Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on career change?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been working in tech support for 4 years and want a change. I haven't been that well but now that I'm feeling better I want to do something better.

I have no college degree, I have an A+ and N+ (I know these are not that valuable). I'm not really interested in Windows but would like working with Linux I think, data centre jobs would be most interesting to me.

Does anyone think it would be possible for me to get into a position like this given my education. I am quick to learn though and computer issues come naturally to me and I have a good understanding.

I'm also interested in programming but in something like C or Python as opposed to Java or the like.

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd imagine it could be hard to break into (I'm a Windows Server/Network admin myself with zero Linux experience) but probably better asking this over in Work & Jobs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you have the means, study for the CCNA/CCNP and RHCT exams.

Start building out virtual machines on your home computer to learn more about Linux.

Build Linux from scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Practice scripting in Bash, Perl, Python and PHP.

Read up on configuration tools like Chef and Puppet.

With your interest in programming, possibly something along the lines of a DevOps role might be more interesting for you. Either way, that should get you started on the Linux path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 UnCorked

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been working in tech support for 4 years and want a change. I haven't been that well but now that I'm feeling better I want to do something better.

I have no college degree, I have an A+ and N+ (I know these are not that valuable). I'm not really interested in Windows but would like working with Linux I think, data centre jobs would be most interesting to me.

Does anyone think it would be possible for me to get into a position like this given my education. I am quick to learn though and computer issues come naturally to me and I have a good understanding.

I'm also interested in programming but in something like C or Python as opposed to Java or the like.

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks.
    You should start playing around with opensource technologies at home which would give you a better idea for what goes on in todays datacenter. VirtualBox, Openfile, etc...Also you can download many VMware software packages and trial them for free..highly recommended.

Advertisement