah ah" or "ouch": you were on the right track here!
    Most pups back off at first, but usually they start to ignore it and come at you to bite again.
    Now that she has ignored your warning, she can be put on "Time Out". You either get up and walk away from her (but she may follow you grabbing at your trouser legs) or, put her into a room on her own for about 30 seconds... not longer. This room should be "boring", she shouldn't be able to have fun whilst she's in there. It is also preferable to have a string/lead attached to her collar so you can lead her to this place, rather than picking her up or scooting her out (never leave this string/lead attached to her when she's unsupervised): it's better if you don't have to interact with her in any way whilst she's brought to her Time Out place.
    When she's done her 20-30 seconds, let her back out and act like nothing happened.
    This may have to be repeated a lot at first, but don't give up! It eventually teaches pup that when you say "ouch" and she ignores it, she pays a consequence. So, the pup starts to heed your "ouch" and backs off before biting again. This is a nice gentle way of creating a consequence for pup's bad behaviour, effectively mimicking what her siblings will have done when she played too rough with them.
    Good luck with this most joful part of puppy rearing:p

Thanks a mill DBB going to give this a try. I know she is going to cry in the room :( but I will give it a go. She is the only pup i've every had that has done this so bad, maybe its the terrier :confused: but my hands cant take much more :o

Appreciate this :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Justask wrote: »
    Thanks a mill DBB going to give this a try. I know she is going to cry in the room :( but I will give it a go. She is the only pup i've every had that has done this so bad, maybe its the terrier :confused: but my hands cant take much more :o

Awww! Well, it's important not to free her whilst she's crying... you could create a whole new problem.
    Don't sweat about the amount of time she's on Time Out for, even 5-10 seconds will do for a pup to make your point.
    Terrier? Digging her heels in? What? :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yelping didn't really work with our guy but time out did. His bold phrase is 'too bad!!' so i'd say that before putting him out and he learned that 'too bad = game over and stopped messing! He has a friend around the same age and size so we'd let them have a play - if one bit too hard the other would give a yelp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

barbiegirl wrote: »
    The puppy is trying to and needs to learn bite inhibition in other words how much is too much. Basically when he bites, if you feel teeth at all squeal really loudly, like a puppy, as high pitched and loud as you can. He'll pick it up pretty quick plus you'll have thought him one of his most important lessons :-)

+1 on this advice have been doing this the past few days with my puppy and he has almost completely stopped. Loads of chewy toys helps too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ha, our border collie does this.

And when there are no sheep around to herd she herds any children in the house.
    Or even me and nips my heels :D

Lots of good suggestions here and the chewy toys will wear the pup out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Squealing/yelping worked for us too - more so for my OH as my yelp is a bit too deep and not at all like a puppy's.

• Advertisement

Omg Im rubbish :o I did the squeling thing and she tilted her head to the side with the ears up an waht did I do..... yes Laughed :o I cant do that I just keep laughing at her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

But - she did stop biting you....
    Her reaction is perfectly normal :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The yelping is what I used for my boy and it worked brilliantly with him. Akitas are very mouthy and now he will actually put his mouth around my hand, without a single tooth touching my skin. Anytime when he was small that his teeth even came close, I'd yelp and he had it worked out fairly fast. If you can add a puppy-like whimper after the yelp, it worries them and they tend to come running back licking you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I agree with giving a loud squeal when they bite , then refusing to play or acknowledge them for a few mins. After a few goes they generally learn , some dogs are just mouthy when they grow up as long as they learn its not acceptable to put any pressure with their teeth when doing it.

Advertisement