Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview and Lidl offer

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Lidl had an offer recently of Saorview box for €49.99

Great , so my friend started queueing at 7.30am , just to ensure everything went okay .

Got to the check-out with the last Saorview box that was in stock.

Delighted he made his purchase and definately received a bargain.

However , the customer in front of him bought 3 Saorview boxes , and the customer in front of that customer bought 2 Saorview boxes .

Needless to say , there were many unhappy shoppers that morning , as this offer was sold-out within an hour .

What I would like to know , is there any general ruling on this . Should it be one per customer , or is is okay to buy as many as you can afford /want .

How can this Supermaket sell Saorview for €49.99 when cheapest elsewhere is around €85

Note : It does say on website that '' only available while stocks last ''
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_14607.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

no law against it unless they stated 1 per customer wich they didnt ,

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

They probably didnt know that there would be that big of a turn out ! But they should of said 1 per customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Shops can impose quotas if they want, but it's up to them.

Lidl can sell at those prices as they achieve huge economies of scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Power City have Saorview boxes for €59.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

ya 49E isnt outstanding value about 10-20 euro cheaper than the bigger electrical and tv stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

skinny90 wrote: »
    ya 49E isnt outstanding value about 10-20 euro cheaper than the bigger electrical and tv stores

Some people must have found it outstanding value, or they wouldn't have queued up to buy one, or even more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

queing up to save a 10-20 quid??its gud value but my point was that the op said they where no cheaper than 85euros, if he/she had looked around the average price is 60-70 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 14,419 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lidl had an offer recently of Saorview box for €49.99

Great , so my friend started queueing at 7.30am , just to ensure everything went okay .

Got to the check-out with the last Saorview box that was in stock.

Delighted he made his purchase and definately received a bargain.

However , the customer in front of him bought 3 Saorview boxes , and the customer in front of that customer bought 2 Saorview boxes .

Needless to say , there were many unhappy shoppers that morning , as this offer was sold-out within an hour .

What I would like to know , is there any general ruling on this . Should it be one per customer , or is is okay to buy as many as you can afford /want .

How can this Supermaket sell Saorview for €49.99 when cheapest elsewhere is around €85

Note : It does say on website that '' only available while stocks last ''
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_14607.htm

might have had 3 old Tv's

might be buying one for himself and one for each grandparent !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I bought one in Argos a couple of months ago for €49. There was stock available for a long time there and no rush to buy them. Maybe the Lidl box is better?

Must have been some reason to queue at that time of the morning?

skinny90 wrote: »
    queing up to save a 10-20 quid??its gud value but my point was that the op said they where no cheaper than 85euros, if he/she had looked around the average price is 60-70 euros

Given the present state of the average consumer's finances, I can understand why some people would want to queue up to save €10 to €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its all part of their marketing campaign.

Take one very good offer, sell at or below cost, only supply 10 per store and have people talking about how their great offer sold out and that there was queues down at lidl for the wonderful offers.

aldi do the same, its all for show, if they were interested in selling these offers they would have alot more in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I might have a possible answer, Gay was on the four show and the lidl box was mentioned. Add that to that sense of panic certain sections of Irish nation regularly experience (Those that listen to liveline and watch RTE 1 television in the afternoon!) and you'll sell out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

It's a year till we change, those boxes will all be 50 euro and lower by then!

padocon wrote: »
    It's a year till we change, those boxes will all be 50 euro and lower by then!

Some people are still taking the piss with "bargains" like this.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

you can buy them off ebay from Hong Kong but there not "SAORVIEW APPPPPPROVEEED" for €25 free delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MiseEireannach

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some people are still taking the piss with "bargains" like this.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

In fairness TVtrade.ie have a range of DTT set top boxes including this one for eur42. Now that's hardly taking the piss. http://www.tvtrade.ie/dtt.html

For anyone interested in finding out about DTT options this website has some excellent you-tube videos. I'd recommend a combo box (Saorview and Satellite all in one). I got one and it's brill. As close as you'll get to Sky with no monthly sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

In fairness TVtrade.ie have a range of DTT set top boxes including this one for eur42. Now that's hardly taking the piss. http://www.tvtrade.ie/dtt.html

For anyone interested in finding out about DTT options this website has some excellent you-tube videos. I'd recommend a combo box (Saorview and Satellite all in one). I got one and it's brill. As close as you'll get to Sky with no monthly sub.

I think the price for most people will be (€50.82 inc VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MiseEireannach

bossdrum wrote: »
    I think the price for most people will be (€50.82 inc VAT)

Good spot - Didn't notice that prices are ex VAT. Still looks reasonable at eur50 though??

Good spot - Didn't notice that prices are ex VAT. Still looks reasonable at eur50 though??

Don't forget to add €7.50+vat delivery to that = another €8.57

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As the site owner points out:
    Disadvantages of the Triax Saorview Receiver
    Not a Combo Receiver (Irish Saorview Channels only)
    It is more expensive than other Saorview and Generic DTT receivers

• Advertisement

As the site owner points out:

I should have put more effort into looking at the site.:(

..even so, their description seems more like an invitation from them not to buy it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

On the point of 'customer quotas', where I work, if there is a quota, it is built into the tills, so you can't sell more than the quota per transaction.

There is no point, all you get is moaning people who complain to everyone, even letters to the chief executive! and get customer service vouchers. All this over boxes of sweets or Easter Eggs.

All they have to do is come back a few hours later, the shop is so busy you'd never know if someone had been in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

lads and ladies i dont think people should buy them but instead wait and hold off
    this is the same thing as rte turning off the am radio signal. Where RTE were made give a €50 token or something like that (forget the actual price)...

Advertisement