Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing bread?

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

How would one go about freezing a loaf of sliced sandwich bread?
    Freeze the entire loaf in original packaging, unopened? Freeze individual slices each in a freezer bag?

Also, how about thawing? In the fridge? In the toaster? In the microwave? On the counter?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

If you have a fairly modern fridge/freezer you will be able to freeze the whole sliced pan in its packaging and peel individual slices off.

You can put the slices directly into the toaster or leave them to defrost. Bread has such a low density that a separated slice will defrost within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The way I’ve done it is to put the whole unopened loaf in the freezer and then leave the whole loaf out on the counter to defrost.

Sometimes if I taken out individual slices I think it makes the top ‘exposed’ slice taste like frost when I have it. Or if I leave the whole loaf frozen for too long it all tastes like frost. Yes, I can taste frost… some people find that odd :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I put the whole loaf in and use the slices one at a time as I need them. They come apart no problem, and the defrosted bread is perfect for sambos – it defrosts well and doesn’t go hard. Great if there are only one or two of you in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Same. I only buy/cook for me so if I didn't freeze bread it would just be a waste. It's totally defrosted within about 5 minutes of sitting out of the freezer anyway so it's not a problem for sandwiches, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thanks everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

woodchuck wrote: »
    The way I’ve done it is to put the whole unopened loaf in the freezer and then leave the whole loaf out on the counter to defrost.

Sometimes if I taken out individual slices I think it makes the top ‘exposed’ slice taste like frost when I have it. Or if I leave the whole loaf frozen for too long it all tastes like frost. Yes, I can taste frost… some people find that odd :o

I'm the same, I hate that freezer burn taste. I can actually smell it too, so thankfully I don't have to taste it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

MaudL wrote: »
    I'm the same, I hate that freezer burn taste. I can actually smell it too, so thankfully I don't have to taste it :rolleyes:

As long as the bread is covered, should be ok! And not left in the freezer too long either.

Advertisement